Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Firewood ugh!

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Firewood ugh!

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:40 am

Finished hauling my firewood from the bottom of my property yesterday. I had a couple of dozen dead trees that needed to come down plus after splitting the wood I had cut last year I knew I didn’t have enough for next season. Here it is waiting to be run thru the splitter and stacked which will start tomorrow. Most of the trees were small but I had about a half dozen nice sized pines and some medium sized firs.

What I had split already.

02DDB5CA-70E5-44DC-AFDB-93956BC556AC.jpeg
02DDB5CA-70E5-44DC-AFDB-93956BC556AC.jpeg (5.08 MiB) Viewed 2012 times

What is ready to be split

7B6DDA0B-67AF-4488-8A82-8D61A3031C30.jpeg
7B6DDA0B-67AF-4488-8A82-8D61A3031C30.jpeg (6.17 MiB) Viewed 2012 times
1F1A0453-3CAE-4598-9432-00F72E7DCD86.jpeg
1F1A0453-3CAE-4598-9432-00F72E7DCD86.jpeg (5.83 MiB) Viewed 2012 times
B7D7E652-FD3F-4D32-B0B1-ACB168C33F83.jpeg
B7D7E652-FD3F-4D32-B0B1-ACB168C33F83.jpeg (5.91 MiB) Viewed 2012 times

Hard but satisfying work that will pay great benefits. :)
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Firewood ugh!

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:19 am

Tell the kid to come by that you wanna show him something
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:54 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:19 am
Tell the kid to come by that you wanna show him something
:lol: He’s chomping at the bit waiting for me to finish so he can borrow my splitter and get his done. I like you suggestion better.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:29 am

One way to get the splitter quicker is come help. Tell him to bring the Alaskan Amber
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:26 pm

I remember it well. Our old farm in VA sat on nearly 20 acres of hardwoods in the foothills of the mountains. We invested in a very nice woodstove and rarely had to run the furnace. The woodstove was so efficient we had to crack the windows in the winter to cool the place. :D The woodstove and hydraulic ram splitter paid for themselves the first winter. Not only could we gather seasoned deadfall on our 20 acres, but a friend had 500 acres of cattle farm a short drive away and was happy to have us clear deadfall anywhere on the property. The old Ford 4x4 would go anywhere and did...
Spring and fall, we spent several days a month working to fill the 12x12 pole barn beside the house with firewood. Usually a couple cords got us thru the winters.

We heated with the woodstove until MY health got too far gone to allow the use of the chainsaw. (Total knee replacement and the lower back finally gave up the ghost.) The Ortho Doc finally ordered me to leave the chainsaws alone. We kept the woodstove in place for emergencies until we got the whole house gennie, then sold it.

woodcutting 071031 10 comp.jpg
woodcutting 071031 10 comp.jpg (197.22 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:10 am

BigAl, unfortunately that son of mine still has to work full time so he’s pretty tied up M-F. If I waited for him I wouldn’t get anything done. :lol:

BOM, I sure wish I had access to hardwood. Around here it’s mostly pine and fir. I can buy firewood and get Tamarack and Red Fir but here on my place the few Tamaracks I have will not be touched unless they die. My neighbor lost one a few years ago that I burned this year and it sure burns longer than pine. But the price is right for now at least until I run out of dead trees to cut.

Made a big dent in my pile yesterday but today is golf and tomorrow is an upper scope with anesthesia (just a follow up) so it will be Friday before i get back to it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:10 am

BOM, I sure wish I had access to hardwood. Around here it’s mostly pine and fir. I can buy firewood and get Tamarack and Red Fir but here on my place the few Tamaracks I have will not be touched unless they die. My neighbor lost one a few years ago that I burned this year and it sure burns longer than pine. But the price is right for now at least until I run out of dead trees to cut.

Made a big dent in my pile yesterday but today is golf and tomorrow is an upper scope with anesthesia (just a follow up) so it will be Friday before i get back to it.
It was really nice to burn the hardwood every winter. The supply was free, and about endless with the two supplies we had. It also kept the property neat. We would cut and split the driest for the coming year, and cut and stack 18" log sections to dry for the next year. I built a 12x12 pole barn for a woodshed, same design I used as the 12x24 stall and hay barn in the lower pasture. Twenty plus years later they were both still standing and hadn't leaked a drop.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:16 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 pm
Hatchdog wrote:

It was really nice to burn the hardwood every winter. The supply was free, and about endless with the two supplies we had. It also kept the property neat. We would cut and split the driest for the coming year, and cut and stack 18" log sections to dry for the next year. I built a 12x12 pole barn for a woodshed, same design I used as the 12x24 stall and hay barn in the lower pasture. Twenty plus years later they were both still standing and hadn't leaked a drop.
Well done, always feels good to do it right! When I had my metal shop built I put a 12’ lean to on both sides. The side facing the house I had 20’ enclosed to serve as a wood shed and storage for some “stuff”. I was going to leave the roof off the front 20’ but my wife suggested leaving it covered so I could work (split) in bad weather if I chose. Sure glad she made the suggestion as that cover has come in handy many times. When I had an inspection of my place by the DNR fire dept the inspector commented that having my firewood enclosed in metal was great for wildfire protection.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:36 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:16 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 pm
Hatchdog wrote:

Well done, always feels good to do it right! When I had my metal shop built I put a 12’ lean to on both sides. The side facing the house I had 20’ enclosed to serve as a wood shed and storage for some “stuff”. I was going to leave the roof off the front 20’ but my wife suggested leaving it covered so I could work (split) in bad weather if I chose. Sure glad she made the suggestion as that cover has come in handy many times. When I had an inspection of my place by the DNR fire dept the inspector commented that having my firewood enclosed in metal was great for wildfire protection.
I had often been told that I over-engineered my designs. BUT, the extra effort/cost usually was justified down the road. The second winter after we built the barns and the wood storage we got a heavy snow, and had drifts about four to six feet. My roof lines didn't even sag. My father in law who had built a pole barn for his cow on his two acres adjacent to our farm... had his entire structure collapse under the weight.

That spring he watched us building our deck. He stood around making comments.
"I wouldn't do that. You don't need all that. What a waste of money to use 2x10s"
I finally told him he could stay and watch without the running commentary, or go home. He shut it.
After our deck was done, he came over and asked me to draw up plans and a materials list for a deck for his place. ;)
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:49 am

Mine is done and beat the black fly hatch!
Attachments
20230422_083521.jpg
20230422_083521.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
0 x