Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Inverted Gazebo Roof

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Inverted Gazebo Roof

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:13 am

Many of you probably didn't know but in Minnesota snow is so precious that every fall we invert our gazebo roofs in order to catch every wonderful flake! :lol: :D :lol: :lol:
Or should I say that I am in the dog house because I forgot to take off the cover for the winter! Happy New Year everyone!
Attachments
inverted gazebo roof.jpg
inverted gazebo roof.jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Inverted Gazebo Roof

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 am

Well that makes sense as it rarely snows in Minnesota, right? :lol:

Hope your doghouse is heated. :D
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:05 am

Oops. Can you fix it?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am

Cool chime you have!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:37 am

We don't have that particular problem here. But occasionally a roof will get airborne and end up in the next county. :roll:
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:41 am

The gazebo is about 20 years old and that is the third cover... And that cover was already shot.... I think that I am going to keep the frame and try and make some sort of permeant roof over it... And yes, one wind was just right a couple of years ago and lifted it about 10' in the air and planted it upside down in our pool!
0 x

Spade5
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Spade5 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:33 pm

I have close to zero experience with snow, but your picture reminded me of something I have often wondered about. For places that have quite a bit of snow fall, do you have to do anything about snow on the roof of your house? I heard a comment on a ham radio net the other day where a guy in one of our northern states say he had to get on the roof and sweep or shovel the snow off. I didn't get a chance to ask him if he was kidding.

We had several inches of snow just south of Houston in I think 1959 when I was in junior high and again in Houston about 2004. Other than that the only experience I have had was in Edmonton where I learned you have to get the snow off the hood of the rental car and in Minneapolis where I learned you cannot see the lane markers on the freeway so just follow the guy in front of you.
2 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:12 pm

If you get a foot or two it is a good idea to get the weight off the roof before you get more snow. And as for following the guy in front....better hope you are following the right guy.
2 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:03 pm

We don't get much snow here in SW Virginia, especially lately, but every once in a while we can sure get a whopper. The last big snow about 5 or 6 years ago was big enough for me to want to shovel some of it off the roof. I had to make my own "roof rake" and before I got finished with it, I decided to get a real one. It's still in the box, never used. Works great, buy it and you then won't need it, lol.
1 x
NRA Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:06 am

Newer construction homes in my area have 60 lb snow load trusses in them which makes roof shoveling really not necessary. Older homes do need it and I can remember as a kid us shoveling off the roof of our 1940’s house. A bigger problem with older homes that have lots of heat escape is ice dams. The inside temps of the house melts the snow on the roof and as the water runs down it hits the area where the external wall meets the roof. Due to the cold air under the eves the water freezes and over time builds up an ice dam. This dam can puddle water which then can creep back up under your shingles and leak into your house. We always would use a roof rake to pull a couple of feet of snow off the roof making sure to go beyond the wall. This prevented the dams. I still do this but it’s probably not necessary as my home is newer construction and much tighter that older homes. Just a habit I can’t break. I did buy a nice lightweight snow rake and junked the extremely heavy rake my dad built. That was a workout. :(

I have a metal building with a metal roof and I ordered 40 lb snow load trusses when it was built. Nice thing about a metal roof is the snow will slide off.

C0F86032-84FE-453E-A334-BEBF3182D975.jpeg
C0F86032-84FE-453E-A334-BEBF3182D975.jpeg (141.37 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
1 x