Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rats!

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Rats!

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Alberta has no rats. No idea how they claim this but they do. Must be the only place on earth if it's true.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:33 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:08 pm
RAT-X may take time to work, but it shouldn't hurt the Little Girl Rodent Control Officer or wildlife. I just hope the Rat and it's family die where you can remove them once they've start to smell.
That is the best part of X. It works by telling the rat it isn’t thirsty and it dies of dehydration, usually in its nest in an almost mummified state. This isn’t Little Girl’s first rat fink.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:41 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:08 pm
Had no idea you have an HW70. Don't see many those around. Cool vintage Beeman.
I bought it from txgunrunner about six years ago.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 pm

The old farmers my grandfather hung out with when I was but a youngster, mixed the same dry plaster of paris used by the art teachers, and sugar, in equal parts and left it in areas of the barns the cats and dogs couldn't reach. The rats lapped up the sugar... The plaster of paris soaked up the moisture in their stomachs and began to harden, thirsty, they left the buildings in search of water... Dead rat skeletons with plaster of paris insides would turn up now and then. What they didn't do is die in the walls or under floors.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:57 pm

I had a Pack Rat family living in a metal shed years ago. The 2 males were so curious they came right up to the end of barrel of my Crossman pump to get shot, I would have had to take the scope off as it was dark in shed compared to outside the doorway and I couldn't see anything through the scope. Got the female with a rat trap. She was at least twice the size of the males.

They sure made a mess of my shed in short order, anything that was shiny and small enough for them to move ended up in a couple of buckets along with many Nectarine pits from the orchard next door.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:58 pm

I bet Alberta has Rats RR some of them just dont have 4 legs
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:45 am

Those late nights I couldn't sleep, I'd watch you tube vids of the Brits sniping rats with high power pellet guns with night vision. They'd go to farms and shoot in the various barns, shoot at the dumps, or on the piers. Big rats.

Then I tripped over the Iguana hunters in Florida. Same deal, but they call the PD and tell them where they plan to be, and bang away in the park, behind shopping centers, along canals. The iguana had become as big an issue as the boas and pythons.

Those pellet guns really whack em.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:51 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 pm
The old farmers my grandfather hung out with when I was but a youngster, mixed the same dry plaster of paris used by the art teachers, and sugar, in equal parts and left it in areas of the barns the cats and dogs couldn't reach. The rats lapped up the sugar... The plaster of paris soaked up the moisture in their stomachs and began to harden, thirsty, they left the buildings in search of water... Dead rat skeletons with plaster of paris insides would turn up now and then. What they didn't do is die in the walls or under floors.
Looked into this issue recently and discovered the plaster of paris recipe. Works well in that they die somewhere else after seeking water. Saw this on YouTube. They say a mixture with baking soda works also.
Lots of ideas on YouTube.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:12 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:41 pm
North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:08 pm
Had no idea you have an HW70. Don't see many those around. Cool vintage Beeman.
I bought it from txgunrunner about six years ago.
I bought my Izzy pistol for him, too. That was a great buy, because the Izzy, being a Baikal (Russian made gun) was hit with sanctions during the Obama years and the supply dried up. I have recently heard, though, a copy of the Izzy is now being made by another outfit that is not a Russian military gun maker, so the Izzy lives on for us on this side of the pond. It may look odd, but the IZH-46M is a superbly accurate 10 meter competition pistol. It could handle an indoor rat problem, too.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:17 am

The Europeans and the Brits in particular, due to power restrictions on airguns, have a long history of using low powered airguns for pest control and small game hunting. The secret is simply putting the pellet where it needs to go.
1 x