Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Started a table saw sled

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Started a table saw sled

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Nice job. You'll find a lot of uses for it. A TS isn't complete without a sled, and I've had one like your's for about 15 years. If you don't have outfeed support of some kind, I'd suggest you either use roller stands, or a drop down leaf, or roll away simple bench.

I bubba'd a drop down leaf for mine using angle iron topped with 3/4" cabinet plywood & secured to the TS wings. Makes life much easier.

3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for taking us on another of your project journeys. Always interesting.
I had a similar tool failure a few years ago. Its a very slim right angled driver, that is perfect for getting into limited space areas. I was using it everywhere whether I had a tight spot or not. Eventually the motor burned up in a puff of smoke and took the control circuit board with it. I tried to buy a replacement, but found they had been discontinued. I also could not find a similar product its size or smaller. I did find replacement parts, so its good as new, but with new ones being discontinued, this repaired one is semi-retired. I bought other drivers for the bulk of the driver work, saving the semi-retired for the really unique tight spaces.
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:39 pm
... The drill gave one deep moan... Spurted out one puff of foul black smoke, and went off to hand tool heaven. :o I popped off the battery, and saluted my fallen comrade. I ordered another just like it when I went it for lunch, catching a great sale on prime. ;)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm

Man Id a been worn out just putting all those clamps on.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm
There is a trick to setting the carpenter's clamps. You hold both grips and spin the clamps, they rapidly open or close parallel. You learn from doing how to apply full even pressure. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:32 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm
There is a trick to setting the carpenter's clamps. You hold both grips and spin the clamps, they rapidly open or close parallel. You learn from doing how to apply full even pressure. :D
Tricky as they can be; they are great!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 am

Got the Glued Up center pieces out of the clamps and test fitted them after trimming, between the walnut rabbited edge pieces. Test fit, trim, test fit, trim, test fit, trim. Bingo.

16 test fit.jpg
16 test fit.jpg (135.4 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

Once I was sure I had them where I needed the three pieces to be, they got glue applied, placed back in position to assure proper alignment, and clamped. They were allowed to dry for several hours.

17 glue up.jpg
17 glue up.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

I used a pull saw to trim everything flush as trying to do so on the table saw just seemed too risky, even holding the piece in a clamp. ;) Yup, I tried to find a safe way to do so. My rule there is if you have to stop and think if it's safe to do it ... just stop.

Once the piece was trimmed flush, there was a bit of fine tuning to be done. The width needed to be adjusted to fit the bolt, I took just over a 1/4" off each side. Then shaved an 1/8" off the inside of each leg to fit around the carrier with the washers installed for smooth operation. Assembled the block and tested and discovered that AS built it work really well except it wouldn't tilt for two reasons. The squared top hit the track and the locking knob hit the body.

- Rounded the top even with the washers.
- cut a half moon clearance into the body with a forstner bit.

Tested the stop block again, and we were golden. I sanded the rough edges and rolled the inside edge of the foot to ease the movement, the applied a coat of danish oil. Done.

18 stop block.jpg
18 stop block.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.