Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Christmas Presents

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Christmas Presents

Post by Ernie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 pm

They are all good looking but I am really drawn to the chevrons.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you Sir. I am going to try that again, although it's a lot more work. :D
Miss Tina has claimed one of the walnut and maple ones. An interesting bit of trivia to go with the gifts for my friend and his son.

The primary wood came from a local source in the Caribbean, and they had it made into that coffee table more than half a century ago. Dave's dad flew bomber missions into combat during WWII, and was decorated for his distinguished service. Among those were TWO Purple Hearts. Makes that stripe across the middle even sweeter doesn't it? 8-)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:18 pm

I like them all, but the chevron is the best design.
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:27 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Thank you Sir. I am going to try that again, although it's a lot more work. :D
Miss Tina has claimed one of the walnut and maple ones. An interesting bit of trivia to go with the gifts for my friend and his son.

The primary wood came from a local source in the Caribbean, and they had it made into that coffee table more than half a century ago. Dave's dad flew bomber missions into combat during WWII, and was decorated for his distinguished service. Among those were TWO Purple Hearts. Makes that stripe across the middle even sweeter doesn't it? 8-)
It certainly does make it special.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:41 am

The CA glue order came in, the mini feet, and a trip to Lowes provided the replinished stock for the sandpaper. Should be back at it tomorrow. Company coming this afternoon. A day off.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:55 am

Day off? ;)

Tina had to run some morning errands, and my Company isn't due until 2:30 so, I hit it for a couple hours, attacking the filling of wormholes, and stabilizing a few knots. Pics later. Got a couple passes in on each board, now they are all curing. :D
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Way to sneak some time in :P
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:55 am
Day off? ;)

Tina had to run some morning errands, and my Company isn't due until 2:30 so, I hit it for a couple hours, attacking the filling of wormholes, and stabilizing a few knots. Pics later. Got a couple passes in on each board, now they are all curing. :D
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 pm

A few days more work done, and PICS! :P

I have been working away at all six boards, and before I started on them again this last few days, they wanted to line up for a group shot. ;)

58 All Six.jpg
58 All Six.jpg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 3718 times

They were looking good so far, but they were only going to improve. More sanding and some infill for the minor defects that ... well only I might notice, but would allow food particles (if they were actually to get used) or water or cleaning products if they get dusted, to get down into the wood. Mostly I am talking about worm holes and chips. I start the infill by taking a scrap offcut, isolating the purple heart and rubbing it against some 60 grit sandpaper to create purple heart dust. I use this to fill the defects. Then I coat them with the CA glue of appropriate thickness.

60 purple heart dust.jpg
60 purple heart dust.jpg (177.12 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
61 The CA lineup.jpg
61 The CA lineup.jpg (141.95 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
62 coated.jpg
62 coated.jpg (168.39 KiB) Viewed 3718 times

After the glue has dried you have the first layer of the repair, and it needs to be sanded away, leaving only the repair area with any evidence you visited. The discoloration "around" the repair is no longer visible. You repeat the process again, and again, and again... until you are flush.

59 starting infill.jpg
59 starting infill.jpg (180.39 KiB) Viewed 3718 times

After three days, the Honor Boards, are done. (Boards one and two) and the Chevron Board is also ready for the finish to be applied. So they are wiped down with the first coat of mineral oil and left to soak for five minutes or so, then the residual oil is wiped away and I will allow them to dry for several hours and may apply a second coat tonight or wait until tomorrow. The feet will be applied AFTER they are waxed.
63 board one finish applied.jpg
63 board one finish applied.jpg (201.31 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
64 board two finish applied.jpg
64 board two finish applied.jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
65 Chevron Board finish applied.jpg
65 Chevron Board finish applied.jpg (196.87 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
The other three are still receiving infill treatment, especially Miss Tina's, she says she will use hers a lot. If she uses it UP she knows the guy who made it and she'll have him make her another one. :twisted:
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 pm

I greatly admire you and your work Jim. Beautiful stuff. I aspire to have your patience!!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Just thought I would pop in with an update.

The boards all got finished before they needed to be doled out, and one was shipped to Oklahoma to the middle gal, along with the quilts AND two, count 'em, two, American Girl doll dresses for the Granddaughter.

Another cutting board was presented to the oldest daughter when she and her fam visited this past weekend from the metro area. The granddaughter loved HER quilt, and matching quilted pillow.

The Son's board, and quilts for his kiddos will be hand delivered when he drops in from Texas the first half of January. It's been years since he has been down this way. Life... Has a habit of running away with time. Miss T has been out that way a couple times... But working at the hospital... He never could seem to get away for long.

The honor boards...? I tried to arrange a meeting, but Dave was trying to close out projects before year's end for his business, and Jr is a firefighter/Paramedic/instructor with a new baby. We were always shooting for "Maybe next week..."

The subject of the entire project turned 100 December 1st, and sadly passed shortly afterwards. He was a Pilot in the war, flying mission after mission, until being shot down. He was a POW, held by the Germans til liberated by a Russian tank blowing the gate off the camp.

I was honored to know him, though I didn't get to see him often. It will be a pleasure to have made something that will remind my friend and his son of this humble man. I should see them toward the end of January.

We are losing these guys, if you know one, take the time to talk to them.
3 x