Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Old-Wood" from days long gone.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

"Old-Wood" from days long gone.

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 am

I've been watching Marine's build of his Potato & Onion bin for Miss Tina. Watching him work reminded me of some "old-wood" pieces I've made. I was surprised to see these again, when I moved into my daughter's house early this year. I'd forgotten about these until she put them out, and still is using them!

Talk about old. These were my first-ever wood projects in junior high shop classes. Not yet "petrified wood," but heading there. I made the tray with folding stand in 7th grade, 1961. Then the magazine rack in 8th grade, 1962. I got to do a little upgrading to the tray & stand this year, 2019. Here are photos and storyline.
Thanks for looking.

PT7

I passed the wood-working component of junior high shop classes with these two pieces.
DSCN3345.JPG
DSCN3345.JPG (204.82 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Magazine rack is still solid; didn't need any attention or repair this year. But here is what I "fixed" on the tray stand.
The original plastic strips that supported the tray and kept the stand upright were frayed and really worn out. All I did was take some plastic strapping from an internet shipment my daughter got, cut it to correct length for the tray height, and used some antique-looking brass tacks I saved from an old upholstered chair. I also used a punch to tap in the finishing nails in the folding legs. Pretty easy upgrades. Tray is still standing, folding, and holding! Oh yes, it functions as a serving tray also; just pick up by the handles I cut into the sides.

Current use. My daughter is setting up a craft corner in our walk-in basement. She makes craft projects and greetings cards, which she shares as gifts. She uses this tray as part of her work area, serves as a side table for tools, supplies, whatever.

Historical use. I was also reminded when I saw it of the many years my Dad had this tray next to his rocker in his family room. It held his landline phone, glasses, newspapers, etc. Also was perfect to place his daily glass of home-made brew he enjoyed when he'd take an early afternoon break from his work around the homestead.
DSCN3346.JPG
DSCN3346.JPG (217.23 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Both still looking good! Just as I do, at my elder age. :lol:
DSCN3348.JPG
DSCN3348.JPG (192.21 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
5 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: "Old-Wood" from days long gone.

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:57 pm

beautiful .... my project to pass high school shop class was building a large "Hope Chest" for my baby sister .... made it our of poplar, stained it cedar .... never have done as much hand sanding before or since .... she still has it
2 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Our local school no longer has Shop Class. I am asking around about someone wanting to set up a wood shop so I can turn them on to the tools I came across last week. Seems interested young people are not common any more. I bought my basics from an older gentleman in failing health who wanted to get them to someone who would use and appreciate them. I am trying to find a person who has the same desire to craft wood.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 am

Good job, always nice to see things you made years ago still in use. Congrats.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 am

Nice pieces Bob...then and now. Glad they're still around serving a purpose!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry