Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

DIY BP pistol loading stand

PT7
Drover
United States of America

DIY BP pistol loading stand

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:27 pm

I don't often post in the woodworking forum. But I'm getting started on a small DIY project. Found it is something definitely needed whenever I shoot my Trapper BP pistol at the range.

Bought some wood and hardware to cobble together a BP pistol loading stand. It won't be a "work of art," e.g. like projects we see coming out of Broken Ole Marine's workshop. I'm going for simply functional, and mostly will not fall apart. :lol: Also the building of it for me will be like shooting a single shot BP pistol --- take my time, slow and steady, get it right.

These two pictures are very basic. Nothing is secured yet; just roped it together to see how my idea might pan out. It will certainly fall over if I bump it.

The wood sides and back are from Menard's wood scrap bin. These 3 pieces cost $0.55 each. They are way too tall, and plan to cut them down to an equal height (13"-14") just below the front sight on the barrel. The u-shaped wood is actually a wood deco letter I got at Hobby Lobby. It "surrounds" the back and bottom of my pistol grip pretty well. Plan to screw it to the picket-like base. Then with small corner braces, I'll both build the walls around the pistol and secure that part to the base. All hardware will be on the outside, which leaves only smooth wood inside to cradle the pistol. Haven't decided on what wood finish I'll use; more thinking on that.

'Tis a start. :) I've been invited by one of the Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders to shoot pistols one day soon, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. So plan to have this ready to use at the loading bench.

PT7

BP_pistol load stand_3331.JPG
BP_pistol load stand_3331.JPG (164.14 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
BP_pistol load stand_3330.JPG
BP_pistol load stand_3330.JPG (174.88 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
1 x

~Пока~