Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Potato and Onion Bin

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Potato and Onion Bin

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:33 pm

Always a good thing when the bin is a win: "...the boss is pleased."

Looking forward to the final photo shoot.
Congrats on finishing, Marine. :D
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Mags wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:25 pm
Very nicely done! I have a question, what keeps the spuds and onions from falling off the back of the individual bin and into the lower bin when there is a lot in them in there and you open a bin?

The bins have about fourteen and a half inches width, and about nine inches depth, nearly ten inches height of usable interior space. The rear of the bin has a four inch wire back. The contents will roll forward when the bins are tilted open, and a whole five pound bag of taters easily fits with room to spare. Watch for the pics. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am

THE PICS :D

Went out in the shop after dinner and got ready to install the pull handles and hinges. First step? Gather all the tools I would need.

80 gather up tools.jpg
80 gather up tools.jpg (203.18 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

The first thing I did was to place each bin in the bench vise with the top edge facing me, which placed it upside down. No matter, the handles were going to be centered in the 1" wide rail.
Next I covered the rail with blue painters tape, to give me a surface to right freely on without worrying about having to damage the finish.
Next I broke out the centering rule... I love this thing and use it a lot.

81 centering rule.jpg
81 centering rule.jpg (187.18 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Place this on something you need to find the center of, and then when the same measurement is indicated on both edges, mark the zero in the center. Done.
I also marked 1-1/2 inches in both directions since the handles screws were 3" on center apart. I then used my pocket square, to mark those locations, then 1/2" up from the edge.
I marked those with the center punch.

82 marked for drilling.jpg
82 marked for drilling.jpg (173.77 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

After I rechecked all the measurements... I drilled thru with a 1/16" bit as a pilot hole, then drilled thru with the proper sized bit for the screw for the handles. Perfect alignment on each handle. Slow and steady wins the game. I got all the handles installed and prepared to move to the hinges. Here is the info on the handles as promised.

83 info for handles.jpg
83 info for handles.jpg (98.57 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

Once the handles were done, time to move to the hinges. I placed a hinge on the lower edge of the slot in the cabinet. I folded the hinge to determine which wing I wanted to use, and set a square at 3-1/2 inches to make sure they were consistent in the inset from the edge. I used a center punch to insure the pilot hole for the screws would be properly aligned and drilled carefully, then attached the lower half of the hinge. I shimmed the bins so that they were centered and spaced off the rails, and attached them and moved to the next bin repeating the process.
84 handles and hinges.jpg
84 handles and hinges.jpg (225.12 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

If you look closely in this pic ^^^^^ you can see the shims below the bin and along the sides holding the spacing as the hinges are installed. I checked the hinges before placement on each bin to insure the "short" wing (The one without the barrel) was installed down... for consistency.

Slow and steady again, and eventually all the hinges were installed. While drilling one screw hole, the bit slipped and the hole was way out of center. The trick here is to keep toothpicks in the shop. Stick a toothpick into the hole to the bottom, mark the depth with a pencil, then pull it back out. Cut it off just above your mark, dab some glue on the toothpick and then stick it back in the hole. Take a punch and PACK it into the hole flush. Go on to other tasks for about 15 minutes, then come back and remark your center and CAREFULLY drill your new centered hole. The toothpick packed and glued in the old hole prevents the drill from attempting to follow that patch.

The hinges and handles completed, the project is all done and ready to move inside.

85 all done.jpg
85 all done.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:47 am

We moved the bin into the kitchen and installed it in it's slot. It fit perfectly, as I held my breath. There is a central heating and air vent in front of it and my only concern is that it might have been just a tad too wide, but I stayed within my plan and it tweeked right in there. :) It will live between the antique sideboard Miss Tina found on one of our road trips for a song because the lady wanted "That Monstrosity out of the shop" and the baker's rack we use as a microwave stand.

86 in the kitchen.jpg
86 in the kitchen.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
87 taters and onions.jpg
87 taters and onions.jpg (177.63 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

Tina filled it with the potatoes and onions last night. The bottom bin will hold either sweet potatoes, or baking potatoes, or a mixture of both, since we don't buy those in bulk.
In answer to the question about the taters/content and opening the bins... again... it's not an issue... here is the tater bin tilted open.

88 open it up.jpg
88 open it up.jpg (198.77 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

Tina lined them with paper towels for now, but she expects to line the bottom with clear vinyl in the future, she has it on hand, just has to get a round2it.
:D

So... that's the Potato Bin Project in the can. It was interesting and filled my time. I enjoyed the challenge. I'm not sorry I put in the extra work, and I learned some new techniques and remembered some old ones. :P I think I'll knock out a knife kit next, or build a box. Something quick. Then find another long project. Oh, wait. Surgery looms... stick with the short stuff for now. :evil:
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am

It fits perfectly and is a true compliment to the kitchen.
Really like the chosen hardware!
Gotta get me one of those centering rules! Gosh, how many times I could have used one. :)
I have used the toothpick trick before though; works great!
Another fine job Jim!! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 am

Marine, let Tina know she had a good handle on the handles....they look great against the wood color on the bin. Also look very easy to "handle" for opening/closing. ;)

Will look forward to your next "long project." Wood melts in your hands, and ends up beautifully re-fashioned.
Have enjoyed keeping up with your sawdust tales.

Take care, and hope the surgery will go very well with quick recovery.
Bob
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:39 am

ah yes! in the latest pictures I can see the wire back. Thanks for pointing that out. Well done! Can't wait to see what comes next :P
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 pm
Mags wrote:
Very nicely done! I have a question, what keeps the spuds and onions from falling off the back of the individual bin and into the lower bin when there is a lot in them in there and you open a bin?
The bins have about fourteen and a half inches width, and about nine inches depth, nearly ten inches height of usable interior space. The rear of the bin has a four inch wire back. The contents will roll forward when the bins are tilted open, and a whole five pound bag of taters easily fits with room to spare. Watch for the pics. :lol:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

Mags wrote:
Mags,

If you look.on the previous page, there is an work along pic shot of the installation of the wire backs that shows them clearly. I had intended to have wood backs, but they would have cut the range of travel dramatically. ;)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Looks really nice Marine. You are very talented and gifted to be able to create things like that Tina is very lucky. I like that a lot.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55