Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Potato and Onion Bin

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Potato and Onion Bin

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:58 am

The weather is still brutal here. Temps hovering on either side of the hundred degree mark early, then climbing on the plus side and staying till late in the day. Inside is the key to survival to gimpy old folk... :lol:

Miss Tina loves the sewing chest. Just loves it. Sitting in her recliner, crocheting this huge afghan last night, she dropped the works in her lap and looked across the living room and said...

"You know what would be nice? A potato and onion bin for the kitchen." :?
then back to crocheting the afghan.

Of course, I had been trying to decide on a new project. I hate being bored. Youtube search last night, searched thru the wood shed. Found some interesting slabs. Once I get them cleaned up, I might figure out what they are. Nice figure in the grain though.

Spent the rest of the morning sketching out the rough measurements for Miss T's next request. This should be fun. Rabbits, dadoes, dowel pinned joints. Can't wait.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Potato and Onion Bin

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

Btw, Miss Tina's afghan project is an interesting one. It's a year long weather record. The daily temps are divided into bands. Each temperature band is assigned a color and she crochets a strip across the afghan for each day's temperature. After a year, the afghan will be a graph of the year's weather.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:10 am

Great Jim, always like following your projects. Would like to make Carol a Bread box. She currently keeps all those type items in the nuclear oven which bugs me. Have to move everything out to use it. :x
Have mentioned it to her before, but, she doesn't want to waste anymore counter space. ;) oh well...
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am
Btw, Miss Tina's afghan project is an interesting one. It's a year long weather record. The daily temps are divided into bands. Each temperature band is assigned a color and she crochets a strip across the afghan for each day's temperature. After a year, the afghan will be a graph of the year's weather.
:idea: What a great idea!!! Go Miss-T!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:26 pm

I have gotten busy in the shop over the last week or so... Well, busy for me. :) I work when I can, and rest when I have to. The first step was to take measurements and make the first rough sketches on typing paper sitting in the recliner and ask the boss what she thought. She liked them. Then I went out in the shop and got the butcher's paper and made the sketches actual size. Got that done.

01 full size sketch.jpg
01 full size sketch.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

I often make several pages of these, showing front, back, and side views, but in this case, it's a fairly simple project, construction wise. I can operate off the front view, and work from this knowing the plan. (In my hollow head.) :roll: I took measurements and had an idea what I needed. Trip to the woodshed, to find wood. Came back with this... think it's maple. Will see what we have for grain patterns once it's brushed and vacuumed. :P

02 first boards.jpg
02 first boards.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

Got it all cleaned up and vacuumed, then started to lay out the side panels. :cry: Then I realized this would be nowhere near enough wood. The day was gone and I hauled it back to the woodshed and pulled out a matched foursome. THAT should do 'er. Stacked it in the shop and left it for the day.

03 better selection.jpg
03 better selection.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

Working on the layouts and getting the boards ready the next day, I was able to carefully lay out the side panels and make the cuts. The grain looks amazing, and the two side panels took one entire slice from the log. :o Good thing I have four.

04 rough sized.jpg
04 rough sized.jpg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

I have set up the planer for the side panels, and will run these through. I ripped them as the planer will handle 12.5 inches which is the exact width of the panels... but these are bowed. I learned a long time ago, when trying to flatten bowed panels you lose less wood if you rip them in the middle of the bow, planes the two halves flat, and then rejoin the panels. Time to get to work.

05 planer.jpg
05 planer.jpg (124.46 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

After planing you can see the results. There are still some low spots with a bit of roughness, but they will be taken out by the card scraper. The grain is amazing in my opinion, and I think this is more spalted maple.

06 the sides.jpg
06 the sides.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

I will put biscuits in these and join them during glue up. These are two of the largest pieces in the Cabinet and I want them strong. I may just use cabinet grade ply for the back of the cabinet since it won't be seen. The rest will be easier to process. (Hopefully.) After cutting the slots and inserting the biscuits, ever effort is made to keep things flat and level.

Here are the sides... rejoined with their mates.

07 rejoined.jpg
07 rejoined.jpg (173.94 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Nice to have that beautiful wood on hand. Yes, it does look like more spalted maple.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Nice figure in that Marine. Maybe you could use some dark stain on it and get some tiger stripping
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:17 pm

I still have a half jar of the blended golden oak and natural watco oil, that should do it. :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:18 pm
Nice to have that beautiful wood on hand. Yes, it does look like more spalted maple.
We were lucky. Miss T keeps an eye out and came across an ad for someone wanting to trade some quality wood for firewood. We contacted her and told her we would come down and take a load, but we didn't have seasoned firewood to spare, we would buy her a load. But, she was welcome to come up and cut deadfall every year for free firewood in the future. She said it was too far to drive to cut wood, but appreciated the kind offer.

Her dad had recently passed, (in his 80s,) and had been cabinet maker. She had three barns filled with beautiful wood. We paid for a load of seasoned firewood and hauled away a full truckload of cherry, walnut, maple, cocobola, and more. Should have gone back like she suggested, but at the time... No storage space. She had three barns of wood, some had dried out, some turned doughy, but most was excellent. :lol:
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Wow! What a lucky find. Maybe there will be some left when you're ready. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry