Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Potato and Onion Bin

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Potato and Onion Bin

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks. Bought the kit and the bottle at same time, I figured it would save time. I too buy glue by the gallon. After gluing every strip on each boat I knew I needed to find a better way. I appreciate the tip on the cap. Now that I look at it that makes perfect sense but I might not not have put that together at all and it sure would help to keep from dragging the cap through the glue all the time.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 am
Thanks. Bought the kit and the bottle at same time, I figured it would save time. I too buy glue by the gallon. After gluing every strip on each boat I knew I needed to find a better way. I appreciate the tip on the cap. Now that I look at it that makes perfect sense but I might not not have put that together at all and it sure would help to keep from dragging the cap through the glue all the time.
Miss Tina ;) hanging out in the shop while I was doing a glue up, asked me why I wasn't just sticking the red thing on the nub where it was supposed to go. :oops:
"I usually do." I lied. :P Duh.... :roll:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:59 pm

So, back out in the shop this morning, I marked the edges of the Cutting board top, then trimmed them off. Then looked at the gouge in the finished side that the last few passes on the planer had revealed. Bugs cause the spalting, that nice pattern in the wood, but they can also leave hollows. :evil: I doubt you can see the gouge in the picture, but it's as much as a quarter inch deep, and it's an inch and a half wide. Since Tina won't be using it as a cutting board, I could leave it, but it's not my style. :?

30 gouge.jpg
30 gouge.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

I got busy fixing up some maple paste to repair the gouge. First step was to take up a piece of maple cutoff. (Always save your cuttoffs.) Then sand away the cutoff on a piece of sandpaper glued to a luane panel just for flattening box bottoms. Sand, brush the dust up, sand brush the dust up.

31 maple sawdust.jpg
31 maple sawdust.jpg (252.96 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Drop in a couple drops of the watco oil I'll use to stain the cutting board, since it won't be used, and is just for looks. Mix, then add glue and mix until you have custom wood putty. Then fill the gap and let dry.

32 with paste.jpg
32 with paste.jpg (147.08 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

While that dries, I route the edges of the cutting board. Then I mark and cut the panel I had planed yesterday to make the stock for the base. I cut three boards 2-1/2 inches tall and leave them full length. I route the top edges. When I form the square I'll cut the 45 degree joints. BUT, they will have awesome grain. ;)

33 base pieces cut routed.jpg
33 base pieces cut routed.jpg (154.98 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

I went in and had lunch and let the repair dry hard. Then came back out and sanded the top panel again, and resanded the edges to remove all routing marks. Then... this is the part I love, I applied the first coat of Watco Oil. This is a mixture of Natural and Medium Walnut to make the grain pop. It's popping.

34 top routed sanded and stained.jpg
34 top routed sanded and stained.jpg (167.13 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

I'll let it dry, lightly sand it then apply another coat, then sand again, a third coat, then wax it. The top is done. I can begin assembly on the case once I get the dowel kit from Woodcraft on Tuesday Evening during my Plane Tuning class. I am chomping at the bit. ;)

Tomorrow I will begin to assemble the drawer sections. I know how wide they all need to be.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm

I only cut three panels for the base, because the back panel will be 3/4 plywood. ;)
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Your project is coming along nicely.
Bought a foundation book on wood turning this week. Did a little reading and got diverted into checking out turning tool sharpening jigs for my Tormek. Getting back on track as I have not even purchased the knives yet. Wood turning scares me a bit as I envision tools and wood shooting through the shop. Will get through the book at least once (I hope) before I purchase tooling along with PPE and attempt to shred wood with a lathe.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Im not seeing any empty beer bottles and some whiskey bottles in that shed Marine. It cant be a man cave without some of those around.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Im not seeing any empty beer bottles and some whiskey bottles in that shed Marine. It cant be a man cave without some of those around.
Meh... Don't drink, never have. Every time I checked into a new squadron, they thought I was an undercover narc until they got to know me. :D I don't mind others who have a drink or two, I just don't deal with drunks unless I'm gettin paid to. :P
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Totally respect the non drinking. Its a choice we all have. My dad was an alcoholic and I swore Id never be like that. I drink but only on the weekends when work the next day isnt an issue.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:31 pm

That is really really nice! You got a great grain pop!
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:59 pm
... this is the part I love, I applied the first coat of Watco Oil. This is a mixture of Natural and Medium Walnut to make the grain pop. It's popping.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:15 am

Did you do this as a career? Or is this a hobby?
0 x
I never take myself seriously....