Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Project For Miss T

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: A Project For Miss T

Post by markiver54 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 pm

Sometimes, I find it easier to build as I go. It just seems easier using common sense and tools available at the time to achieve what I'm trying to accomplish.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 am

Often, when I'm just filling time, I build boxes of some sort. I let the wood decide. Unlike most, I start with the top, the wood grain pattern etc tells me what that will be and I build around that beginning. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 am
Often, when I'm just filling time, I build boxes of some sort. I let the wood decide. Unlike most, I start with the top, the wood grain pattern etc tells me what that will be and I build around that beginning. :D
I can relate to that thinking very well!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Worked two sessions in the shop so far, prep sessions. Got rough sketches done, playing with sizing and proportions. Then moved to fine drawings with actual size representations. Also found three slabs of walnut in the big wood barn. Will be able to start actual work very shortly.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 am

Worked yesterday, including a long session processing the slab Miss T chose for the ends of the chest. When I got it into the shop, it turned out to be...

Highly figured spalted maple. :shock: I'll have pics up and a detailed processing narrative later today. :lol:
If anyone is interested. :roll:
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 am
Worked yesterday, including a long session processing the slab Miss T chose for the ends of the chest. When I got it into the shop, it turned out to be...

Highly figured spalted maple. :shock: I'll have pics up and a detailed processing narrative later today. :lol:
If anyone is interested. :roll:
Spalted Maple is beautiful! We have a coffee table at the cabin made of it by a local artisan and love it. If I was up there at this moment, I would send a pic.nice choice! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I spent the last couple days working on the project, and though Miss T thought she had pulled a couple slabs of walnut from the barn, once I cleaned the dust and grime of ten years or so of storage... it turned out to be nicely grained spaulted maple. :D Since I was going to do the end panels first, I used a square to mark a reference on one end with the nicest grain, and trimmed that off, then cut off a piece 19 inches long.

01 first cut.jpg
01 first cut.jpg (158.96 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

Checking it carefully, i determined it was badly bowed, and would need some correction. More than I thought my shoulders were up to with a hand plane. Sadly. So, I ripped it in half.

02 rip cut.jpg
02 rip cut.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

This would make it much easier to bookmatch on the bandsaw. (Or so I thought... I later ended up ripping each half again.)
Look at the grain in this piece... beautiful.

03 nice spaulting.jpg
03 nice spaulting.jpg (145.33 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

Prepping each piece for gluing into an end panel was a journey. The first step was to run them all thru the planer to make sure they were of similar thickness and smooth.
Then, I had to rip them into quarters, then run them carefully thru the bandsaw to bookmatch them. Each was marked to insure matched pairs stayed together.
That left pieces approximately 3/8" to 1/2" thick, with irregular edges on one side. That was addressed by carefully marking a reference line then running them across the table saw, checking the fit, cutting again, or planing as needed, until they fit.

Here are the end panels awaiting glue up. They are approximately 16" x 20" at this point.
04 end one.jpg
04 end one.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
05 end two.jpg
05 end two.jpg (152.33 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

After they are glued up, they will be cut to shape and set aside for sanding.
Next step will be the forming of the side rails and panels.
:D
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Looking good Jim. As I said, that spaulted Maple grain is beautiful. Really pops when finished also!
Looks a LOT like the coffee table I mentioned. Book matching looks really good too!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Jim,
This is our coffee table top before he assembled it
IMG950534.jpg
IMG950534.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 pm

I can see that turning out gorgeous!
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm
I spent the last couple days working on the project, and though Miss T thought she had pulled a couple slabs of walnut from the barn, once I cleaned the dust and grime of ten years or so of storage... it turned out to be nicely grained spaulted maple. :D Since I was going to do the end panels first, I used a square to mark a reference on one end with the nicest grain, and trimmed that off, then cut off a piece 19 inches long.

01 first cut.jpg

Checking it carefully, i determined it was badly bowed, and would need some correction. More than I thought my shoulders were up to with a hand plane. Sadly. So, I ripped it in half.

02 rip cut.jpg

This would make it much easier to bookmatch on the bandsaw. (Or so I thought... I later ended up ripping each half again.)
Look at the grain in this piece... beautiful.

03 nice spaulting.jpg

Prepping each piece for gluing into an end panel was a journey. The first step was to run them all thru the planer to make sure they were of similar thickness and smooth.
Then, I had to rip them into quarters, then run them carefully thru the bandsaw to bookmatch them. Each was marked to insure matched pairs stayed together.
That left pieces approximately 3/8" to 1/2" thick, with irregular edges on one side. That was addressed by carefully marking a reference line then running them across the table saw, checking the fit, cutting again, or planing as needed, until they fit.

Here are the end panels awaiting glue up. They are approximately 16" x 20" at this point.

04 end one.jpg
05 end two.jpg

After they are glued up, they will be cut to shape and set aside for sanding.
Next step will be the forming of the side rails and panels.
:D
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234