Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Project For Miss T

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: A Project For Miss T

Post by markiver54 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Looking VERY nice Jim!
Thinking of you and MANY others this weekend!! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Back in the shop....

First let me apologize for the last post being pulled OUT of the thread.... it wasn't my intention. In the old software, it just would have had a different header... ;)
I'll be more careful in the future. :oops:

Today's work was on the EXTRA rail, which will become the handle and will reside at the top of the chest... between the ends at the top of the "coffin" as Miss T has taken to calling the shape.
I used a spokeshave to start turning the rail into a comfortable shaped to hold. Faster, and much easier with a router table, but LOTS noisier and dust everywhere. The only sound in the shop with the spokeshave is the WHISP of the blade... which I like.

01 spoke shave.jpg
01 spoke shave.jpg (245.07 KiB) Viewed 4315 times

I worked all four edges to the general shape, then the top and bottom of the handle. After I achieved the general shape I wanted I cut it to length to match the length of the sides.
I will of course sand this thru, ah... :roll: ... most likely 120 grit.

02 handle.jpg
02 handle.jpg (168.26 KiB) Viewed 4315 times

Far from done, but there are not as many pieces to go as there were when I started. :P
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri May 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Enjoy the feel of hand tools. As you say they are much quieter and give me the feel of personal contact with the wood. Also if you run a piece through a router table or a table saw and it is set a bit deep you are done, can't put it back on. With a hand plane or spoke shave you can work your way to the line and proper fit checking as you go. Very pleasant.
Nice curls, good sharp tool. Looking forward to the project coming together.
PS
Like your bench! Want to build a good maple work bench with holdfasts someday when I grow up.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:17 pm

Jim, I am the lucky recipient of a collection of my late father-in-laws old tools. One is a beautiful spoke plane, amongst many other old hand tools. Block planes, moulding planes etc. Have not really used many of them yet, however, I am looking forward to getting acquainted with them. I believe there is a great reward using them, so, I can relate!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:31 am

Over the last thirty or forty years, I have slowly built up a shop filled with woodworking tools, and Miss T has never complained as I have put them to good use building bookcases, cradles for the kids, flag boxes, urns, numerous gifts... However, my most valuable tool, priceless even? The small block plane, as old as I am, that belonged to my Stepfather. He taught me carpentry basics as a teen and my love of woodworking. He passed unexpectedly in '81. I use his old plane often, and can still feel him at my shoulder when I do.
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:45 am

The last two days I have been working on the top crossbar and wing doors. They are being made from black walnut I have cut from logs given to me by my Mentor (Rabbi) in the LE PPC world, a Retired Marine/Police Sergeant who has looked over my shoulder for more than twenty years. Grumpy, Grouchy, and easily qualifies as all the seven dwarves. A good guy, but the Officers in the department either loved him or hated him, depending on the quality of the officer. (Good Officers loved him, I'll leave it at that.) :roll: There are those here who will know what I mean. He was the Range Sergeant, AND at times a Patrol Sergeant in a very bad part of town...

Anyway.... I digress.

I had gotten tired by the time I cut these slabs and had NOT done a very good job, so IT cost me. The grain was NICE.

01 rough slabs.jpg
01 rough slabs.jpg (135.01 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

BUT, you get lazy now... you pay later, as you will see. The slabs I cut six months ago... were NOT flat like the ones I started out cutting, they were "slightly" warped.
(Slightly warped like slightly pregnant.) :?

02 a little warped.jpg
02 a little warped.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

This meant a LOT of work. So, first I cut the two inch slabs into bookmatched slabs after first trimming them into squared edges... a must for bookmatching on the bandsaw.
Then I measured the center of both ends, struck a line and cut VERY carefully to the line thru the slab. THIS gave me a flat straight side.

03 bookmatched.jpg
03 bookmatched.jpg (182.83 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

BUT, I still had panels that were too thick to use as the winged edge doors I had envisioned hanging from the center panel. I measured off a half inch from the flat side and ran back across the bandsaw, staying to the outside of the 1/2 inch line. Then I ran all four panels thru the planer, getting nice smooth flat panels that would work once jointed and glued at 8" wide. Doors for the two sides. The center panel was also trimmed and planned to 5/8"

04 trimmed.jpg
04 trimmed.jpg (148.53 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

This is an idea of what I envision, but the wing doors will angle down about 45 degrees to meet the 12" sides. Following the coffin sides. ;)

05 concept.jpg
05 concept.jpg (172.91 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

I may... MAY... put a maple trim piece on each end with a lip under the edge to strengthen the panels, and a maple brace under the doors at the hinge point. I'll use some of the highly figured spalted pieces I have saved, which should really pop against the walnut and serve as both supports and accents. I'll fiddle with it during the next steps, and see if:
a) it looks good
b) it might be needed.

more to come.....
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am

Im thinkin if Miss T dont like this box that it sure will make a nice range box Marine
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 am

Tell Miss T, I like her choice of hinges. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:16 am

I have to find FORTY mini screws to match. :evil:
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:25 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:16 am
I have to find FORTY mini screws to match. :evil:
That might be a bit challenging to find ones with the right patina. I'm sure they're out there though. ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry