Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Project For Miss T

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: A Project For Miss T

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Better than sanding dust I would think though Jim.Cedar does smell great though! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Yeah, sanding dust... I have a LOT of sanding coming due. :D
One great way to minimize the dust is to use card scrapers. ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Ya got that right Jim, wasn't even aware of the card scraping technique until recently. Can't avoid sanding at some point though I would think. Regardless, that cedar does smell good. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Some time in the shop today, spent sanding on the top rail. Mainly focused on the holes for the yarn. I cut strips from 220 grit sandpaper and hand sanded the holes to make them glass smooth. No catching on the yarn. :P Gotta keep the boss happy.

06 sanding the hole.jpg
06 sanding the hole.jpg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

Then, sharpened the card for scraping, and got busy on the two wing doors for the chest. Saves a lot of time, and LOT of sandpaper, but works on the old broken shoulders and the arthritis in the hands. (MUCH less than regular sanding though.)

07 card scraper work.jpg
07 card scraper work.jpg (155.37 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

After about an hour, the joint on both doors was flat and even and the imperfections were starting to disappear. My shoulder had clocked out for the day. ;) Both doors are looking pretty sharp, so I have an idea what I'll be working with. They are wider and longer than they need to be. Once I assemble the chest, I'll decide exactly the shape I need and cut it from the prepped panels.

08 one wing door scraped.jpg
08 one wing door scraped.jpg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
09 the second door scraped.jpg
09 the second door scraped.jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

More work tomorrow. Scaping on the doors and ....

Building the bottom of the chest and the feet. I will used turned legs. :| I've decided on that part. Unless I change my mind... I'm flexible. Like the layout for this project. :shock:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

The Best Part of working in woodwork, is when the stain or oil finish is applied and the grain pops... and the best way to avoid disappointment is to wipe it with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits to remove the dust. At the same time, the wiping action darkens the wood grain and will highlight glue spots or any sanding errors giving you a chance to correct those before applying stains or finish. ;) I did that last night and then left the pieces until this morning, then got ready to be Wow'd.

The stain chosen wasn't by chance. I had saved scraps from the project and tested both the walnut and the maple with Cherry, Natural, Medium Walnut, and Golden Oak Watco Oils. Miss T liked the Golden Oak the best... unfortunately, I only had a small amount of that stain left. Lowes and Home Depot only carry the Medium and Dark Walnut and the Natural. NO Golden Oak. Woodcraft and Amazon carry Golden Oak, but Woodcraft is 90 minutes away, but with the drive would cost double the price of Lowes. I ended up testing a 50/50 blend of Medium Walnut and Natural Watco Danish Oil and it was perfect as far as the Ms. was concerned.

Here is the End Panel Process.

Panel Comparison stained and not.

01 end stained compare.jpg
01 end stained compare.jpg (172.45 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

The Stained Panel

02 end.jpg
02 end.jpg (135.43 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Then both ends stained.

03 both ends.jpg
03 both ends.jpg (186.71 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

The side panel comparison

04 side stain compare.jpg
04 side stain compare.jpg (145.26 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Side panel close up

05 side.jpg
05 side.jpg (120.44 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Both Sides and the top rail stained.

06 both side and top rail.jpg
06 both side and top rail.jpg (174.75 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

You will note some of the areas NOT stained, ends mostly. These are areas that will be glued later. The Danish Oil will prevent good glue up, so I didn't stain those areas. I learned this the hard way in previous projects. :? I will let these panels cure, then put the basket together. Still to come will be cutting then staining the wing doors after they are test fitted. I need to make the bottom panel, attach the turned legs and make and attach the feet. Getting there.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Looking really nice Jim. That grain really did pop and I love the contrasting side rails!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Wow... it's been a while. I know I have been away from the sewing chest... but the dogs have demanded a lot of time. We have been working on a play area for the dang pups, and training, training, training. :? Anyone with new pups in the house knows how that goes. :twisted: Miss T ordered new fencing, electric netting actually. The goal was to keep the dogs in and other dogs out. Then we wanted to be able to give the access to the back yard and the side porch, but it's four feet high. Another ramp was needed. That took some design. At first she (The Boss) wanted a straight ramp. Turned out to be too steep, as I predicted. I had designed a two stage ramp with a turn... but (The boss) deemed it too complicated. ;) Took the straight ramp apart and used the pieces as part of the new ramp. Perfect. In the pic below you can see the results of four day's work. First Miss T leveled the area with the blade on the tractor, then we "really" leveled the area where the two small "decks" would be with the level and patio stones. I cut some thin 2x4 dividers to alternate with deck boards to reduce the chance of the dogs sliding on the wet or iced ramps in inclement weather and we got the angled sections done. The dogs love the ramp.

dog ramp.jpg
dog ramp.jpg (158.6 KiB) Viewed 3690 times

The dog ramp and fence up, the boathouse repairs done and a day of rest here and there, I was able to get into the shop today, and ... the upper assembly was glued up. I clamped the components together to test the fit, marked them carefully, then drilled small 5/32 holes in the end panels. We then clamped them back together, and drilled matching holes in the side panels and the top rail. Disassembled once more, glued the side panels and the top rail and using small nails as guides, reassembled and clamped, and removed the nails before they got glued into place. I will leave it to set overnight, then use a forstner bit to countersink and set a screw in each of the holes and then put a plug cut from scrap spalted maple in the holes.

03 assembly 3.jpg
03 assembly 3.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
02 assembly 2.jpg
02 assembly 2.jpg (174.04 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
01 assembly 1.jpg
01 assembly 1.jpg (190.5 KiB) Viewed 3690 times

Once that is done, I'll install the internal braces for the end panels, measure and cut the wing doors from the prepared spalted maple panels, then begin working on the bottom braces, the legs, and the feet. We are close to the end. You can see what the finished product will look like. Sorta. :)
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Those dogs better love you both!..spoiling them already!😁. Nice work, looks great!
As for the sewing box; looking great Jim! Bound to be an heirloom. The Spalted Maple is beautiful!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Boy there would be lots of room for ammo in that box.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm
Boy there would be lots of room for ammo in that box.
an RR level ammo box for sure ... :lol:
1 x