Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

canoe and kayak

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: canoe and kayak

Post by markiver54 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

That's funny, :lol: A truly un-trained eye...Wal Mart...gimme a break. Kudos to you for biting your tongue. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Look great to me.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat May 11, 2019 9:56 pm

I have done a lot of canoeing having lived in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and wanted something a little special so I decided to build what I wanted to have. BUT.... they are too attractive to some others and I have to take care to lock them up on the car carriers and not leave unattended loose.
I had a very distinctive fiberglass canoe stolen at a restaurant in Indy once, took it off my car and no one witnessed it happen. Called to police and the responding officer just took the report and said "sorry". I drove around the area and saw 2 guys loading it on a pickup in an alley 3 blocks away. Caught the officer finishing the report in the parking lot and led him back to the truck. Had 4 more police cars show up and got my canoe back because they could show intent or something because they were caught tying it on the truck. Also since it was so distinctive a design it was clearly the one I described. It taught me that something unique will always be attractive to thieves and requires extra care to keep.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 am

Ernie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:56 pm
I have done a lot of canoeing having lived in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and wanted something a little special so I decided to build what I wanted to have. BUT.... they are too attractive to some others and I have to take care to lock them up on the car carriers and not leave unattended loose.
I had a very distinctive fiberglass canoe stolen at a restaurant in Indy once, took it off my car and no one witnessed it happen. Called to police and the responding officer just took the report and said "sorry". I drove around the area and saw 2 guys loading it on a pickup in an alley 3 blocks away. Caught the officer finishing the report in the parking lot and led him back to the truck. Had 4 more police cars show up and got my canoe back because they could show intent or something because they were caught tying it on the truck. Also since it was so distinctive a design it was clearly the one I described. It taught me that something unique will always be attractive to thieves and requires extra care to keep.
If we go on vacation and take the kayaks on the trailer, I have a long heavy vinyl coated steel cable I run thru the kayak scuppers, thru the wheels and spare on the trailer and then to something solid like a light pole or guard rail. :roll: It's not paranoia if they really are out there.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.