Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cabinet for gun safe interior

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Cabinet for gun safe interior

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:20 pm

Coming right along Marine, keep the progress coming as well! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Spent all day yesterday at the VA, several appts, the most important, the semi annual with my primary care doc. Really like this retired Colonel. Spends enough time to cover the bases. Renewed my scripts for the next six months, went over my ongoing issues but made no changes, and ordered labs and an xray to cover a fall that has created a painful continuing shoulder issue.

So. No work on the project yesterday. Woke up this morning and the one shot made my right arm so sore... :twisted:
I went out anyway, and got a little done. This is a fluid design, and during the downtime at the VA I decided how i would address the drawer fronts and trim. This meant I needed to trim 1/4 inch off the front of each rail. Pain in the butt, but a cool little saw, chisel, and mallet got that done. Then I ran the draw front slabs and trim slabs across the jointer to prepare them for bookmatching, or slicing them into 1/4 inch slices.

Pain levels caused me to break for the day. This next phase is critical, and I want sharp focus. I will try and post pics with notes later. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 am

PICS as promised.

After processing the Slabs the in the earlier steps, I marked the center, then a straight edge.
20 marked the centers and edge.jpg
20 marked the centers and edge.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
I chose the best and cut those on the bandsaw.
21 cut an edge.jpg
21 cut an edge.jpg (181.12 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
The best four were squared up and shaped.
22 best four shaped.jpg
22 best four shaped.jpg (170.63 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
Ran them thru the power planer to take out bows and rough faces.
23 power planed.jpg
23 power planed.jpg (111.82 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
A warm day let me work with the shop door open, a long view from outside the roll up door.
24 long view from rollup door.jpg
24 long view from rollup door.jpg (163.82 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
As discussed in an earlier post, the design is fluid. I changed the way I was going to deal with hiding the rails, so I needed to trim them back 1/4"
25 trim the rails.jpg
25 trim the rails.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
Now that I knew how I was going to deal with the drawer faces, time to trim the blocks to size.
26 drawer face to width.jpg
26 drawer face to width.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
The blocks could be bookmatched to produce the faces. Each block yielded about three faces.
27 bookmatch on band saw.jpg
27 bookmatch on band saw.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
I also ran the cutoffs thru the bandsaw to produce the trim for the cabinet.
28 faces and trim.jpg
28 faces and trim.jpg (131.5 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
All the bandsawed items were run thru the planer to take away the rough faces, but will still need to be carded to smooth them out.

Next up? Sanding and fitting, then finishing and mounting hardware and we are done.
(I may also make a standing rack to fill the dead space between the off side of the cabinet and the safe wall, to store files and other items.) This would be an hour ... unfinished as it will be hidden from view.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 am

What a nice shop.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:33 am

RanchRoper wrote:What a nice shop.
When I did that fantasia hippo move in 2017? and we didn't know if I would walk again, Miss T had our guy waiting when i came home from the hospital. We knew that I needed access for my chair either way, and the 12 x 20 Amish building I had used for twenty years wasn't going to do. We moved it aside, to become Miss Ts work shop, and built this one. :)

With the lower interest rates at the time, and the small amount remaining on our balance, we refinanced the house for ten years, added the funds for the shop, and the payment stayed the same. :D. We did it right, heated and AC, finished walls, plenty of windows and good lighting. Drop down plug over the workbench. Yup, dream shop. Took years, but i have it. ;)
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 am

Again, Marine, great progress , what a nice shop. Mine is too small to have some of those great tools you have. Looks like you have dust collection issues covered as well. Very frustrating for me with just a large shop vac. Keep up the good work! Can't wait for completion. :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 am

markiver54 wrote:Again, Marine, great progress , what a nice shop. Mine is too small to have some of those great tools you have. Looks like you have dust collection issues covered as well. Very frustrating for me with just a large shop vac. Keep up the good work! Can't wait for completion. :D
Years ago, when we were first married, l was in an 8x10 building l built myself, and using a small black and decker shop vac for dust collection. I didn't start to really build up the tools until the kids started to graduate and move on... :) No regrets... But with four kids at home, I did most of my woodworking with basics. When l added the Amish building, and a tool here and there each year... It was great. In most cases, I waited until i could buy quality, that way i bought once. ;)

Most of the large tools you see are more than fifteen years old... Still running. Some have been upgraded or rebuilt, but... Still going.
Wait... So am I... Upgraded, rebuilt. :roll:
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm

You have obviously worked hard and patiently. You deserve everything you have built. If I didn't live in city limits and had the land, I would expand my shop. I'm very happy for you!...and jealous I might add!.. :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I took a lot of gruff for where i live from my friends back when i was working. No one wanted to visit. They said the directions should read, drive to the edge of the country, turn right. It was just an hour... But it was in the boonies. I still like it. I can work in my shop at 2am and no one cares. Lol.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Had similar reaction to where we live. "not quite the edge of the world, but you see it from there"
BrokenolMarine wrote:I took a lot of gruff for where i live from my friends back when i was working. No one wanted to visit. They said the directions should read, drive to the edge of the country, turn right. It was just an hour... But it was in the boonies. I still like it. I can work in my shop at 2am and no one cares. Lol.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234