Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cabinet for gun safe interior

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Cabinet for gun safe interior

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:20 pm

I am finally going to start a new project, as much to get out of the recliner as to fill a need. :D

I have been doodling and knocking the ideas around for months now, six or more, but health and weather have held me up.
I started the more formal calculations and sketches last week, then moved to scale drawings this weekend. I made the first cuts this morning.

I will take pics as I go, but can't post them yet. My desk top was hacked and died. The new computer should be ready by the end of the week. I will post a narrative as l go for now from the tablet, then add pics later.

The cabinet will be a little fancier than necessary, but that's just me. It's job will be two fold. Maximize the use of space, and provide storage and protection for the handguns, mags, knives, etc in the safe. Looking good will be a bonus if i pull it off. :D

Size?
47" tall
16" wide
20" deep

The plan will be nine 3" deep drawers and two cubbys if all goes according to plan.

Materials?
Cabinet grade plywood for the "box" with real black walnut drawer fronts.

Stay tuned...
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Cabinet for gun safe interior

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 pm

All right, Marine! A long-awaited wood project to follow along with, and enjoy. Some learning will happen for us, too.
I can already tell everyone that "it will definitely look great" when finished.

I'm ready....best to you as you smell that sawdust again. :D

PT7

BrokenolMarine wrote:The cabinet will be a little fancier than necessary, but that's just me.
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks PT,
I have missed working in the shop, but a number of issues, not the least of which being the cold damp weather aggravating my arthritis in my hands, knees and elbows. :twisted: If my design works, this should be sweet. If not, it will be beautiful kindling. :D In addition, I will have passed some time.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 pm

looking forward to following your project .... thanks for taking us along
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am

I've thought of your skills as I've browsed the internet for cabinets over the past few months. For the most part, they're all overpriced for what you get. Really look forward to seeing what you create, as it sounds both beautiful and full of function.

Good luck with the project. Can't wait to see it unfold...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:09 am

I am especially interested to see what you do, given my interest in woodworking!
Can relate well about creaky joints, given the weather. :( Looking forward to reports as you move along!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 am

Back in the shop this morning.
I had worked on the cabinet sides yesterday.
Started with a sheet of 3/4 ply, left it 37 inches wide and cut off 19 inches from the bottom to use for the top and bottom panels. This left a bit over the target 43 inch piece, but there was wiggle room. Then I ripped a dozen rails from a 2x4 1/2 x 1/2 x 35 inches long. Time to start.

I marked a shelf line eight inches up from the bottom edge of the panel, came up a half inch, to allow for the thickness of the shelf, and clamped my guide in place. This was just a 37 x 2-3/4 inch scrap representing the drawer sides. I applied glue to the first rail and using the brad nailer, shot it in place, centered in the panel. I moved the guide above the newly installed rail, and repeated the process until I had eight rails in place. I left them to dry overnight.

This morning I ripped the panel down the middle. Result? Two matched sides with perfectly aligned rails. 8-)
I cut out the top and bottom panels, 16 x 19. With the sides 18-1/2 the top and bottom with be 1/2" proud at the rear by design. The back enclosure panels will fit between those, and the shelves, which I will also extend proud out the rear. This interlock will prevent (help prevent) side to side movement of the cabinet, or "racking" due to the weight of the contents. :)

After applying glue, I attached the top and bottom, using the brad nailer, and squared 'er up. I left the glue to set and came inside, gimpy ol Marines need their breaks. :P

In the next session, I will drill and countersink the top and bottom panels, then add screws for additional strength. I will cut out, then add the two shelves. That will nearly complete the box portion of the cabinet, other that cosmetic trim work.

The big job will follow, nine drawers and walnut fronts. :lol:
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 am

Jim, I will be interested to see pics when you're able. Unless you have a very large safe, it sounds like this one is dedicated to hand guns,ammo and such? Maybe long guns off to one side?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 pm

My recent firearm purchases put me over the top and I had to buy a bigger safe. I'm very interested in following your cabinet work. Thank you for sharing!
BrokenolMarine wrote:...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Really great description of what you're doing. Can't wait to see some "in process" pictures, though, as is the case with others as well.

Thanks again for sharing all of this!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357