Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Restore wood on an old Crosley console radio

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Restore wood on an old Crosley console radio

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Up front I must say I'm not a carpenter or woodworker. However, I love wood products, and over the years have made a number of decks, stairs, small deco projects, and so on. This planned project is not to build, but to restore a cherished piece of wood furniture.

When I was in grade school, I had fun visits and sleepovers at my Grandmother's house -- my Dad's Mom, and she lived next door to our house. Many evenings I would sit and listen to this console radio with her in the living room. No tv yet. I'm thinking my Dad got this for her sometime in the 1940s, so it is possibly is in its 70s; definitely older than me!

It is a Crosley tube radio with a Magnavox 8" speaker. Tubes are still inside. As you look at the front, the small frame above the knobs is the station indicator. Still is connected and smoothly turns both directions. I remember how cool it was to look at when darker in the house, because it even lit up! Everything made in the USA (Ohio and Indiana).
Wow, just like our Henrys!

That's my memory, and a little family history. My plans are simply to make look as new as possible again. Shouldn't be an arduous task, because I think it already looks pretty darn good for its age. It also traveled/moved with my wife and I all over the country for my various job positions: IL-->KS-->OR-->IA-->IL-->WI-->back to IL-->KS (with my daughter I'm now living with)-->now here in KCMO. These pics are the "before" pics.
DSCN3039.JPG
DSCN3039.JPG (158.08 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
DSCN3041.JPG
DSCN3041.JPG (167.78 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
DSCN3044.JPG
DSCN3044.JPG (189.18 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
DSCN3045.JPG
DSCN3045.JPG (189.44 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
After I clean all the storage dust and cobwebs off it, I'll introduce the console to Renaissance Wax. They should get along just fine. I hope the results make the wood glow! Then I'll post the "after" pics.

Sure do love wood! :D
PT7
3 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Restore wood on an old Crosley console radio

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:23 pm

You'll need to clean the wood well before you put any wax on it. I'd recommend Formby's Build-up Remover available at most home improvement stores or via Amazon. https://www.formbys.com/products/buildup_remover/
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Beautiful antique radio. What a cool piece of entertainment history. Love it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Best of luck and smooth sailing on that great project, PT! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Does Crosley still exist/operate? Wonder if it could be restored to actually function as a radio again...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks, Gunny. Appreciate the link, and I will check out Formby's next time in a Menard's or Home Depot.

Along with bringing to our house this console radio, my daughter brought my wife's 60-year old wood dining room table, 5 chairs and 1 captain's chair. All were very dirty from the 6-years spent in the storage unit; much worse than the radio. Anyway, my daughter has a wood cleaner and wax remover she has often used called "Murphy Oil Soap." I spent quite a few hours using that "soap," and the entire dining room set turned out very, very good. So I'll probably start with it again on the console radio.

PT7
GunnyGene wrote:You'll need to clean the wood well before you put any wax on it. I'd recommend Formby's Build-up Remover available at most home improvement stores or via Amazon. https://www.formbys.com/products/buildup_remover/
1 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm

PT7 wrote:Thanks, Gunny. Appreciate the link, and I will check out Formby's next time in a Menard's or Home Depot.

Along with bringing to our house this console radio, my daughter brought my wife's 60-year old wood dining room table, 5 chairs and 1 captain's chair. All were very dirty from the 6-years spent in the storage unit; much worse than the radio. Anyway, my daughter has a wood cleaner and wax remover she has often used called "Murphy Oil Soap." I spent quite a few hours using that "soap," and the entire dining room set turned out very, very good. So I'll probably start with it again on the console radio.

PT7
GunnyGene wrote:You'll need to clean the wood well before you put any wax on it. I'd recommend Formby's Build-up Remover available at most home improvement stores or via Amazon. https://www.formbys.com/products/buildup_remover/
Murphy's is ok if the finish itself isn't damaged, but since it's water based it may raise the grain where the finish is worn thru or damaged. I would also not use it on a shellac finish. Don't know what the finish on your radio is, but could be shellac, since modern finishes were still pretty rare back then. Could also be a varnish or a nitrocellulose laquer. In either case (formby's or murphy's) always test it first on a small spot that won't be noticed.

This will help you identify the existing finish.

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Appreciate the "tests" to help possibly determine what an old finish is. I now plan to do that before anything else, Gunny. The wood console radio has been in our family too long to not keep it in excellent condition.

Thanks again!
PT7
GunnyGene wrote:
Murphy's is ok if the finish itself isn't damaged, but since it's water based it may raise the grain where the finish is worn thru or damaged. I would also not use it on a shellac finish. Don't know what the finish on your radio is, but could be shellac, since modern finishes were still pretty rare back then. Could also be a varnish or a nitrocellulose laquer. In either case (formby's or murphy's) always test it first on a small spot that won't be noticed.

This will help you identify the existing finish.

0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 pm

[quote="PT7"]Appreciate the "tests" to help possibly determine what an old finish is. I now plan to do that before anything else, Gunny. The wood console radio has been in our family too long to not keep it in excellent condition.

Thanks again!
PT7

You're welcome. Btw, there's no real "test" for varnish, but if you don't get any reactions from the previous tests, it's likely a older varnish formula (before polyurethane), and you can proceed how you wish without worrying about damaging the finish. The caution about water raising grain in damaged or worn areas where bare wood exists, stands however.

Looking forward to the After pics. :)
1 x