Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chain Gang

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Chain Gang

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 am

:lol:

When I made the boxes for the Daughter and Son - in - Law in Oklahoma, I mentioned that they were finished. Sorta. ;) I needed to add a chain to stop the lids from flapping back and getting damaged. I ordered the chains, finally. I looked at Lee Valley first, but they only had the larger, longer chains. So... I checked Rocker, where I also had found the hinges for the Granddaughter's toy box for the Christmas build. Originally I just ordered a kit for the SIL's box, then realized I needed one for the daughter's box as well. I called Rockler CS, and they were very kind, adding the second kit. I asked about the shipping, which had been $5.99 on the $15.99 order. "Well," said the nice young lady, "It will bump it up to $7.99, but you are only $4 short of free shipping." :)

I told her to add another chain kit. I could always use it later, I build a lot of boxes to pass the time and every now and then I hinge the lids. :) Saving the $7.99 shipping pays half the cost of the $15.99 chain kit. The kits include the brass chain, the two brass fittings to attach the chain, and two brass colored stainless screws. (a good thing, since brass screws snap off when you try and screw them in.) :twisted:

The shipping email predicted that the package would arrive on Wednesday, the 28th. The kits arrived on Monday. :lol: Go! Rockler. !

Anywho, I took the two boxes out this morning and installed the chain kits. I was very careful, didn't want to drill through the sides. I also had to drill the ONE pair of holes by hand, spinning the bit with my fingers. NO room to get the drill in there to do it. :evil: That was a pain in the butt. Poor planning. I'll not forget that lesson for a while. (Senile... I'll forget it by tomorrow.) :cry: sigh......

The boxes turned out great. Looks good and they should last a long time.
Daughter's box.jpg
Daughter's box.jpg (296.98 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
SIL Box.jpg
SIL Box.jpg (252.99 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Chain Gang

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am

nicely done
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Chain Gang

Post by The Wiz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Pretty cool!!!!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856