Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Memorial Flag Box Project

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Memorial Flag Box Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I started the Flag Box project yesterday, by working on the formal layout. I don't usually do a full size drawing, unless it's for a special project like this one.
01 formal sketch.jpg
01 formal sketch.jpg (244.12 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
I got out into the shop this morning and went through the mahogany pile and chose the various boards I needed, after going over the drawing and taking careful measurements to determine which boards I'd need in which lengths. I have two widths available, 3" and 3-3/4. Unfortunately, I needed two of the wider ones in the longer lengths, and wasn't going to have but one at that length... so it required some work.

First I chose the ones I did have in the proper lengths based on color and grain patterns.
02 choosing wood.jpg
02 choosing wood.jpg (299.03 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
There is plenty of wood left if I make a mistake or three.
05 some left.jpg
05 some left.jpg (286.65 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
To get the second longer wide board, I first matched a couple of the longer 3" boards for color, then jointed the edges.
03 jointing edges.jpg
03 jointing edges.jpg (323.37 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Once I got a good match, I test clamped them to insure a gap free joint, then glued and clamped them to insure a good bond.
This will be the bottom panel of the two panel base.
04 clamped up.jpg
04 clamped up.jpg (333.27 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
You may remember from an earlier post, that I took measurements off the actual flag, and created a substitute out of cardboard and sent the real flag HOME with the owner. I didn't want to risk it. The box will be built around this cardboard stand-in. :lol:
folded.jpg
folded.jpg (262.9 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Watch this space.... for updates.
:)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Memorial Flag Box Project

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Very cool stuff BoM.
Curious about the bubble gum in the second pic, or is that for you? :D
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Henry88 wrote:Very cool stuff BoM.
Curious about the bubble gum in the second pic, or is that for you? :D
I allow myself one piece while working in the shop. I don't have any in the house.
I lost thirty pounds a couple years ago, and am trying to keep it off. Lol.
:lol:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am

Work session yesterday got me started on the upper section of the flag box, working from the notated sketch using the measurements noted.
02 with measurements noted.jpg
02 with measurements noted.jpg (219.19 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
My plan is to cut out all the sections I can up front, and do the basic sanding. Then work on the accents and the additional necessary tooling, such as the dado at the back for the rear panel. Then mark all the fitting, and drill the needed holes for assembly. I plan to have what screws will be used hidden. The holes will have to be marked and drilled before any assembly begins.

The upper "flag box" was cut yesterday. Turned out okay.
01 flag section.jpg
01 flag section.jpg (309.5 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
I set up the miter saw on the mobile cart so it's right in the work area. Makes things much easier.
03 work areas.jpg
03 work areas.jpg (350.62 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
Will get back at it this morning, after coffee is done. :) Can't work without coffee. :P
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

back at it

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Back at it this morning... still working on the basic cutting and fitting... NO gluing up. :)
I started by cutting out the basic components of the base. The face and sides, and the first level of the bottom.
02 base.jpg
02 base.jpg (242.56 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
All the accents will be routed before assembly. I haven't used the router table in about five years, but I think I will use it here for consistency in this project.
Next I took the clamps off the lower wide glue up jointed base panel and trimmed it to size. First I had to use one of the cabinet scrapers to remove the glue lines and smooth the surface.
03 scraping jointed base.jpg
03 scraping jointed base.jpg (266.43 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
I saved the scapings to fill in any needed holes or gaps down the road. Assures a good match. ;)

The mock up of the base!
04 full base.jpg
04 full base.jpg (248.04 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Next task was using the strips I cut from the Off Cuts from the base to cut the trim that will hold the glass in the flag compartment. I used the Veritas trim saw and free hand cut the angles after carefully marking them using the flag compartment as my guide.
05 veritas saw.jpg
05 veritas saw.jpg (281.37 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
I cut the bottom trim first, then clamped IT in place, cut the right side angled trim, clamped it in place.... and then fit the last trim piece ... NOT perfect, but saw dust will fill the small gaps nicely. 8-)
06 glass trim.jpg
06 glass trim.jpg (290.92 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Next up?
Routing....
Sanding... (LOTS of sanding.. 200, 400, 600 grits)
Beading... not with beads but accent work on the wood. :P
Still to come?
I'll mark the various locations where holes will be needed, and drill them on the drill press.
I also have to mark the location of the Challenge coins and drill the cavities with the Forstner bits, and drill the pilot holes for the name plate nails.
We are moving right along. :)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Sheesh... could have sworn I took some pictures of the late afternoon session... but the camera card was empty. I got out for a short forty five minutes. I marked each piece of the flag section in blue chalk, or light pencil marks on the inside as to it's position in the build. Left, right, bottom etc... that way I know the orientation. Then I put a short blue chalk stripe down each edge that needs to be routed BEFORE I took the pieces out of their mock up positions. I did this with the components for the base as well. It's easy to get turned around and mess up a piece by routing an incorrect edge. Sure, I have MORE mahogany, but each of these pieces was chosen for color and grain, especially the three key visual pieces, the two sides to the flag assembly and the FACE plate of the base. :lol: The grain and color of those was special, and I don't think I could replace it from the wood I have stacked on the side bench. :cry:

I'll take my time, THINK about each piece in my hand BEFORE routing, and look at the markings again to insure they are clear before I even set UP the router table. ;) Better to take extra prep time than to rush it... and ruin a piece. :evil: Not as big a deal when I'm making a box just to be filling time and get out of the recliner.... but an important piece like this... an "Honor" piece? :twisted: Check it twice. ;)

I'll check each piece and make sure all the markings are clear.

"Don't Ask Me How I Know This!" :roll:
A common running joke when sharing advice on the woodworking forums... abbreviated DAMHIKT.... :) We have all made our shared mistakes at least once.... and work hard NOT to make the same one TWICE. :?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Router Work

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm

I was back at it this morning.... and before I started the work, I made sure that all the markings were clear. Blue Chalk saves things.
01 blue chalk saves.jpg
01 blue chalk saves.jpg (280.59 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
As you can see in this pic, as I explained in the earlier post, each piece is identified, and then each edge that will get attention in routing, is marked.
I used a 1/4" roundover bit on the lines marked in this picture.

I also marked the edges on the base, but they will be routed with a different bit. The base was routed with a Roman Ogee
02 base too.jpg
02 base too.jpg (226.76 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
The Flag was brought by this morning, and checked for fit prior to my routing anything. It fits. ;) Keep in mind that there will be glass in the frame, the trim pieces will be set back 1/4 to 3/8" and there will be a back plate behind the flag... it will fit nicely right up against the glass when all is said and done. Also, this is a rough fit for testing, the edges WILL line up during final assembly. :oops:
04 flag fits.jpg
04 flag fits.jpg (291.37 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
I showed the daughter of the vet what the layout of the face would look like with the coins and the engraved plate. Out of respect I have blacked out the engraving on the plate as it had name and DOB on it. Note that the coins will be inlaid in the face.
03 layout.jpg
03 layout.jpg (189.67 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Here is the base after routing... now the sanding begins ...
05 routing.jpg
05 routing.jpg (256.82 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Lot's of sanding... then assembly. I may also flock the inside of the flag compartment.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

panel dadoes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am

Shop work this morning would seem like a lot of time expended for so little result. :P
I spent about 90 minutes in the shop, with two pictures to show the work completed. Before I started sanding, I wanted to cut the dadoes for the two back panels. The one for the flag panel will be removable, even though I suspect that it will be installed and not come back off unless someone :o breaks the glass.

The second will be glued and pinned in place and NOT be removed again. The time expended was mostly spend changing to the Box Joint dado blade, setting up the depth of cut and then setting the fence spacing for the Flag box panels and making those cuts, two of which were simple passes, and the base was a stop cut pass which required the panel to be lowered to the blade and moved back and forth to stop lines. (Not a problem with a shallow cut in straight grained knotless woods.) Still, care must be taken and safety gear worn, which I do anyway. :)

Then, the depth of cut was checked again, and the fence reset for the two cuts for the base pieces, and those two SHORT cuts made. Once those were done, I had to remove the dado blade and reinstall the standard blade. As you can see in the first pic, I will need to use a chisel to finish the cut (dado) in the base of the flag compartment as the drop pass leaves a curve in the dado. No matter.
01 back panel dado.jpg
01 back panel dado.jpg (281.78 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
The box dado blade sure leaves a crisp groove huh?
02 base dado.jpg
02 base dado.jpg (218.8 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Sanding begins after lunch.
:P
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

detail work

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Back at it this morning... and decided to knock out some of the detail work. First up... cutting the chisel work on the flag box dadoes for the back panel.
Marked the proper angles after carefully measuring where they needed to be... and got busy.
01 marked.jpg
01 marked.jpg (230.29 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
I used two sharp chisels and the mallet, and had to use the Optvisor to see well enough to get the job done. ;) Old eyes.
02 detail work.jpg
02 detail work.jpg (331.59 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
After about an hour of prep work and chisels, it looks pretty good. A little trimming.... and we'll be there.
03 almost there.jpg
03 almost there.jpg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Next, I made up the back for the pedestal. I used some maple ply rather than the thin backer I plan to use for the flag compartment, for strength. I also added some "mini studs." ;) Overkill? Nah, they are placed where I'll be seating the coins, and nailing in the tacks for the faceplate. Okay... overkill. But they were made from scraps and they will help insure the strength of the pedestal and keep it square during glue up. 8-) At least that's the plan... and I have plenty of time.
04 pedestal backing.jpg
04 pedestal backing.jpg (280.48 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
05 pedestal front.jpg
05 pedestal front.jpg (264.04 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
I'll get this glued up after lunch, maybe. :roll:

Then... sanding.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 am

Looking forward to seeing this one progress. I saw a lot of flag boxes through the years when I wore the uniform. Some really nice, some good, some not so good. This one is looking incredibly nice.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)