Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone Ever Carve A Gunstock?

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Anyone Ever Carve A Gunstock?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm

I think I might try it. Don't have a clue. I guess a good start will be to watch a video or two... and then give it a shot. :roll:
I have some spoke shaves, a nice collection of chisels.. and some decent wood. I'll be carving the stock for an old, OLD, .22 Single Shot Winchester Model 60. It had to have been made prior to 1964 since there is no serial number on the rifle.
G31 Winchester Model 60 Pre64 no sn.jpg
G31 Winchester Model 60 Pre64 no sn.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
(NCG... don't you have one of these?)

I bought this gun twenty or thirty years ago, used, from a pawn shop in my patrol area. I picked it up for one reason. All my kids learned to shoot with this old gun, and I'm about to pass down to the middle daughter of the three. She has a horse farm, plenty of room and she and her husband will teach her daughter to shoot with this gun when she is ready. The gun isn't much, but it's family, and it's got family history. I am going to clean it up a bit, and give the NEW stock thing a try. If the NEW stock doesn't turn out, I can refinish the original and my granddaughter will still have the rifle her mom learned to shoot on when they decide she has proven herself worthy of her "OWN" gun. Farm kid... the time will come.

Big Grin But... if it does turn out... oh boy... it will really be special won't it? I'll go slow, take my time, and try and match the original lines. Hardest part will be lining up the holes I'll have to drill. :lol:

Any hints, any suggestions?

(You know what this is really practice for, right? 8-) )
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.