Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not So Pretty Woodworking Project

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Not So Pretty Woodworking Project

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Sir Henry wrote:The joys of owning an RV. Looks like you mastered the repair.
there is little doubt that mastered might be a bit too strong of a term .. :? .. we've managed to travel in our camper in all of the lower 48 states .... the vast, vast majority of the miles have been good (fun even) and trouble free .... but, there have been a few times that issues surfaced and had to be taken care of .... rain is due to set in tonight and hang around for most of tomorrow .... if this rain front develops as forecasted, we should have some idea as to if the repair performs as well as we hope
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 am

It looks good to me, and I'm sure at a lot less than any major rv repair facility would have charged and with more care than most would have taken in the repair. Your turnaround was likely quicker as well. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:17 am

you are correct on all points .... my second career was working in an RV Dealership .... no way I will take my camper in for work if there is any way I can avoid it
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:20 am

A buddy I worked with was a huge rv'r. Had a 5th wheel with the slide out room on the side nicer than some of the apts I rented when I was first married. Early in his career, he sold RVs. He said that at the shows, the often sold demos, and the prep crews that repaired the damage used mostly super glue behind the scenes. No trim nails, no wood glues, no replacing broken knobs... super glue.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, as a woodturner, I have used a lot of super glue. I've repaired cracked turnings and used it with things like sawdust and coffee grounds to fill voids. Pen turners often use it it glue pen tubes inside blanks. It actually holds up pretty well. Biggest down side is it won't fill gaps well, and the smell.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:46 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:A buddy I worked with was a huge rv'r. Had a 5th wheel with the slide out room on the side nicer than some of the apts I rented when I was first married. Early in his career, he sold RVs. He said that at the shows, the often sold demos, and the prep crews that repaired the damage used mostly super glue behind the scenes. No trim nails, no wood glues, no replacing broken knobs... super glue.
one size most certainly doesn't fit all .... when it comes to the degree dealerships go to in making repairs varies widely .... given this isn't true in all cases, my observation/experience has been that the larger the dealership, the sorrier the service .... I wouldn't allow any Camping World to work on my camper unless I literally had no other option .... most smaller (mom and pop) dealerships stay in business through building a loyal following who come back time and again along with sending their friends and neighbors .... to earn that type of loyalty, they have to provide good service .... I also find that mobile techs recommended by a campground's personnel customarily give good service .... granted, that good service usually comes at a premium price ....
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

That's what Fred told me... He had a "guy" that drove around in a Small truck with one of those pickup shells on the back that had drawers and cubbies and and mobile genny, air compressor and the works on it. Truck was as old as the old geezer was, but he KNEW more than most had forgotten, took all the Tech classes when the new models came out and did real Quality work. For David at least, his prices were actually lower than the BIG dealership, because he wasn't trying to pay for the fancy shops and showrooms. Sadly, my friend passed recently from a Brain Tumor, but with no regrets. He had flown in Bombers in the Air Force, Driven for Greyhound and Tour Bus companies all over the US, and then he and his wife saw the us from the Front of the 5th Wheel Dually as they visited the Grandkids and Great-Grandkids all around the country in a continuous loop... coming back to Virginia to relax, recoup, restock, repair, and start all over.

Fred said that the guys old truck was spotless, ran like a top and he knew where EVERYTHING was on the truck, never wasted one second looking for anything.
0 x