Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Oklahoma Projects in Progress!

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Oklahoma Projects in Progress!

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Still has final buffing then poly to be applied.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

In the shop on Christmas Day...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Working on Christmas Presents. I think they will be late, since they are... Well, Oklahoma gifts. :lol:

The next step in the Daughter's box is to make the sides for the box, and I decided on Mahogany Sides with Box/Finger joints. I'll use the Ibox Jig.
This will throw a LOT of sawdust and I have had an idea how to improve the dust collection on the table saw for a LONG time but just never got around to implementing it. About time to do so. ;) Won't take long, and I have the extra magnets around... so.

First, I cut out two thin panels to fit the open section at the back of the saw. This is where the vacuum loses power and where the cyclone throws out a lot of the sawdust. I countersunk one of the magnets and I left one proud due to the construction of the area of the saw there. This would help the panel sit as flush as possible without getting all complicated.
01 simple fix.jpg
01 simple fix.jpg (247.64 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Then, I installed the panels by sticking them in place... click. Rare Earth magnets grabbed and we were in bidness.
:lol:
02 in place.jpg
02 in place.jpg (304.64 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
The test was very successful. For the first time after a major project, there was very little sawdust around the base of the saw after project was complete.

Working on the box was more complicated than this makes it seem. The most difficult portion is changing the blades and setting up the IBOX Jig... then it's just a matter of repetitive cuts and making sure the pieces are properly placed and set in the jig before each pass.
03 Ibox Jig.jpg
03 Ibox Jig.jpg (274.91 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
If you do YOUR part, the jig does it's job and you end up with a very nice output. Here is the test fit afterwards.
04 Daughter's Box moving along.jpg
04 Daughter's Box moving along.jpg (291.63 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
A closer look at the Box/Finger Joint. They are called both.
05 box or finger joints.jpg
05 box or finger joints.jpg (269.38 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
As always, more to do. I'll have the hinge to set. Edges on the top to decide on, and sanding and finishing yet. Plus I have bottom trim and a bottom to install. But, it's coming along. I think she will like it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Once the sides are glued, the proud joints can be sanded flush, or left proud as an accent. With this box, I plan to go with a more rustic look and will likely leave them as they are.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Working on the Daughter's Base

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Got to work on the base for the Daughter's Box this morning. First step was to cut the mortise for the piano hinge for the top. A lot of planning and layout, and then you ease the Table Saw blade into the cut, then push thru to the stop. Once that has been done... (Pucker factor is high, if you slip.. you have to MAKE that piece over, or try to cover up the mistake.).... you cut the corners square and neat with the chisel.
:D
01 cutting the hinge mortise.jpg
01 cutting the hinge mortise.jpg (308.73 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
I backed the mahogany with an additional mahogany board to keep the cuts from splitting the mortise out in the back. Slow and careful work and
BOOM...
02 Boom.jpg
02 Boom.jpg (293.76 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
03 just a tweek for this end.jpg
03 just a tweek for this end.jpg (236.46 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
The hinge is test fitted and I liked it all but the near end. Shaved it a bit with the sharp chisel and we were good.

The Box was then test fitted again, and once I was happy I took hard Qtips and applied glue to the inside of the finger joints to minimize squeeze out. If I can avoid having to sand the fingers away due to glue residue, I will leave them as an accent on this box. :) The box was clamped up, checked for square, and left to dry overnight.
04 Glue up.jpg
04 Glue up.jpg (315.18 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Tomorrow I will cut the interior ledge for the bottom to rest on, the upper ledge for a sliding tray, and decide what I want to make the tray from. Walnut, mahogany, ash? Maybe laminate birdeye maple? Who knows... it's for one of the kids, it's gonna be special if I can make it so. ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 pm

One note... that silver ashtray looking thing in the pics is really cool. I have never smoked, it's a magnetic parts tray. Put a part in the tray, it doesn't move, especially if you need to keep screws in order, or pattern.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 am

The small sassy box for my granddaughter is waxed and buffed. I may apply another coat, since they told us to wait and bring the boxes in the spring rather than chance shipping. Pictures later today when I post more on my daughter's box.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 am

Jess's box got serious attention yesterday, seeing handmade rails for the bottom to rest in cut and rabbitted from leftover walnut from Izzy's toybox trim. I cut 3/8 inch square stock off the edges of the framing trim, rabbitted one edge, and fitted it inside. The rolled edge of that walnut trim, will likely become bottom trim on the outside of the outside of the box.

I still need to form mahogany upper rails, build the sliding interior tray... oh my, still so much fun.

Pics are coming... I promise.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Oklahoma Project Pics... as promised.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am

PICS!

The bottom brackets, walnut rabbits, glue drying in the clamps.
01 brackets drying.jpg
01 brackets drying.jpg (311.87 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
The little slivers of walnut are from final trimming of the rabbits with the really sharp chisel.. pucker factor was high. Slip and you cut the piece in half. Don't ask how I know that. :?

A look at the Rabbits where the flocked bottom panel will fit.
02 rabbits.jpg
02 rabbits.jpg (264.28 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
I can't just throw anything together... I could have cut a panel, cut a square and nailed it to the bottom, but... no, not me.
03 starting the tray.jpg
03 starting the tray.jpg (253.64 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
I wanted it to be... :roll: ... special. This is purpleheart, and my memory fails me, but this highly figured something or another... (sigh)
I took a small 1" piece and cut bookmatched sections to match the thickness (almost) of the purple heart, then cut them so that they would fit on the panel that will become the bottom of the tray when inserted in the dadoes of the mahogany sides. Measure three or four times, then cut. :o

Glue up begins with rolling glue on the bottom panel, which will be covered by the exotics.
04 glue up.jpg
04 glue up.jpg (272.14 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
Glue the edges of the decorative pieces too.
05 yup edges too.jpg
05 yup edges too.jpg (221.82 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
Everything in place?
06 ready to clamp.jpg
06 ready to clamp.jpg (270.79 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
Once the glue dries overnight, I will use a card/cabinet scraper to level the three pieces so there is no transition between them.
There will be an even appearance and the bottom of the tray will be flat... or I'll start again ... :lol:

Cover with a larger board for even pressure and clamp.
07 pressure applied.jpg
07 pressure applied.jpg (260.53 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
I cut two of the side pieces to determine the length of the bottom inserts, but still have to cut two more, and cut the dadoes, and build the tray frame... tomorrow.
08 mahogany frames.jpg
08 mahogany frames.jpg (290.3 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
All those coils of shavings around the box assembly? From smoothing the bottom edges and assuring they are all flat and even before starting on the rest of the project from that point. I love the whisper the plane makes cutting those thin passes. 8-)

Then the rails for the tray to ride on... and finish the top, install the hinges, and the exterior bottom walnut trim. But getting there. It's been fun.
So far. I could mess up and turn it into firewood... there is still time. :P
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The Tray is Glued Up...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Afternoon session....

Pulled the pressure off the tray bottom and got to work.
01 out of the clamps.jpg
01 out of the clamps.jpg (258.13 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
I knew I would need to plane the bottom of the tray smooth and I first sharpened the plane iron then got busy. The thin shavings are a testament to the sharpness of the plane. :D
02 smoothing.jpg
02 smoothing.jpg (307.31 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Once I was level and smooth, a couple passes with the sandpaper for glass smooth and we were good.
03 evened up.jpg
03 evened up.jpg (235.39 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Then I cut the dadoes and got to measuring, cutting, and trimming and put the sides together.
Once everything was cool... 8-) I added the glue and clamped 'er up.
04 sides done and clamped.jpg
04 sides done and clamped.jpg (284.43 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Done for the day, but we are on the downhill slope. :P

*** I think the accent wood with the purple heart? Knotty Pine!
:P
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Tray Work

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Out in the shop after coffee this morning and worked on the tray again after getting it out of the band clamps. Worked on shaping the tray, and then making the walnut supports the removable tray will rest on. To allow better access to the box, I decided NOT to go with a sliding deal but just lift out. 8-)
insert shaped and checked.jpg
insert shaped and checked.jpg (205.08 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
The corner shape was defined by a quarter and then sanded to match the curve. I wiped the box down with Mineral Spirits, which allows you to check the grain, for failures in your sanding, and when it dries, it leaves NO residue to affect your finishing process later... Sweet. :)

Time for a break, and then I need to get a deep rubbermaid bin from the storage building so I can flock the bottom. Almost messed up and installed the tray rests before flocking the bottom panel and installing it. It wouldn't have cleared the tray rests. :evil: :evil: :evil: I would have had to recut a two piece bottom and reflocked and installed the bottom in TWO sections, then flocked the seam after installation. :twisted:

Remember the advice of my old woodworking mentor... it's not a mistake unless you can't fix it, or someone sees it before you do! :lol:
It's a learning experience. (Since I have made this mista... AH ... This learning experience before...) I checked before installing the tray rests. :P
1 x