Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Oklahoma Projects in Progress!

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Bottom Flocking...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:07 pm

NOT flogging. :?

Flocking... adding shredded velvet pieces to coat the wood for a crushed velvet finish. :lol: Sheesh.
The first step is to seal the wood. I painted it with flat black paint. Works good, dries in five minutes. ;)

Next up, after all the various things we need are laid out, since the steps have to follow one another quickly.... :o
We paint the bottom panel with the DonJer Undercoat to match the flocking we chose, I chose wine.
01 undercoat.jpg
01 undercoat.jpg (257.68 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
You paint as even a coat as you can get but you must insure you get full coverage. Next you place the painted item in a container to catch the excess flocking and to allow it to dry in a protected space. I chose a shallow rubbermaid storage container.
02 painted.jpg
02 painted.jpg (240.6 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
You'll see in a minute why this is important... Load up the flocking tube in advance and the next step is a breeze, this is what I had done.
03 load er up.jpg
03 load er up.jpg (259.86 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
When you actually Flock, OVER Flock, spray a generous coating of flocking over the entire project, it will only stick where the undercoating is present, the rest will shake off, brush off, when you clear the project after drying overnight. THIS is why you need a protected place to flock. I put the top on the container and no dust or MICE enter the drying area. (Don't ask about MICE prints in a Flocked piece. :twisted: )
04 over flock.jpg
04 over flock.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
You can recover, re-bag, and reuse the unattached shredded velvet for later projects if it wasn't contaminated by dust and dirt. :) So make sure your container can protect your project while it dries.
05 protect during drying.jpg
05 protect during drying.jpg (249.69 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
After I put away the tools and set the project aside to dry, I (Hopefully) made one last pass at the top with the CT Thick Glue after the sanding of the last pass, and this should do it. Remember, those were DEEP crevices to fill.
06 top work.jpg
06 top work.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Tomorrow I should be able to install the bottom, and then install the rests for the tray insert. I will probably finish the interior before installing the bottom to avoid staining the flocking... (Remember? Learning Experiences?) :roll:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Detail Work

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Needed to stay busy and I don't watch sports or parades, and I am movied out. :roll: I am a bit anal about my projects. If you look at the pic I posted earlier showing the rabbits in the bottom of the "box" for the bottom to fit into, there is a slight gap. I went out and cut tiny plugs to fill those gaps. Miss Tina came out and saw what I was doing. :? "Really?" she said. She shook her head and walked back in after checking out the tray and flocked bottom. SHE has picked up a cold.

If you look in the corners here:
02 rabbits.jpg
02 rabbits.jpg (264.28 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
You can see the small gaps of an 1/8" I'm talking about. ;)

After the work, you can see I have filled the gaps.
02 details.jpg
02 details.jpg (270.93 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
I also marked the area where the tray supports will go with blue chalk hashmarks. When I apply finish in the morning, I will avoid that area as the glue won't adhere well when finish has been applied. :)

I wiped down the entire box checking for flaws, and as you can see, we are about ready to apply finish. I have to decide if I want to put the molding on the outside at the bottom before I apply the exterior finish. :|
01 checked.jpg
01 checked.jpg (285.81 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
I also installed, then removed the piano hinge on the box. It will be fitted to the top the same way and then set aside until the very last. I forgot to take pics. Senility is a bad thing. :oops:

In this pic of the tray, you can see the tray supports laying in the tray, these will be installed tomorrow after the interior finishing is done and the bottom has been installed. In addition, you can see what I meant by the drying of the mineral spirits returns the wood to it's original state.
03 tray.jpg
03 tray.jpg (305.12 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
We ARE getting close. 8-)
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Oklahoma Projects in Progress!

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm

I hope Miss Tina feels better soon; but (surely because she didn't feel well), she said, "Really?"

Tell her for me, "Yup! Really." Thanks for being anal about your work and sharing it with us! It looks great.

Really!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks CT...
She has also decided she doesn't like the rustic fingers I want to leave.
"You NEED to sand those flush."
She says they make the box look unfinished.
They really ARE a design feature in projects... :roll:
I still haven't decided if my artistic freedom is worth her gnawing on my ear about it... until I die. :P
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 pm

I was wondering if you were going to leave the "fingers". I like them, I think they go well with the lid.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks Dave.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

OH NO!

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

Went out this morning and got started... :P Six degrees outside, 68 in the shop. Things were going good, and I stained the tray, tray rests, and the inside of the box. Off to a great start. ;)
01 Finish applied to tray.jpg
01 Finish applied to tray.jpg (269.57 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
02 and the box.jpg
02 and the box.jpg (290.15 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I checked on the flocked bottom panel and it looked good, so I sealed it back up in the Rubbermaid tub to keep it clean and safe. Back to work.
03 checked and safe.jpg
03 checked and safe.jpg (272.44 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I decided to shape the edges on the top. Touched up the edges on the box plane, and got to work.
A few passes on each edge with the plane at a 45 degree angle, taking thin shavings on each pass. I just wanted to round the edges. After taking a bit off both sides, I'd come back with 220 grit sandpaper and roll both sides. Worked out very well and in just about 45 minutes I had that knocked out. :P
04 edge work.jpg
04 edge work.jpg (179.77 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
05 little at a time.jpg
05 little at a time.jpg (262.07 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
:roll: Time to set the hinge on the top. Measure, measure, measure, check, measure. Critical here. Mark, check, measure. Drill the pilot holes and carefully set the first screw in one end. :) Tah Dah! Carefully set the screw in the other end and just as the screw bottomed out... the head sheared off. :o :twisted: :evil: *&!#$

Okay... I can deal with that later. I stepped up a bit size and will use glue when I install the hinge. I carefully install the next screw. :shock: :? :o Snap, a second screw snaps off. :cry: THIS is not good. This Black Walnut must have concrete centers. :roll: I stop and look through all my screws and find a stainless steel version of the same size. Sometimes you have to TAP the hole with a stainless steel version and then use the brass for the installation. :P
I use the bigger bit and tap the hole. As the screw nestles into the countersunk hole in the hinge... SNAP... I hear the hinge laughing at me. :x

I give up, and take out the initial screw that seated fine. Half a turn with the #1 phillips... SNAP. That screw head shears off. You have GOT to be kidding me. I DON'T throw the screwdriver against the wall sticking it into the finished walls. 8-) I lay it on the workbench, and walk to the specialty tools draw and remove the screw extractor for the drill press. Here we go....
06 extractor.jpg
06 extractor.jpg (214.53 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I cut around each screw to my preset depth, working my way slowly down.
07 drill em all.jpg
07 drill em all.jpg (262.54 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Then I use a chisel to work the wood from around the screws.
08 expose it.jpg
08 expose it.jpg (261.37 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I take my mini vise grips and remove the screws.
09 mini vise grips.jpg
09 mini vise grips.jpg (231.09 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I use a 3/8ths forstner bit to cut the previously drilled extractor holes to a consistent size
I inspect my collection of wooden plugs
10 collection of plugs.jpg
10 collection of plugs.jpg (340.24 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Choose mahogany, you won't really see them anyway, and they worked when I screwed the hinge on the box.
11 mahogany.jpg
11 mahogany.jpg (298.61 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Roll the plug thru the glue for an even coat.
12 coat it.jpg
12 coat it.jpg (222.69 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Set the plug in the hole
13 start it.jpg
13 start it.jpg (224.6 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Seat it as deep as it will go with the rawhide mallet
14 seat it.jpg
14 seat it.jpg (253.91 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Now we wait.
15 dreaded drying time.jpg
15 dreaded drying time.jpg (243.59 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Well, not to throw stones at your artistic sensibilities, I'm with your wife on the finger joints. I love the look of nice finger joints. Sand those pups flush. You should get nice contrast between the end grain and side grain. I would think the protruding fingers would end up suffering from damage during use.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 pm

My wife is a gold medal nagger. Probably end up getting rid of the fingers in the end. :)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Oops... daughter chimed in after Miss T said to ask her. She likes the look. The fingers stay.
Got the plugs trimmed flush and the hinge safely mounted. Pics, but too tired to deal now. Done for the day.
0 x