Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The OTHER story... Working With Tina.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The OTHER story... Working With Tina.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 pm

In the shop this morning, getting ready to finish the Leather Tool rack and get back to the toy box, the door to the shop opens and in walks the boss.
:? Did she bring hot coffee, a sammich, a BIG seven sin chocolate cake? :lol:
Nope... she had a question. She wanted paper and a pencil so she could lay it out for me. That didn't bode well. That sounded like work.
She had an idea for another display rack. This one would be for some lotion bars she makes, and wanted to know if I could.... :roll:

Of course I can, I always can... just how much time and trouble will it be. Time...? That is the question... never trouble. A challenge maybe.
She is too good to me. She showed me what she wanted and I started asking questions: the usual. How wide, how much space between, here and here, how tall, with thickness, how much weight...
:o :shock:
"Ah... well, maybe?"
I told her to take her sketch, and run back out to her shop and come back with numbers.
Data...
"INPUT for Johnny Five." :P

She came back about half hour later with the numbers and we started looking at the wood in the corner discussing which would we could use and why. She always tries to whimp out and go with cheapo stuff. But I don't work that way. She wants to go with the quickie way out and I don't go that way. I started laying out my tools and pulling wood.

"We don't have to do this now... :o " she said.
"I can knock it out in a couple hours and you'll have it." I told her, "everything else can wait."

She does so much for me... like not holding that pillow over my face each night while I sleep... :twisted:
It's the least I can do, right?

Anytime I work with the boss, it's a juggling act. She will want to know WHY?
Why do you have to do it that way?
Why use that tool, that saw, that wood?
Why not cut this first and then that?
Why are you ...?

I know she is trying to learn, but it's also because she was a manager for so long and used to being in charge and having things done HER way. :lol:
But, in my shop, she defers to my judgement.

She has learned over the years that most often there is a good reason for the way I do things, and I won't be rushed. Like most of my projects, I took her sketch and worked out the measurements and numbers along the edges of the paper, then worked from those numbers and modified the design as we went. We used the table saw, the chop saw, and the dado blade to cut slots for the dividers. We worked with the brad nailer and clamps and it was a fun project all around. From Can You to done was about three hours. She will paint the project and enhance it with decoration later.. but it's functional now.

Here she is checking some of the dividers in the slots after assembly.
working with the boss.jpg
working with the boss.jpg (270.25 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
The completed project, HER design come to life.
Tina's design.jpg
Tina's design.jpg (269.46 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
In HER shop, testing the display rack.
worked out perfect.jpg
worked out perfect.jpg (296.24 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
This is Miss Tina's Shop... it was my old woodshop, that I had my GUY move to the side and reattach power to when they started the Garage/Woodshop for me. I told Tina it had 110/220 power, AC and was Airconditioned... she may as well use it has HER hobby shop. She took me to heart and did all this work herself.
Miss Tina's shop.jpg
Miss Tina's shop.jpg (286.19 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
She sews here, makes her ALL natural soaps, lotions and creams in this little shop. The cabinets, sink and the rest she found either free, or VERY cheap on Craig's list. The stencils and the painting she did herself. She doesn't shy from a challenge.

Yes, I have been told before. I am a lucky man.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: The OTHER story... Working With Tina.

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks, Marine.

If you are not saving these writings and photos anywhere other than within this forum, please do so. You are an exquisite storyteller. Your family will be grateful. I am.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"