Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Christmas Presents

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Christmas Presents

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 pm

I got out in the shop today, and took the first two out of the clamps to clear the bench. Then worked on the layout of number three. Wanted to solve that puzzle and get it clamped before beginning the work on the first two. I had fueled up with a mug of coffee and was ready to go. I used the square and began the layout. Many of the last group's pieces had flaws, which I cut out, and I used pieces from the "Extra" group to fill in. I'm not slow, I knew I would need some. :roll: Been there before. (The rule is, when you prepare wood from rough stock, ALWAYS prep extra.) If you look at the initial layout, you'll see that there are some gaps as the pieces aren't all the same width. This can be fixed so it doesn't cause problems later.
13 layout number 3.jpg
13 layout number 3.jpg (152.95 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

Set up the table saw, to the width of the narrowest piece, then made it 1/32nd smaller. Ran all the pieces thru ... :) Better safe than sorry. This was for width only, the height was set by the planer. 8-)

14 trim to match.jpg
14 trim to match.jpg (128.2 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

Now, went back to the layout, and with the newly trimmed pieces, including a couple extras, I was able to get a nicely fitted layout. No gaps. You'll note the reference edge is butted, but the left edge is left over long.

15 no gaps.jpg
15 no gaps.jpg (155.18 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

Number three is glued up and clamped.

16 glue up three.jpg
16 glue up three.jpg (129.41 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

One and two were run thru the planer to insure both sides were flat and then trimmed and the edges neatened. They will still get sanded thru 120, 220, and 320 before receiving finish, but I will wait and sand all the boards at one time.

17 trimmed one and two.jpg
17 trimmed one and two.jpg (171.98 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Time to start the Chevron Board. I watched several different videos on YouTube on the process and pulled techniques from several. It will be an involved process, and you end up gluing up the cutting board at least twice, but the result will be worth it, if I don't blow it. ;) I am using the walnut, maple and adding mahogany as a trim/accent. Prior to starting I ran all the stock thru the planer to insure that all four sides were smooth and clean. The mahogany was already crisp and clean from the prep work during recovery. (It's reclaimed, but that's a long story.) I ripped it to Height to match the other two woods.

Let's get rolling. The first step is to cut one end at 45 degrees and all the pieces will reference off that end. Once that was done, it was a matter of starting the layout, then the glue up.

18 starting chevron pattern.jpg
18 starting chevron pattern.jpg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

Once I was happy with the layout, I put down the parchment paper and got busy with the glue up. This was the longest by far as the thin mahogany accents added eight boards to the mix.

19 glue up chevron.jpg
19 glue up chevron.jpg (147.98 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

Once they were all glued up, I put them in the clamps and added the cross member for downward pressure to keep them flat.

20 chevron in the clamps.jpg
20 chevron in the clamps.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Hours later I was able to remove them from the clamps, true up the 45 degree edge and then cut one and a half inch strips using the 45 degree edge along the fence as a guide. Turning alternating pieces the opposite direction gives you the chevron pattern. Too tired to do the second glue up this evening, but you get the idea.

21 ripped at 1 and a half inches.jpg
21 ripped at 1 and a half inches.jpg (173.14 KiB) Viewed 3553 times

I REALLY like this pattern, and I think THIS will be Miss Tina's board. :P Unless I blow it and it becomes kindling. :twisted:
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:45 pm

LOVE IT Jim! Great work!
Beautiful.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:53 pm

WOW I really like it!
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:55 am

COOL!!
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 am

VERY cool indeed. Almost makes me want to start cooking....I said, almost,🤔
Think I'll leave that to the pro! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Worst case, they are all practice and become attractive pot rests to protect the counter tops. :D
I make more cutting boards after these practice boards...
... And hopefully I learned something. At least i'm not stuck in the recliner until my surgery.
;)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am

I worked in the shop yesterday, planing the four cutting boards, then treating a couple knots in a couple of the cutting boards with the CT glue to seal them and sanding between treatments.
I sanded the four boards with 120 grit sand paper, and hit them each time I went out to retreat the knots with the CT. The glue settles and shrinks, and you refill the holes. Hit them again first thing this morning and they looked great. After a break, I'll route the edges and cut the finger slots for lifting, and then sand at 220 and 320 and then do the mineral oil thing.

Cutting Board One Sanded to 120:

30 one sanded to 120.jpg
30 one sanded to 120.jpg (188.01 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Cutting Board Two sanded to 120:

31 two sanded to 120.jpg
31 two sanded to 120.jpg (177.58 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Cutting Board Three sanded to 120:

32 three sanded to 120.jpg
32 three sanded to 120.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Cutting Board Four sanded to 120:

33 four sanded to 120.jpg
33 four sanded to 120.jpg (216.97 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Three is Miss T's fav and will be her choice if I don't make another that she likes better between now and the time I ship the boards to Oklahoma and Texas and deliver the boards to Henrico. I will keep working since there were things I learned making these four that I will do better the next time out. I consider these boards practice runs and if the next group turn out better... I won't feel bad at all about the time invested. A learning curve. :)

Miss Tina brought Fiona to see me in the shop, she wanted to show off her new dress Tina made her from an old pair of Denim shorts from the rag barrel.

30a fionas new dress.jpg
30a fionas new dress.jpg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Fiona just had her Spay surgery and four baby teeth surgically removed. She is awful happy for a surgical recovery dog. The dress will keep her from licking better than the cone of shame.
;) She hated the cone of shame and the look.... :? ... if looks could kill. :P
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:28 am

The boards look great Jim!
Glad you had some help out there from that adorable little Fiona. Nice work by Miss-T also!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Looking good!
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234