Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post by csgrv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 am

The local CAS group by me has a "kids" group that shoot .22 pistol and rifle and 410 scatter guns. I would suspect the Kids group is to bring in "new blood".
IMHO part of the reason the "regulars" use the big bore is due to the "re-enacting" of the wild west. There were not to many that carried 22 as a main sidearm at that time.
1 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector

Liberty
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post by Liberty » Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 am

I certainly wouldn't expect to compete in SASS or CAS with a 22 against larger calibers. That would be an unfair advantage.
I just happen to enjoy 22s and they're more economical. I do believe using 22s would help bring in "new blood" to the sport.
I used to trap shoot. At my club, the sport seems to be dwindling and mostly older men in their 60s and 70s make up the club. Younger or new folks aren't being brought into the fold. I fear the club will eventually die because of the advanced age of it's members.

I think I would enjoy the cowboy atmosphere, but cannot afford to shoot larger calibers. I would like an adult 22 class added to SASS/CAS.
1 x
You learn very little the second time you get kicked by a horse.

I love my Henry Silver Eagle H004SEM!