Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Music stuff --- PT7's Nostalgia Thots

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Music stuff --- PT7's Nostalgia Thots

Post by PT7 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

If I recall, I think I shared a Forum thread quite a while ago about my younger years when I played keyboard with my combo in Chicago. I enjoyed Ranch Roper's thread ("Music Stuff") about his playing bass and guitar. It really hit home when he wrote about how much he missed his band work from years ago. I also miss the great music and fun I had playing in the Windy City. Our combo was named the "Embers." I played keyboard, my brother played both 6-string and 12-string guitars, and our trio was completed with our drummer.

However, the keyboard is not what most Folk would think as it is talked about today. I'm an accordionist. My first "box" was an Italian-made Zon-Rio. Then for the 8 years I played semi-professionally in Chicago, I had two electronic systems. The first was an old-style, tube-powered Cordovox (accordion and organ combination). Second electronic system was a Farfisa Transivox with a preamp and an 860 Leslie Echo Chamber. It was a "triple" instrument: accordion, full organ/bass, and auto drum system. A quite heavy set-up to handle, but with great sounds.

Here is a photo of my full-sized Farfisa, 120-bass accordion.
Farfisa Transivox.jpg
Farfisa Transivox.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Both electronic systems have faded away. They were highly-used, but no longer repairable as the electronics became outdated. Today, I have returned to playing an acoustic accordion, and got my Beltuna-Tyrolean a few years ago. There are some unique characteristics in the choice I made. The Tyrolean is a pared-down standard keyboard accordion. But rather than having a 120-bass left hand, it has a 72-bass left hand. The right hand keyboard is also "shortened" by four keys. Interesting to play. But the "box" itself is much lighter to handle, and the deep bass is especially strong on this accordion.

My current acoustic "box," an Italian-made Tyrolean.
BeltunaTyrolean.jpg
BeltunaTyrolean.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Beltuna Tyrolean2.jpg
Beltuna Tyrolean2.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
I still play, but not as much as I did prior to my wife's passing. That was due to my own health issues, and dealing with that huge change in my life style, too. But RR's thread has made me seriously think about getting the keys moving again. Yup, music is great fun and enjoyment!
PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Just spent the last couple of hours practicing my bass & guitar......I only have a few guitars left now...….I miss playing in my band years ago...played bass for 50's and 60's cover band......both Epiphones are real sweet to play.
1 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Music stuff --- PT7's Nostalgia Thots

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 am

Play it!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C