Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Building a Fly Rod

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Building a Fly Rod

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am

Several Years Ago, thru a program at the VA Hospital, I was invited to build a fly rod. The program coordinator asked me to participate since I was a Service Connected Vet and they had one more slot open, and Miss Tina and I had been teaching Fly Tying and Fly Casting for the past few years. He knew that I would build the rod and FINISH the project. ;) Why not, I told him. I didn't need a rod, but I would enjoy the project.

We had a month, four sessions, and we would learn a few steps in each session and then were expected to complete much of the work on our own. Sad to say, many of the guys were a bit slow to work on the rods, but no matter, Miss T and I both decided to build one. I used the kit I was given, but upgraded a couple items, SHE ordered a kit in advance and was right there with me. SHE had already built a couple bamboo rods, so she knew how things were going to work. She assisted the instructor in the teaching, helping the slower guys. She did NOT however, build any of the rods FOR them... they would think they were being slick, acting like they didn't know how to do the wraps. Tina would complete a wrap, then give 'em a yank and zip... off it came. :lol: "It's supposed to be YOUR rod hon... " she'd tell them. "When you tell all your friends you built it... you will have built it." :)

When my rod was done, and had been inspected and given back. I put it in a rod sleeve, and took it over to show it to the Physical Therapist who had handled my recovery for the Shoulder Surgery and my latest Knee Revision. He was a great guy and everyone loved him. They all called him Doctor Dick, even though he wasn't a Doctor. His name was Richard, and he had forty years as a therapist, with a Master's Degree, Heck, even the Orthopedic Surgeons called him doc. :lol: He was a fixture around the VA PT lab, wandering around the equipment with the ever present towel tossed casually over his shoulder, quick to pass it to a patient and grab a fresh towel.

I spent a lot of time on the rod, got the wraps just right and upgraded the reel seat to a nice wood.
The green and gold before epoxy.jpg
The green and gold before epoxy.jpg (153.47 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
jims build.jpg
jims build.jpg (157.94 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
I put a 4wt reel on the rod and made sure it would cast well. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a pretty face. While doing my PT thru two long periods of three sessions a week for months with each surgery, I had come to know Dick well. He had two passions, his patients, and tournament fishing. We had given him several of the flies we tied and he had caught dozens of fish on them... I had a surprise for Dick.

After he had admired the rod, and told me that I did a great job on it... I told him it was HIS to keep. I had plenty of fly rods, and I knew he could use it. I didn't "need" it. ;)

"It's YOURS," he said, "The first one you built for yourself." :o

"It was always yours," I told him, "from the minute I told John I would come to the class." 8-)

Dick had told us he was going to retire, and now he could enjoy the rod. :lol:
I missed him the last time I went to PT following a flare up of scar tissue. The other folks do a good job, but they aren't Dr. Dick. :?
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Building a Fly Rod

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 am

Another great story, Marine. Thanks for sharing so much about so much in so short an essay. It's always a pleasure to read your writing. The pics are a welcomed bonus.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 am

When Dick retired, it was a huge loss to the PT clinic. But, I'm happy to say, there are a couple therapists who have stepped into the gap, and are coming along nicely. ;) "Doc" set a fine example and these two aren't there yet, but are certainly following his lead. 8-)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

Wonderful story and what a great gift! Back in the day, I used to build my own fly rods, too, mostly as something to calm my nerves and relax a bit after the kids were put in bed. It really is a nice way to relax.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

Tina built me a bamboo rod as a Father's day, birthday, anniversary, Christmas, Father's day present. :roll:
Ah, yeah, it took a year for her to git 'er done. :) She got the first one almost half way done, and the phone rang. She got up to answer the phone and sat the partially finished section of wrapped rod on the chair behind her and went over and picked up the phone, came back and plopped tiredly in the chair at the desk and CRUNCH... :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Oops... the language! :o

So, she cut all the guides off the rod and ... started over. :lol: Gotta admire a woman who didn't just chunk the whole idea. She called the first one... practice. 8-)

She took her time, and made the new rod worth waiting for. I fished it for the first time at the Fly Fishing Festival in Waynesboro that year. To say the rod is a slow cast, is an understatement. You can eat a sammich while it loads on the back cast... but it's a beautiful rod and the love that went into the build shows. I still fish it now and then, but mostly I just admire it... I wouldn't want anything to happen to it. Some things ARE priceless. ;)
jims bamboo agate c.jpg
jims bamboo agate c.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Jims 6wt.jpg
Jims 6wt.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Jims 6wt 3.jpg
Jims 6wt 3.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
JIms 6wt 2.jpg
JIms 6wt 2.jpg (93.69 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
1 x