Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Handle...

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A Handle...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am

I needed a break from the woodshop, and there was something I had been thinking of working on for the last month or so. I needed a handle for a project I completed a good while ago and the one I ordered was too small so I didn't install it. Now that I have been attempting to do some leather work, I should give it a shot huh?

Here is the original handle. Beautiful Rich Leather.
01 original too small.jpg
01 original too small.jpg (234.77 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
Sad part is, that it's too dang short. My fat hands are too wide to fit in the dang thing and pick up the item it's made to fit. :cry:
As you can see in the picture, I am adding about two inches to the length. That should accommodate my fat (wide) hands.

This tool is called a stitching groover. As the name suggests, a couple passes will cut a groove the stitches sit down in when you stitch the project.
Stitching on this project are for looks and to make the edges stronger. We aren't stitching anything together.
02 stitching groover.jpg
02 stitching groover.jpg (243.82 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
Once the project has been cut out, I decided to add some class with a stamped decorative pattern. I bought the dang things after all, may as well use them. I'll try this pattern out. This may turn out to be a practice piece anyway. Fit, finish, and design can all change, since this is from the scrap leather bag. There is more where this came from and I can always use the practice.
03 Stamps.jpg
03 Stamps.jpg (270.21 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
A few months ago, I made a stitching pony. Now the handle gets to ride it, while I stitch it. The pony holds the leather while you stitch it. The one thing I will do tomorrow is add a couple magnets to hold the needles high on the pony when you are doing other things, it would be very handy. I have several in the shop and it would be easy to do. Would make things REALLY easier.
04 stitching pony ride.jpg
04 stitching pony ride.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
I burnished the edges before I stitched it, and now the bad boy is stitched and burnished. The burnishing seals the edges against dirt and water and makes the handle stronger.
05 Stitched  and burnished.jpg
05 Stitched and burnished.jpg (286.02 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
After stitched, stamped, burnished... it's time to dye that sucker, then add mink oil to keep it flexible and waterproof.
06 dyed.jpg
06 dyed.jpg (302.67 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
This isn't perfect... I could do a few things better and I think a little lighter stain would allow the stamped pattern to show through much nicer. I'll probably redo the handle tonight. What do you guys think? Go with this attempt, or give it another shot. Hey, it passes the time.

What? What is the handle FOR?

This guy.....
and it closes.jpg
and it closes.jpg (271.47 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
It's done.jpg
It's done.jpg (256.36 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Handle...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I did get out to the shop this morning and make the mod to the Stitching / Lacing pony. I let the magnets sit a bit proud intentionally, so that it will be easier to grab the needles.
magnet inset for needle hold.jpg
magnet inset for needle hold.jpg (263.9 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
As you can see, the magnet will hold the needle and thread exactly where and how you place it. A problem the old way, when you let it dangle, when the thread started to get short, the weight of the needle would cause it to fall off the thread and get lost in the carpet, bounce under things, or worse. This had secondary problems such as inappropriate language or wasted time. Old Grumpy Marines don't have time to waste, who knows how much we have left. :lol:
hold in use.jpg
hold in use.jpg (294.68 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
Here is a peek at the actual bracket that will hold the handle in place. The screw will come from inside the gun case and screw into the bracket. I show it on both the old and new leather, and as you can see, the un-dyed stitching looks much better, at least in my opinion. I'll wait until I have dyed the NEW handle to stitch it up. Yup, I'll cut a new one and do 'er up this evening. Meh... nothing else to do in the evenings unless I want to watch movies or tv... What's the fun in that?
bracket on new handle.jpg
bracket on new handle.jpg (319.01 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
bracket on old handle.jpg
bracket on old handle.jpg (274.39 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
I may go with a new shape/style handle, and new stamped or carved design for the pattern on the leather. You never know. Watch this space... ;)
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I took that second try at the handle. A new style (shape) to the leather portion and a new design to the decoration. This design is called the "Running W" or "Carlos" border... I like it a lot.
Second Try.jpg
Second Try.jpg (128.89 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
I haven't done the stitching yet, will wait for the dye to dry. Once I get the stitching done, I'll add the Mink Oil and see how it turns out. If it's a looker, I'll consider adding it to the gun case. Since the gun case doesn't get used and is just for display... :roll: ... it's academic.

I never advertised it.... too much work went into it for me to give it away... and locally.. no one would offer a fair price. LOL.
:lol:

Many of YOU know exactly what work went into that case... you watched me build it. ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm

If this doesn't satisfy when it's done... I may even give it a third go... :lol:
I have a bag full of scraps for practice, and it's enjoyable to experiment with the techniques, and I learn something each time.
The third time I'd carve oak leaves and acorns. 8-)
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I like your second handle best, the one with the crescents and stars.

That is a beautiful box, I wish I had your woodworking skills.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:08 am

I like the first one better also. Great job. Wish I could do stuff like that.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks guys, i'll probably redo the first style then, with more care during the layout, cutting out, and of course, stitching after the dying stage of the project. I also noted that the stitching was done proud on the original piece, rather than recessed in the normal groove. The groove normally protects the stitching in hard wear areas. Placing it proud draws attention, accenting it more, a good thing when the stitching is mostly a decorative touch.
0 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:57 am

Wow that's really nice. Great work!!!!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am

You are a multi-talented man! Glad this thread was revived. Would love to see some pics (!) of where this project ended up. That rifle case is amazing and the hand-made leather handle is just icing on the cake. Very impressive!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 am

I got caught up in other things, boxes... a funeral flag box for a vet, a humidor, life...
Never got around to making the final pass at the handle since the case probably won't get used.
Right now all my leather working gear is packed since they just finished the hardwood floor project.
We will unpack in a few weeks when we decide where to set up the leather bench. I may... may design a dedicated leather working bench.
1 x