Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Model Airplane Engines

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Danwin22
Cowhand
United States of America

Model Airplane Engines

Post by Danwin22 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:17 am

I discovered Model Engines in 1951 and have owned hundreds of them over the years.

In the mid-90's I met an engine maker from Sweden, Arne Hende', who was making half-sized replicas of famous engines.

I bought several and was amazed at their jewel-like quality. Arne was delivering them in simple plain-looking white cardboard boxes did not do them justice so I toyed with the idea of a display box that would allow them to be seen but not exposed to dust or handling mishaps.

After designing a folding insert to fit a Baseball-card clear plastic box I sent a few off to Sweden. Roughly a week later Arne called me and asked if I could make a hundred of several engines and he would bring over bags of engines which we would box up for a big show I Toledo.

Here are a few engines that Arne made after asking me what to build for future projects.

https://pix.sfly.com/hWsOXG
4 x
USAF 1958-62, NRA Member, CWP

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Model Airplane Engines

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Those are really cool, but they bring back memories....

I flew a couple model planes when I was a kid, with the small 409 (?) engines on them. You had a glow plug and spun the engine with a spring on the prop. All my planes were flown with the hand held elevator control and the "pilot" spun around in a continuous circle until you got dizzy enough to land the dang thing. :P I had a large underwing model that was very slow due to the weight, and was easy to fly... but the main components of the plane were held together with large rubber bands. Hard landing? Crash? Fell apart... but no damage. Pocket full of rubber bands, and it was back together in a couple minutes. ;)

I got cocky after six months or so, saved up my money and bought a piper cub half the size but it used the same engine. This pup glued together and was fast and agile. They recommended a certain length on the guide lines to keep you from spinning too fast, but it make the corrections lag. :roll: I didn't have a lot of luck with the dang thing and after a couple crashes, and some half successful repairs with superglue... it wasn't as fast or as agile. A couple more crashes and I salvaged the engine to use on a large wooden plane I built, heavy, slow, and STABLE. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Danwin22
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Danwin22 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi Marine, I think you mean .049 which is a popular size for small engines. Cox and OK Cub were the biggest sellers.

Here are a few others that were popular.
https://pix.sfly.com/hQXRwO

https://pix.sfly.com/Bnbp_b
1 x
USAF 1958-62, NRA Member, CWP

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm

That's the one... :D
I was nine or ten... so fifty years ago.
But I still loved it.
:P
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:50 am

I build and fly radio control planes. I have 5 that are ready to fly at almost any time. Two use a .61 glow fuel and 3 are gas powered. 2 26cc and 1 20cc.

Jim
0 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I used to build and fly R/C planes, I built a Sig Kadet senior with a .40 Saito, A Stinger aerobatic plane with a Super Tigre .90, lots of little .20/.25 size sport scales, a Steerman bipe with a Saito .80 and a few scratch built old timers.
It became too time consuming with the job I had at the time and I finally stopped about 20 years ago.
Great hobby if you have the time, space and money to do it.
As a kid I bought, flew and finally crashed every .049 U control Cox plane they ever sold, I think. I even had the prop driven tether car and a UFO thing. I love the smell of burning castor oil in the summer time. :mrgreen:
1 x

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 pm

here are a couple of what I fly.
SANY0014.JPG
SANY0014.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 5414 times
P-51-11.JPG
P-51-11.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 5414 times
5 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:38 am

Those are both beautiful airplanes. Nice job!
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 am

I remember the Ba-Bee .049 and the "trainer" airplane from the same company. About half the time it would start backwards, and being a kid we never noticed until we released it. The darn thing would fly backwards for about 7 or 8 minutes then run out of fuel.

I went to Navy "A" school in Memphis - we had a model shop and people would get their orders out and leave partly built models behind. We turned them into franken-planes and flew the heck out of them.

Then we got real planes, on big flat boats, and it was less fun (but that's a different story).

M
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:47 pm

I love that P51! Looks awesome.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234