Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Husky Does Rock...

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Husky Does Rock...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:30 pm

Handloader's post was spot on. We had purchased a few of the Husky tables to use in the two shops and liked them a lot. Then Miss T decided she needed the BIG Husky box on sale for her cutting table and storage. She gave me her two tables to add to the three I already had. I rearranged the shop and created an island in the center, with a leather side, and a knife side. If I need the extra space for woodworking, I clean off the two tables facing without the leather tool shelf mounted, and use that as a work space. So far I am making do. ;)

Here is Miss T's cutting Box:

New Work Bench 230804.jpg
New Work Bench 230804.jpg (393 KiB) Viewed 477 times

This is the shelf I made for the leather working tools. The tilted 4x4 makes it easy to see the stamps. The slots above make it easy to find the wooden handled tools that won't go into the holes in the 4x4. The drawers in the table hold various tools I don't want out, like the punches, compass, rulers and templates. Space for extra blades, rouge, etc. In a video on youtube I saw someone had added a crossbar to their rack and I thought it was a great idea. I did the same. Paper towels, spools of lace and tread, right at hand. :lol:

32 add paper towel holder.jpg
32 add paper towel holder.jpg (534.2 KiB) Viewed 477 times
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Husky Does Rock...

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:38 pm

Agree Husky does rock. I recently bought one of their workbenches and I’m in the process of setting it up. I was going great on the project until my knee went south and that was followed by the sub zero temps. I’ll probably get back to it this weekend when it warms up. It’s the heavy duty 6’ x 24” bench with adjustable legs. Has a very nice butcher block top, so nice that I covered it with a length of tool chest drawer liner. I fuel and oil chainsaws on it plus other greasy stuff and I want to keep the top somewhat nice.

I don’t have a picture of it but will post one when I’m done setting it up. Here’s the big mess it replaced.

IMG_4545.jpeg
IMG_4545.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 468 times
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 pm

I got out to the shop, in spite of the temps in the teens, and took some pics of the setup. The smaller four foot table against the wall is for the 1x24 belt sander for shaping the knife handles. It does a great job on final shaping, and polishing, running up to 1,000 grit.

aa small table.jpg
aa small table.jpg (420.58 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Behind the leather tables, I have the two knife work tables. The one on the right side is the assembly and layout table, where most of the work is done, including glue ups and hand sanding and polishing. That table on the right is where the rough sanding and thanks to the recent addition of the table top drill press, some drilling can be done. (That drill press is also used in my leatherwork, for drilling holes for hand sewing.) You can turn around from this set and be facing that small table with the 1x24 sander on it. Note that the height of the tables is adjustable. I had been using the drill press so I cranked the left table down a bit to give myself a better field of view. The others are set for use from my "chair" to allow me to wheel under the table and set the brakes. :lol:

aa knife tables.jpg
aa knife tables.jpg (407.88 KiB) Viewed 456 times

The leather tables are backed up to the knife tables. You have a layout, and cutting table on the right, and the tooling and work table on the left. I spend a lot of time at these tables when my back and leg are acting up because leatherwork I can do sitting down. ;)

aa leather tables.jpg
aa leather tables.jpg (412.86 KiB) Viewed 456 times

This long view shows the relationship of the four tables. Note the small table against the wall on the right, and the four tables squared up in the center of the room. On the back wall are the storage shelves for leather working parts and goodies, and the Cowboy 3200 machine I am slowly learning to use.

aa four tables.jpg
aa four tables.jpg (412.38 KiB) Viewed 456 times

A big woodworking project, like the spice cabinet for beside the stove, I clean off the two nearest tables and use them for woodwork, the contents of the tables get stored on the shelves against the walls, protected and out of the way.

60 oak and poplar front trim.jpg
60 oak and poplar front trim.jpg (332.71 KiB) Viewed 456 times

The paired tables allowed both of the thin cabinets to be assembled on a wide flat surface.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:34 pm

One of my Husky's is my reloading bench in a peninsula setup. Reloading is done from the backside so as to keep powder residue and spent primer mess from getting into the drawers on the other side.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:30 pm
Handloader's post was spot on. We had purchased a few of the Husky tables to use in the two shops and liked them a lot. Then Miss T decided she needed the BIG Husky box on sale for her cutting table and storage. She gave me her two tables to add to the three I already had. I rearranged the shop and created an island in the center, with a leather side, and a knife side. If I need the extra space for woodworking, I clean off the two tables facing without the leather tool shelf mounted, and use that as a work space. So far I am making do. ;)

Here is Miss T's cutting Box:

New Work Bench 230804.jpg

This is the shelf I made for the leather working tools. The tilted 4x4 makes it easy to see the stamps. The slots above make it easy to find the wooden handled tools that won't go into the holes in the 4x4. The drawers in the table hold various tools I don't want out, like the punches, compass, rulers and templates. Space for extra blades, rouge, etc. In a video on youtube I saw someone had added a crossbar to their rack and I thought it was a great idea. I did the same. Paper towels, spools of lace and tread, right at hand. :lol:

32 add paper towel holder.jpg
More Huskys in the garage and see what I mean about more.
Attachments
garage2.jpg
garage2.jpg (697.78 KiB) Viewed 452 times
garage.jpg
garage.jpg (832.95 KiB) Viewed 452 times
1 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:12 pm

Ive got a Husky in my basement I bought about 5 years ago and it does rock. I really like it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:11 pm

I try and get out into the shop as often as I can. Once or twice a day if possible. I worked on these two practice pieces over the last two days, trying to recover some tooling skill. One is a basketweave pattern that is CUT, not stamped. I like the results. This is the third attempt and looks much better than the first two.

The second is a heart pattern cut with an H shaped tool also used for a Serpentine Border pattern. I made my granddaughter a pouch with this pattern, she loved it. That practice pattern is far from perfect, but is the first attempt in a couple years, trying to relearn the technique, in case someone wants a knife pouch / sheath for their wife or daughter.

I use leftover scraps or failed attempts at other projects for practice, that way the leather doesn't go to waste. The practice panels improve skills and pass the time between projects or while glue / stains / paints dry. :D

practice pieces.jpg
practice pieces.jpg (345.01 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Granddaughter's Pouch, she uses it like a mini purse to carry her Phone, ID, and Money when she goes out. The size was determined by her IPhone 11.

45  It's done.jpg
45 It's done.jpg (474.49 KiB) Viewed 425 times

I made my daughter a pouch first, in basket weave, for her phone and epipens she has to carry everywhere. I also made a custom shoulder strap to go with it.... This is the dressy version, if she is going somewhere classy.

20 second view.jpg
20 second view.jpg (532.6 KiB) Viewed 425 times
10 sewn on.jpg
10 sewn on.jpg (481.57 KiB) Viewed 425 times

The daily version is Red, to replace the cloth version she kept wearing out.

35 old and new.jpg
35 old and new.jpg (663.42 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:15 pm

At the top of the first pic, you'll see a 2x6 block cut out. It has various size holes cut in it. They hold the paint/stain bottles if I am painting/staining from the bottles, or there are slots cut to hold those Pill cups you get at the docs. I'll mix paint in those, or pour stains, oils, etc in the cups and drop them in the slots. I only had to spill ONCE and ruin a panel to come up with that block and use it every time.

The other trick? I save all the lids from Yogurt Cups, Cottage Cheese Containers, etc. Pour a quarter size dab of paint in the top, paint from that. Pour four or five different colors if you need to. Clean up is easy. When it doesn't clean up, toss it and move to the next. Great pallet for mixing paints.
1 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:33 am

Very, very nice great work. I have been working on another sling to match a previous work and will post when done. I made a burnisher for my drill press on my wood lather. It works great makes burnishing quick and easy. Also, working on one that is tapered to get in the smaller curves.
Attachments
burn.jpg
burn.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 418 times
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)