Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

USA made tools

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: USA made tools

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:49 am

I've bought many of my Craftsman tools at the Flea Market. The nice thing is that they "were" guaranteed for life. Since Sears has gone out, I don't believe they are guaranteed anymore. Even though many places are still selling them.
1 x
NRA Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:30 am

I have mostly Craftsman tools from the 90's until they started to not be made in the US of A. I found the guarantee almost unneccessary as they have lasted very well. I can count on one hand how many Craftsman tool exchanges I had to make (when you could).
I have also purchased some tools at Harbor Freight. They are the secondary tools for things like camp and barn. I have since re-thought that strategy because when I needed to use them in a difficult application, I have found some of them coming up a little short.
My new thought process is USA made John Deere tools. They get pricey.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:46 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:50 pm

Do you ever watch the Woodwright's Shop? Amazing how many different tools they used to use. Here's a whole episode on beading planes.

https://www.pbs.org/video/the-venerable-bead-rvo9nq/
Yes, I am quite familiar with "Saint Roy". He is both entertaining and educational. I don't have any beading planes, despite the fact that wooden beading and moulding planes were common and often inexpensive items at a lot of the fleas. I really never had a use for them, and was a little intimidated at sharpening them. I do have a (hand) router plane that does a good job with some applications.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:59 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:30 am
I have mostly Craftsman tools from the 90's until they started to not be made in the US of A. I found the guarantee almost unneccessary as they have lasted very well. I can count on one hand how many Craftsman tool exchanges I had to make (when you could).
Same here Dave. In over 50 years of collecting tools, mostly Craftsman, I have returned very few all through the years. But a few are showing their wear now and I asked at Lowes, who now sell them too, and was told no more guarantee. But I'm going to give it another try somewhere just to verify that.
0 x
NRA Member

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:41 pm

I got an older craftsman socket wrench replaced at Lowes a couple of months ago. Maybe they won't replace the new tools.
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:57 pm

I bought a 1/2 in drive Craftsman socket set when I was in high school, probably 1971. At some point the ratchet stopped working properly. I quit using it for a while and then one day decided to see if I could get it repaired. I went to a local Sears, they were still open at that time, and they wanted to exchange it for a rebuilt one. I said, "No, it's got sentimental value since I'd had it so long.". He said they had some repair kits for the ratchet mechanism. He found one that fit that model, and I said I could install it myself. Got it back up and running.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:12 am

I thought this lawsuit about Craftsman fraud might interest people.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/ ... tsman.html
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:33 am

Yesterday I needed to pull the water heater anode rod out to drain the tank in the rv. I grabbed the 1/2” ratchet I always use which is a craftsman and yep, made in the USA. I have lots of craftsman tools and have had them for many years so I expect they are all USA made. I have a small 4” bench vise from craftsman and it too says made in the USA.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:38 pm

This website will tell you when and where your Craftsman tool was made. Fascinating reading if you like Craftsman.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... ges.84807/
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:27 am

I bought a few Craftsman V,VV, and G code 1/2” drive sockets and ratchet/breaker/spinner tools. The sockets go up to 1-1/2” and 32mm. The Channels locks and other tools I’ve had.
C85A0DD6-FEE4-491B-A092-87F477D5BCCE.jpeg
C85A0DD6-FEE4-491B-A092-87F477D5BCCE.jpeg (5.52 MiB) Viewed 1369 times
These weren’t a super bargain but still a good deal.
0 x