Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Looking for a quality Golden Retriever Breeder

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Looking for a quality Golden Retriever Breeder

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:57 am

Hi all,

We recently lost our Golden Retriever to old age and would like to start the process to get a new puppy. My wife has been looking online at breeders and has sent two inquiries out and she has had zero response. Does anybody here know a quality breeder that she should contact? Location in the west would be preferred but that is not a limiting factor.

Thank you for any suggestions, she’s dealing well with her grief but finding a new puppy even if it’s next year will help considerably.

Mike
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Looking for a quality Golden Retriever Breeder

Post by PJM » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:54 am

Sorry for your loss. I know of quality breeders but they are in the northeast. Our experience is more in the lab world. Beware of on-line breeders which can be nothing more than disguised puppy mills. Visit them if possible to see their facilities. AKC registry doesn't mean as much as it used to in-terms of quality. Ask about medical tests/clearances of parents e.g hips eyes and elbows. How old were the Parents? Do they guarantee health of pups for a period of time? Ask about the puppy socialization process. Were they raised in the house or in a kennel environment? I have queried on line breeders with prices ranging in price from $600 and up. Be prepared to compare pups to a breeder charging 4 times that much. You may want to look at retriever rescue groups. The only negative is that you won't get to socialize them as they grow, as most are older. Best of luck in your search.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:06 am

As an example of a high quality golden breeder in the Northeast, search Starquest Goldens in Goffstown NH. I have seen several of her Pups and watched them mature into beautiful well mannered adults. For labs, check out Times Square Labs in Francestown NH. Their websites exemplify what good breeders strive for and services they provide for. Good info and good people.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:31 am

PJM,

My wife found a breeder in Utah yesterday that hits all the points you mentioned in your first post. This breeder also had genetic information which my wife has been studying carefully. She has also seen examples of exactly what you mention in regards to puppy mill type of breeders. Another plus for this breeder is when my wife called her she answered the phone and was happy to converse as long as needed. Now, with my wife this can be a considerable amount of time. :lol: we still haven’t had a response from the two contacted over a week ago.

Anyway, she was very pleased with all the info garnered via the website, online reviews and her phone conversion so we sent a deposit for a pup from a liter planned for this spring. Perfect timing for us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your information and experiences with me.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:34 am

Best of luck with your pup!
0 x