Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trade them or Drive them.

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Trade them or Drive them.

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:26 pm

I thought about this on the way to work this am. Just curious what others might do. So I thought I would post this question to others. Do you keep youre vehicles for a long time or trade them often. I have a mixture of both. But Im getting ready to downsize my fleet as I don't need all these vehicles headed into retirement.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Trade them or Drive them.

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:26 pm
I thought about this on the way to work this am. Just curious what others might do. So I thought I would post this question to others. Do you keep youre vehicles for a long time or trade them often. I have a mixture of both. But Im getting ready to downsize my fleet as I don't need all these vehicles headed into retirement.
We don't believe in buying new Al. We put very few miles on them per year. Don't want the big hit one takes regarding value once you drive a new one off the lot. We love our Toyota 4-Runners. Both the wife and I have one. They are the same year and model.
We will be letting go of the other two vehicles we own for the same reasons as you. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:08 pm

When I was working for the state, I drove 110 miles per day round trip to get to HQ, so I bought my vehicles new and did the maintenance on them. Never had a breakdown. I put two hundred, to two hundred and fifty thousand miles on them, then upgraded. My daily drivers the last ten years had all been midsized trucks, and they had treated me right. We also added the full sized 2010 Titan and have put about 70k miles on it. The last new vehicle upgrade was to the 2015 Frontier, so we have both a Titan and Frontier. We are covered.

We don't plan on trading up again, just maintaining the trucks, and they should outlast us both. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:21 pm

I bought both of my vehicles new when my wife was alive and we needed two vehicles. I drive a 2008 Mercury Sedan and a 2006 Chevy Colorado truck; the truck was hers. The sedan now has 103k miles and the truck only has 53k miles. They have always been maintained and I don't put more than a couple of thousand miles per year on both of them combined. Like BoM, I don't expect I'll be buying a newer version of either of them.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:09 pm

We rarely buy replacements. When we do, we look for a good used/certified. Prior vehicles we drove until it was time to replace them. Donated them to auto/shop class at a local high school.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm

we generally buy new vehicles to meet a given need .... example with my wife's family being 1,600 miles away, we are compelled to keep at least one 4-wheel drive vehicle capable of cranking at a moment's notice and make the drive form central NC to east central SD .... we tend to keep them until we no longer have the need or until they begin giving more trouble than we are willing to put up with .... we currently own and drive 5 vehicles ....

an inherited 2000 Buick Park Avenue that is daily driver for our daughter and spare vehicle for us

a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer .... our round town vehicle + first choice to drive in city traffic and / or tight parking areas

a 2007 Sportchassis .... our tow vehicle and only one to drive when we are away from home

a 2011 Chevy Silverado that is my main vehicle when we are home

a 2016 Chevy Camaro .... my wife's main vehicle when we are home, may well be her last one

longest we've ever kept a vehicle, 24 years .... a 1978 Jeep J10 pickup that we sold in 2002

my next possible purchase will be a 2021 Chevy Silverado that will probably be the last vehicle I'm likely to buy
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 pm

IMO, I'ts always been cheaper to fix than replace. If someone just wants a change, then I understand.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 pm

I travelled extensively throughout my working career so I never left the wife to drive anything more than a couple or 3 years. She and the kids were always my first concern. I always drove some sort of junk or a hot rod or bike when I was home until 97 when I bought my first new 4x4 pickup. Kept it until 07 and went back to hot rods and bikes for me and still kept the wife in something new. Got my Jeep new in 14 and have been modding it ever since and intend to keep it from now on. Just bought the wife's last new car less than a year ago and we'll replace it in another year or 2.

Long story short, keep the Mrs. in something new no matter what you drive if for nothing more than peace of mind. It's more than worth the cost.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Most of my friends think I keep my vehicles to long. I have been driving my Tundra pickup for 15 years and still going strong with almost 190,000 miles. I have had my Chrysler 5th Avenue for going on 26 years and it seems like a part of the family I have had it so long.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:40 pm

My daily drive now is a car that was given my wife while she still owned the assisted living home. Lady gave it to her to drive her mother around. when she passed she told the wife to keep it. Its a good car. 2005 Pontiac Bonneville has the 3.8 V-6 in it. easy to work on and gets good mileage. Only has 132,000 on it no oil leaks and that engine is one of the best GM engines ever made. 2014 ford F-150 Lariat gonna sell it has 37000 miles on it just dont need 2 trucks with the 2006 Dodge Dually I have for pulling the 5th wheel. It only has 81000 on it and is like brand new. Its the Laramie edition. Wife has a 2016 Jeep Wrangler with 20K on it. She loves it. Im set I think Once I sell the Ford I dont think I will need another vehicle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55