Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trade them or Drive them.

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Trade them or Drive them.

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I don't want bells, whistles, vibrations or back up cameras. I can also put on the brakes and park myself without sensors. Heck, I don't even like anti-lock brakes which our 4-Runners DO have. I am the one in control of my vehicle and have been for decades. Personally, I will keep it that way. Sorry..not wanting to offend anybody...just different strokes for different folks.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:05 pm

[update: Oh ya forgot about the 1968 CJ5 Jeep I drove to and from college in. V6, manual transmission, 10 gal gas tank. Ran out of gas frequently. Carried to 5 gallon jerry cans on the rear rack either side of the spare tire. Kind of a pale split pea green.]

These are long gone. Longest kept, the Suburban. Worst, the 95 Windstar lemon. 2nd worst, the Bonneville. The Camry was the best of the bygone bunch. A family member needed an upgrade badly so they got the Camry. Newer vehicles (all used) we currently have are all Toyota make (Tundra, Prius, Lexus).
73 Mustang
74 Granada
75 GMC Suburban
83 Pontiac Bonneville
95 Windstar
2001 Camry
Last edited by Mags on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Yeah, I am one of those drive em til they give up the ghost people. My 95 Dakota has 302K and still impresses me. And, my love, a 1989 Honda Transalp. The truck is fading, the bike I will never give up.

I want a early 70's ford for my next dependable truck.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Well put Jim! ☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Best safety features, anti-lock brakes, anti-skid control and seat belts. Under appreciated until they save your bacon.
Cars with lots of mirror blind spots, backup camera is a must.
Most useless feature, the radio/media player. Never used.
Most annoying feature, parking assist alarm and indicators. Parking in the garage every alarm and indicators is clamoring for attention. So turned off.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Longest owned? Bubba Truck... A 1980 Ford F150 Camper Special 4x4. Dual gas tanks, heavy duty supension, straight six 300 engine, 4 speed tranny with granny 1st gear. It had 450,000 miles on it to go with the FarmTruck tags we were running when we sold it to a friend who was in need of it. I had a new small truck to drive the 110 mile round trip to work by then, but we had held on to Bubba for real farm use. Banging around hauling gravel, hay, firewood, etc.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Always buy good used, private party and run them till they are pretty well wore out. Always buy selectively, choosing a good quality car that will not only last, but run efficiently with very little repairs. Always buy US Made cars and always GM. We usually have at least two at a time, with my wife mostly using the better one. Once we get another one, I then take her's, lol. Been working out pretty well now for the last 35 years.
1 x
NRA Member

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 am

Wife's F350 2005 diesel has 350k miles on it. My 2010 F350 diesel has 208k miles on it. Drive 'em.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 am

All my other expenses of this amount or larger either retain or actually return a bit on my investment. I really hate the fact that as much as I spend on this necessity ends up depreciating so fast and so much. It's much more fun spending that kind of money on a toy and I don't view cars as toys. I actually have started determining how many more of these things I will actually have to purchase before my time on earth expires.

I just ended up paying a good bit of change repairing some items on my car. It's 9 years old but with low mileage for it's age. Unfortunately our roads stink so that certainly had an effect on the repairs that where necessary. When you drive on what they call a highway in my area and see 5 to 10 cars on the side of the road because of blown tires because of pot holes the highway could hardly be called a highway. The thing is the cost of repairs although more than average is still much less than payments would be for a new car in just a few months would be.

No, I try to drive and maintain a vehicle as long as possible. Money matters and I have many more things I would rather spend or save my money for. I won't drive a heap but I don't require a new car every year or every couple of years.

I now know more and more younger people who don't need and thus don't own a car. Personally I don't live in an area where this would be possible and I do love the freedom it affords but I do certainly envy them a bit because they can do without a car.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:11 am

If I didn't have to haul a trailer around, I like the look of the new Jeep pickup.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully