Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (black)

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (black)

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:29 am

I bit the bullet so to speak and drove home a new Outback yesterday. Well I did most of the driving; the car seems to almost be able to drive itself. If I sway out of my lane without the signals on it tells me, if I follow to close (which I never do) it tells me. But those are just two of the many things it does.

Right now it is just a stock car and I will need to install a hitch and 7-pin wiring with electric brakes. The people that are building my trailer recommended the Outback for towing and they are very familiar with it. They gave me specific part numbers to get and have installed. First is the factory 4-pin wiring. Then I get another specific part that allows the 4-pin to just plug into the back of it and I only have three wires to deal with. The first wire is to be able to charge the trailer battery, the second is for electric brakes and the third for backup lights.

No pictures yet but will be coming soon.
5 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (black)

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 pm

I drove the car home and it has sit in the garage since Monday. Today I put 120 miles on it by driving up to Steven's Pass. It averaged 27.2 mpg up the 4,000 foot pass and back.

A lot of the stuff I doubt I'll ever use although I tried a lot of stuff out. The best feature is the adaptive cruise control. If you are cruising at 55 mph and come upon a car going 53 mph it will slow down to keep a safe distance. Then when the car ahead speeds up you will too to the 55 mph set. This works in stop and go traffic also.

Not the best picture but here it is.
DSCN5603.JPG
DSCN5603.JPG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 4050 times
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Looks nice Gene. I test drove the bigger engine once and liked the power it had over the 2.5 but the wife didn't want another outback she wanted the forester. Therefore the reason I had one of those. It had a turbo engine in it which really ate up some highway when you woke up the turbo. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm

nice looking rig .... hope it will serve you well
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm

I like Subaru's. I'm keeping my Miata for now but it is getting harder to get in and out of the older I get. I would probably get one a little smaller than an Outback, like the CrossTrek or WRX. The BRZ looks interesting but is probably as low as my Miata and if I was getting a Subaru I would want all-wheel drive.

Would be nice to keep the Miata and get a Subaru too but I still occasionally need my pickup (older Ranger) and being single I can't justify or afford having 3 rigs.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:37 am

dave77 wrote:I like Subaru's. I'm keeping my Miata for now but it is getting harder to get in and out of the older I get. I would probably get one a little smaller than an Outback, like the CrossTrek or WRX. The BRZ looks interesting but is probably as low as my Miata and if I was getting a Subaru I would want all-wheel drive.

Would be nice to keep the Miata and get a Subaru too but I still occasionally need my pickup (older Ranger) and being single I can't justify or afford having 3 rigs.
I have four rigs -a 1970 F250, a 1987 Bronco II, a 2013 Transit Connect and now a 2017 Outback. I just realized this is my first non-Ford I've had in more and 20 years.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am

Sir Henry wrote:
dave77 wrote:I like Subaru's. I'm keeping my Miata for now but it is getting harder to get in and out of the older I get. I would probably get one a little smaller than an Outback, like the CrossTrek or WRX. The BRZ looks interesting but is probably as low as my Miata and if I was getting a Subaru I would want all-wheel drive.

I have four rigs -a 1970 F250, a 1987 Bronco II, a 2013 Transit Connect and now a 2017 Outback. I just realized this is my first non-Ford I've had in more and 20 years.
Well, there’s hope for you yet. :mrgreen:
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 am

Nice car Gene. The girl friend's Outback has all that electronic stuff too. My favorite feature is the lane departure prevention. It steers you back of you are going to veer out of lane. The adaptive cruise is a close second.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

daytime dave wrote:Nice car Gene. The girl friend's Outback has all that electronic stuff too. My favorite feature is the lane departure prevention. It steers you back of you are going to veer out of lane. The adaptive cruise is a close second.
The lane departure is okay. What I don't like about it is it doesn't always work. And if it doesn't always work then you can't depend on it. The adaptive cruise control almost always works and you can predict when it is not going to work like going around a city corner.

The main drivetrain of the car is what makes it desirable for me. The six-speed transmission actually works to have the effect of a continuous gear.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Yes, that drivetrain is hard for me to get used to. It is seemless. I'm one who senses when the tranny is about to pop up or down. I loose that sense in the Subaru. I hope you really enjoy it.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member