Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (black)

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (black)

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 pm

daytime dave wrote:Yes, that drivetrain is hard for me to get used to. It is seemless. I'm one who senses when the tranny is about to pop up or down. I loose that sense in the Subaru. I hope you really enjoy it.
It helps if you drive it by the RPM and not the acceleration or speed.

On a separate note the city gas mileage dropped to 22.3 mpg. That is my mpg goal pulling the trailer on the highway.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm

That is a beauty! Love the Outback in black, especially the touring with the brown leather interior. I also have a 2017, but I went a might cheaper with the 2.5 Premium. I do have a hitch for towing a small utility trailer and for a hitch basket for deer hunting. Here's mine alongside my Wife's Legacy

1 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am

I'm just now getting to the point where I can recognize a Subaru from different angles and from further and further away. I never really noticed them before and bought one on recommendation of the trailer builder. Plus I have friends that own them and have ridden in them a hundred times.

It just turned 300 miles and I will fill the tank up today for the first time.

The hitch install went as planned and it looks factory. The December 3rd trailer pickup date is approaching fast.
1 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Actually, I think your Subaru is in a continuous gear - it is equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). The six speed is only simulated by the CVT when you use the paddle shifters...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm

tractortad wrote:Actually, I think your Subaru is in a continuous gear - it is equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). The six speed is only simulated by the CVT when you use the paddle shifters...
I believe your correct, that is the way my 2.5 is. I never understood why they feel the need to simulate shifts. I'd be happier if it were just a smooth transition, but I guess some people like that feeling of shifting gears.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 pm

BigBlue wrote:
tractortad wrote:Actually, I think your Subaru is in a continuous gear - it is equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). The six speed is only simulated by the CVT when you use the paddle shifters...
I believe your correct, that is the way my 2.5 is. I never understood why they feel the need to simulate shifts. I'd be happier if it were just a smooth transition, but I guess some people like that feeling of shifting gears.
I will use it pulling a trailer over Steven's Pass. I want to be able to lock it into one speed and drive by the RPM. The 3.6R has enough power to pull it 60 mph over the pass but the manual says to limit the speed to 45mph over steep grades.
1 x

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 am

Sir Henry wrote:
BigBlue wrote:
I will use it pulling a trailer over Steven's Pass. I want to be able to lock it into one speed and drive by the RPM. The 3.6R has enough power to pull it 60 mph over the pass but the manual says to limit the speed to 45mph over steep grades.
I believe you can put it into manual mode by putting your shifter into drive and moving the shifter to the left and use the paddles to shift. That's the way my 2.5 is anyway.
The tires that came with my car were Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS and after a brief encounter with a 6" snow fall last season I decided to put Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 snow tires on it. I only have 4,000 miles so the original tires are still like new, but they weren't too good in snow.
I do love that Touring version of the Outback! It wasn't around yet when I bought mine and when I saw it I was sorry to have missed the opportunity. I was even tempted to trade mine for it, but I'd take a beating, both from the dealer and my wife! We bought a 2017 Suburu Crosstrek for our daughter in July and she loves it.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am

Yes I use the paddles just like yours. The Touring has everything I need to pull the trailer plus I like the looks of it.
0 x