Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I'm getting too old for this.

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

I'm getting too old for this.

Post by clovishound » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 pm

On my way home from work, night before last, the harmonic balancer on my beater Toyota became disharmonious. That's a new one on me. Never had one fail before. Pretty simple job with fairly easy access. I pulled the old one yesterday before work, and ordered the new one. By the time I got to work, I felt like I'd been beaten up. A few years ago, I wouldn't have noticed a thing. Doesn't auger well for bigger jobs I'm used to doing. I've always bought older vehicles for my back and forth to work cars. I've done all the maint myself. I'm beginning to rethink that paradigm.

Got the new one on today. That funny squeaking/ticking/squealing noise is gone. The serpentine belt now lines up on all the pulleys. The install was much quicker than the removal.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: I'm getting too old for this.

Post by dave77 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

I've been thinking that myself during the last few oil changes on my Miata, would only cost me around $30 plus my own oil to have it done by a good mechanic, I don't trust the quick lube places to do it.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm

I haven't figured out to work on a car in 20 years or more. The average new car today has 10 times the computer the old Space Shuttles had.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:42 pm

This is why we have kids. I have my boys do the maintenance on my truck. Oh what a relief it is
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Years ago I had a F150 with a 302 V8. Carburator. Single cab, bench seat, manual everything. Best truck I ever had.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 pm

I don't mind working on equipment when it's planned and under control.

A couple of days ago, I was dragging a large tree section that caught on a hose connected to the well head and pulled all the pvc off the well and pressure tank with the water rushing out, etc.

Last time I repaired it myself, about 5 years ago. This time, call the well guy even though I could have done it.

I just couldn't deal with it this time, call it age..............
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Doing my own maintenance on the garden tractors and farm tractors just came with the job. I have a mechanic I''ve used for almost thirty years. He's in poor health and his sons are taking up the slack. I have been thinking of doing my own oil changes on my new truck.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 pm

I still do mine only because I have a pit at work I can walk underneath and not lay on the concrete. Somehow at 65 I just dont care for laying on the concrete anymore like I would 20 years ago. Dave that oil change on those new Fords isnt hard but do yourself a favor and use the cap type oil filter wrench. Getting to that filter will make you wonder who thought of this. Also I usually run my front wheels up on a 2x4 as the oil from the filter will only run out of the underside in one place that way. Dont ask me how I know. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 pm

At 65, I am finding a lot of things like that. Resealed my asphalt driveway this summer. I told my wife this is the last time I am going to do that. The stuff is supposed to be good for seven years. At 72, I will either not be in this house, not be on this earth, or I am going to hire someone to do it!
4 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 am

I did a lot of our maintenance. Box full of tools, timing lights. The little festiva we had, I even changed the timing belt every 80k miles. The car was still getting 45mpg when that big lovesick buck committed suicide by leaping in front of the dang thing and totaled it. These days, i'd rather pay my Guys to do it. They have the heated and air conditioned bays, the expensive computerized equipment, and the young still flexible bodies. ;)

I sit in the waiting room, and read.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.