Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not Grandpaps Willys

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Not Grandpaps Willys

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:50 pm

I went to the drag strip yesterday with my wife. Beautiful day and we found a nice shady spot with full view down both lanes of the track. It was a pretty good bunch of cars and one class is called the "quick sixteen". The sixteen quickest qualifiers get in the show and the others have to move to another class. The bump spot ended up at 5.58 seconds in the 1/8 mile. The fastest cars were in the 4.8-4.9 range. There was a car there I really liked but he failed to get in with a 5.8. It was a '41 Willy's which I think is a great looking older model that makes a nice street rod or drag car. They are very popular in the gasser class. This car looks fantastic with its unbelievable black paint that is like a mirror. I could stand well away from it and see myself in the sides of the car. I don't know what engine combination was in it as I didn't see it with the hood up. I will get to see it again at the next quick sixteen race or one of the nostalgia meets later this summer. Here is a picture from yesterday of the car. For my taste it could do with out the wing.

7 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Not Grandpaps Willys

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Yup, that sure is a beauty!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:20 pm

outstanding .... I'd love to be able to see and hear it run
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 am

That's a lovely looking car, but I'm with you on the wing, bandit. It definitely detracts from the overall look.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 am

Very much agree, bandit. That wing could "take flight" and I'd never miss it.
And you are spot on about that black paint job...it looks great :!:

One part of the car I noticed and do like (my trivia). Both for looking cool, and also for being functional, I think the design of the wheel wells is neat. One thing I never liked over the years is when the manufacturers started "wrapping" the wheel wells and rocker panels "underneath." Then the rock chips started big time! My 1953 Chevy had deeper wheel wells, but not as sharp-looking as this 1941 you found. Will look forward to your next round of pictures when you see this car again. Thanks for posting.

bandit1250 wrote:. This car looks fantastic with its unbelievable black paint that is like a mirror...... I will get to see it again at the next quick sixteen race or one of the nostalgia meets later this summer. Here is a picture from yesterday of the car.
d
1 x

~Пока~

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:59 pm

They were and still are the coolest.

I built a model of one pretty much like it about 50 years ago.

Probably still have it in storage somewhere, lol.
5 x
NRA Member

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Gotta agree with CGF. I've always had a soft spot for a prewar Willy's coupe. It's a beaut!
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.