Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bad miss

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Bad miss

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:00 am

My old Tundra V-6 developed a very bad miss last week. It got to where I couldn't drive it deer hunting without thinking it may leave me stranded and I did not want to take my Corolla and try to haul a deer in the trunk of it. The Corolla is to nice to treat it that way. My truck has just shy of 200,000 on it now and only had one set of plugs and wires ever changed on it. The last plug change was 80,000 miles ago and it had a miss when pulling mountains or hauling a load. Turned out to be a plug wire boot firing down the side of the plug. It had little black tracks on the side of the plug showing the misfire. So I went and got new plugs and a new set of wires. It only comes with three plug wires because three coils fire 6 cylinders and the coils mount on the valve cover so I also bought the three coil boots that didn't get replaced last time. Those boots are almost 6" long making the plugs set way down in the cylinder head in the center of the valve cover like the old Hemi Head Chrysler engine cars I had when in high school. Took about an hour to get it done. Went for a ride and only went about half dozen car lengths and told my SIL "it's fixed." He asked how could I know. I told him if it wasn't it would already be miss firing. Feels good to have the old Tundra running on six instead of four. ;) :D This vehicle is not as cluttered up in the engine bay like new vehicles are. Remove the air intake hose from the air box and the throttle plate intake and a bracket or two and everything is easy to get to.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bad miss

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:08 am

Nice! Sure is a relief to find an inexpensive fix for a potential expensive problem. If the rest of your Tundra looks as nice as your engine compartment I can appreciate why you want to keep it around.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:33 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:08 am
Nice! Sure is a relief to find an inexpensive fix for a potential expensive problem. If the rest of your Tundra looks as nice as your engine compartment I can appreciate why you want to keep it around.
I take pride in clean engine bays on my vehicles. Can't stand to touch something and get grease on my fingers. For being 18 years old and seen winter driving since new it has no rust any where and still gets a lot of good comments.
Engine bay on my Chrysler. 36 years old with 149,000 plus miles.

My Chrysler. 1985 Fifth Ave. All factory paint and interior
My Corolla engine compartment. 75,000 milesImage
2 x

rugrat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rugrat » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:35 am

Good to hear it was a fairly easy fix.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:35 am

Nice fix. I love it when I can actually repair something fast and easy. Doesn't happen all that often. Congratulations
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Older trucks are easy to work on. I keep my engine bays looking like yours. Maybe you should remind yourself to proactively change old worn parts before they fail....and it is certainly a very bad idea to continue driving it that way, the unburned fuel will screw up your O2 sensors, and carbon the cylinder heads.

Have you ever changed the timing belt? It should be done, along with the water pump and pulleys, every 90,000 or seven years. Your 3.4 liter engine is non-interference, meaning the valves will not be destroyed if it snaps, unlike the 4.7 V8, but it will still leave you stuck in the boonies and swearing non-stop.... or blocking traffic on a busy freeway. I just changed the belt on my daughter’s 2007 Outback XT, it only has 95,000 miles on it and the belt looked fine, but one of the pulley bearings was dry and rough and would have failed quite soon. Hers is an interference engine, so a failed belt means pulling the engine and rebuilding the top end at least, or an exchange engine. Timing belts are definitely “pay me now or pay me a lot more later”.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Cannot say enough good about the 3.4 ltr engine. We have them in our 4-Runners and they have been great.
Can't say much for gas milage though...oh well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I had a 1991 with the 22RE engine that was bulletproof.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:03 pm
I had a 1991 with the 22RE engine that was bulletproof.
Yup, had a '86 4-Runner with the 22RE. Also great engines. Mine had 290K on it when I sold it, and was still going strong.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:27 pm

great to hear the fix was a simple one ... hopefully she's ready for another couple of hundred thousand
0 x