Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2021 Trip To Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 2021 Trip To Texas

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:36 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:26 pm
What about water/coolant, given your recent coolant level problem?
that problem seems to be resolved
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:41 pm

I would have the same suspicions as Al then. Crossing my fingers you're ok!🤞
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:57 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 pm
Dont know anything about Mercedes except there cars are out of my league. In my experience with cummins you might have a head gasket issue or could even be a head problem. I hope its neither one.
my first thought was a head gasket but I've been doing some reading and it could be any number of things .... with us being so far from home, we've decided to take it to a Freightliner facility where any work they do has to be backed up if there is a problem on the way home .... they should know the Mercedes motor's ins and outs better than most any other shop
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm

I wish you luck on that and hope its nothing to costly. Finding people that know what there doing when it comes to working on those types of things isnt easy by any means.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 pm

Most importantly...you don't want to incur a problem on the hwy. I know you know that Jim...just sayn'
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:14 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm
I wish you luck on that and hope its nothing to costly. Finding people that know what there doing when it comes to working on those types of things isnt easy by any means.
agree .... another reason to go to Freightliner
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:15 pm

well, its been a busy morning .... first thing this morning I called the Freightliner place in Cut and Shoot and quickly learned that they are in sales only .... they gave me the number for the Freightliner place in Houston .... in a call to Houston I learned that I'd need to bring it in before they could say anything and it would take them two or three days before they could get it into their shop for testing .... we were in the process of getting ready to head for Houston when the lady camped on the site next to us knocked on the door .... last night we told her about the problem with our truck .... she runs her own Hot Shot trucking company and this morning came over with contact info for the local independent mechanic she's used since 2013 .... I called him we just got back from taking our Sportchassis to him .... based on her recommendation and seeing his garage, I'm confident that our truck is in good hands .... how get this, last Saturday when we cranked our truck, white smoke bellowed out of the exhaust to the point it looked like we were fogging for mosquitoes .... the smoke cleared within a few minutes .... we drive about 20 miles, some of it at interstate speed .... on the way back we stopped for just under an hour at Kroger ... when I cranked the truck there was a little white smoke .... the truck wasn't cranked again until this morning .... guess what, NO smoke .... yep, NO smoke whatsoever .... that more than perplexes me and I still want the truck to undergo a thorough check .... that's pretty much where things stand, we are driving a car from Enterprise
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Sorry Ya'll are having to deal with such inconvenience and probable expense. Probably would cost a lot more and be even more inconvenient if you broke down on the road though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Intermittent problems are fun to diagnose. I hope he finds something so you have peace of mind. I finally got batteries in my truck today as I went out to start it yesterday after sitting for 2 days and the batterys were just to low to turn it over. I had yo jump it again. When I checked it out the other day the charging system was good and the batterys showed they were good under load. But when they sit for a spell they are losing voltage. I know there over 6 years old and there due. So today I went to the local Oreilleys and stuck in 2 new batterys. Should be good to go now.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:43 pm

among the guys we are camped near, a bad EGR valve is the leading bet .... I looked and one cost about $200 at Auto Zone .... if that would fix the problem, I've take that and be happy :!:
0 x