Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2020 Trip To South Dakota

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: 2020 Trip To South Dakota

Post by Cofisher » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Sorry I missed you all. I am up in Leadville. Fishing is good. Spent a couple hours at the range today. I am happy with the results. I’ll post a report soon. Be safe Jim. And Evan? Yeah, get a haircut 😀
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 pm
Sorry I missed you all. I am up in Leadville. Fishing is good. Spent a couple hours at the range today. I am happy with the results. I’ll post a report soon. Be safe Jim. And Evan? Yeah, get a haircut 😀
hopefully we won't have to contend with COVID next year and can hold a gathering like last year .... rest assured, you were discussed .. ;) .. looking forward to your coming range report
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:12 pm

our morning was spent taking care of housekeeping type items and getting rid of some .... shortly after noon I met some friends at Jay Henges Shooting Park where we fired 100 rounds on a Trap Range .... it was hot out there ..!!!!.. I was happy with my rounds of 23, 22, 21, and 24 .... after we returned to the camper, a friend did come by and cleaned both AC's .... from the looks of the dirty water running off the roof, they needed it .... black tank cleaned .... interior roof AC filters cleaned .... we are now settled in for the evening and looking forward to tomorrow's drive to Clarksville, TN
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:32 pm

today's 306.4 mile drive from just west of St Louis to Clarksville, TN took us 5 hr 5 min .... while near St Louis we put 36.4 non-towing miles on our truck .... our drive included a fuel stop just before leaving Missouri and a single rest stop .... we did drive through some construction slowdowns .... the roughest stretch of road we traveled was the last 20+ miles in Kentucky on I-24 .... tomorrow's projected 5 h 20 min / 350 mi drive is the longest we have scheduled for our return trip from South Dakota .... about the time we reach the NC state they are calling for a 50% chance of (potentially) strong thunderstorms
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:32 pm

today's 306.4 mile drive from just west of St Louis to Clarksville, TN took us 5 hr 5 min .... while near St Louis we put 36.4 non-towing miles on our truck .... our drive included a fuel stop just before leaving Missouri and a single rest stop .... we did drive through some construction slowdowns .... the roughest stretch of road we traveled was the last 20+ miles in Kentucky on I-24 .... tomorrow's projected 5 h 20 min / 350 mi drive is the longest we have scheduled for our return trip from South Dakota .... about the time we reach the NC state they are calling for a 50% chance of (potentially) strong thunderstorms
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am

today's projected 5 h 20 min (350 mi) drive is our longest of the entire trip and will take us back into the Eastern Time Zone .... we are camped in Clarksville, TN which is about 50 miles west of Nashville, TN and years of experience tells us that we don't want to go through there at rush hour .... consequently, we do not want to pull out this morning until after 9AM .... because of NC's high fuel taxes, we do have a fuel stop planned for between Knoxville and the NC state line .... we will probably make a second rest stop somewhere along the drive
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 pm

today we ended up covering 368.3 miles in 6 hr 31 min but while doing so, our string of uneventful day's drives came to an abrupt end ....the last 20+ miles of I-24 in Kentucky, just before crossing into Tennessee is extremely rough .... I believe that is the stretch of road that cracked the steel 2" box tub receiver on the back of our camper .... unknown to us at the time, by the time we got between Nashville and Knoxville the carrier on the back of our camper had bent downward and was dragging on I-40 .... thankfully a young man flagged us down in time to prevent serious damage .... young fellow and I were able to get our Yeti cooler off the carrier but there was no way we could lift it and get it into our camper .... about that time a dump truck driver pulled in behind us and with his help we were able do so .... some may recall our carrier failure a year ago .... the repairs to it are fine, hopefully we can get this latest failure repaired and reinforced .... we are now setup in the East Asheville KOA .... tomorrow morning we will be homeward bound
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Glad you're both OK and there was no serious damage to the camper or to other travelers. Hope you have a boring and uneventful ride home!!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:11 pm
Hope you have a boring and uneventful ride home!!

boring and uneventful sound wonderful to me .. 8-)
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Glad you got help Jim. I know about rough roads. Theres a stretch of I-76 in Denver Im aware of and I just throw on the 4 ways and slow to 25mph to navigate through that rough area. Letting the road get so bad that you break stuff is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55