Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Train Travel -- Trip to NoWhere, KS

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Train Travel -- Trip to NoWhere, KS

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

Back in the late 1980s when I was working at Baker University in Baldwin City, KS, my wife and I had a dinner date on the Midland Train. It took us on a calm & peaceful 22-mile round trip from the Baldwin City Depot (still in operation) to NoWhere, KS. At that time, my youngest daughter participated in this enterprise by helping in the culinary prep for the restaurant cars.

It was a wonderful train trip. And the cars were filled to capacity. Of course, I was with my best friend and my very special lady that evening. The dinner served us under candlelight, which we ordered prior to departure, was delicious. Part of the evening entertainment was barbershop quartet singing, as well as a variety of the nostalgic and well-known songs, which were sung in the 1940s. Baker University students were the waiters, waitresses, and also the performers. My wife, Joyce, and I often glanced out the dining car windows to the scenery "flashing by." Since we traveled about 22 miles in 3 hours, you can just imagine the speed of our engine!

Today, the "Train to NoWhere" has changed it name to "Kansas Belle Dinner Train." https://www.kansasbelle.com I believe if you take your time looking through this site, you'll get a good "flavor" of a peaceful and enjoyable evening on the rails. Especially nice are all the photos of the train cars' interiors as designed for this long-gone era. And don't forget to hold on to something as you walk around the train cars!

Just for your enjoyment. :)
PT7
1 x

~Пока~