Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2019 Summer Trip To South Dakota

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 2019 Summer Trip To South Dakota

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 pm

What river is flooding?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:34 am

the water ends up in the Big Sioux on its way to the Missouri
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:58 pm

busy, busy day in the neighborhood .... second day of a 10 year old and younger baseball tournament that has drawn teams from miles and miles around .... all campsites are full, families with kids are everywhere .... heavy thunderstorms are all around but its been dry here in Estelline since mid morning ... a big walleye fishing tournament over on Lake Thompson with several relatives participating in it has been stopped early due to lightening .... its spooky still right now, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a storm moves through here at most any time .... we don't see too many pickup truck slide-in campers back in NC .... one moved in next to us yesterday and will be here for a couple of days
Attachments
190712 002 new neighbor 001.jpg
190712 002 new neighbor 001.jpg (78.62 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 pm

for the last week since I added to this thread, our time in Estelline had pretty much settled into a routine .... almost daily storms with heavy rain and strong wind come and go .... various family members stop of a visit and "coffee" at mid morning and mid afternoon .... campers come and go .... that all changed shortly before midnight last night .... my wife began having intense pain from an ingrown toenail .... I took a look at it and yes I could have cut out the part causing the problem .... that said, there is no way to do so without causing her even more pain .... so, off we go to the Emergency Room at the hospital 20 some miles south in Brookings .... road construction down there requires driving a poorly marked path through residential / business areas so as to be able to come into the hospital from the rear ... we did make it .... the Emergency Room staff was exceptionally nice and we were impressed with both them and their facility .... back to the camper and finally settled in for the nigh just before 3AM .... back to Brookings early this morning to pick up antibiotics, pain pills and bandage items .... on the way took on good solid fuel for the first time since the day after we got here .... during those 5 weeks we put 899.7 miles on our truck, over that distance she averaged 12.1 mpg .... that's about as good as she gets .... tomorrow we have to schedule an appointment with a Podiatrist for my wife so we will most likely go back to Brookings again .... she's doing fine but the Emergency Room doctor said more work needs to be done to help insure the problem doesn't come back
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 pm

on Monday my wife had surgery on her foot .... today was spent at the camper allowing her rest as much as she is willing and to begin her recovery .... we've changed her bandages twice and so far things have gone as we were told to expect by the Podiatrist who did her surgery .... with us camped by the city park and its swimming pool, our camper has become the central location for her nieces and nephews .... a place to change clothing and to eat homemade cookies after their lessons .... the kids are all doing well and my wife enjoys watching their lessons ... a prescription run to Brookings in the morning is our only planned outing for the rest of this week .... that said, something else is bound to come up ;)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:13 pm

this morning, following our 4th medically related 40+ mile round trip to Brookings in the last 5 days .... after getting back in the early afternoon, we settled in to spend a beautiful day taking care of a few minor housekeeping items .... once again my wife's nieces and nephews came to the park for swimming lessons .... happy to report they are all doing well .... best news of the day is we may well not need to crank the truck tomorrow .... ;)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 pm

time is passing way tooooo quickly .... only 18 days from today we are scheduled to head home .. :( .. much of tomorrow will be spent sprucing up the camper in preparation for the only family event left on our schedule is the reunion of my wife's mother's side of the family that was mentioned above .... it will take place on Sunday in the town park, literally a few yards behind our camper ....
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm

as previously noted, our absolute and final plans have a way of changing at any moment .... heavy rain moved the family reunion mentioned above had to be moved from the park to a room in the local convenience store .... different setting but it went well .... if we are on schedule two weeks from right now we should be about half way from where we are camped in Estelline to our next campground located just east of Kansas City ... taking care of some minor pre-trip details has begun .... this morning I removed our Pressure Pro monitor, took care of a minor wiring problem, and reinstalled it in our truck .... seems to be good to go .... replacement scare light LED bulbs and rubber grommets to replace the badly worn ones on the cooking grate of our Atwood stove should arrive today .... hope to immediately install the grommets and start working on installing the bulbs tomorrow
3 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 am

productive day ..Smile :).. in the post above I mentioned fixing a wiring issue with our tire pressure monitoring system .... well, yesterday's fix failed to resolve the problem .. :cry: .. so my first project today was to find and actually fix the electrical issue with our tire pressure monitor .... as noted, I thought I had it fixed earlier but yesterday power to the unit cut off again .... I have what I've been told is a very good volt meter and I can only say I have no reason to believe that isn't true .... that said, I know very little about how to read it so, for me, its basically a paper weight .. :roll: .. I didn't try to use it to find a short/bad connection but that proved to be a waste of time .... eventually I came to believe that the problem had to be one of two butt connectors .... naturally their location made it impossible to get the tool into position to properly crimp the replacement connectors .... lets just say our folks who get excited about "proper" electrical connections wouldn't approve but after I got through the Pressure PRO Monitor works as it should .... as is normal, the fix involved more tools and time than anticipated .... next project was to install 2 replacement LED scare light bulbs ... doing so involved working 10+ ft off the ground on a ladder .... pictures below show the scare light .... much brighter than the OEM 1156 bulbs .... tomorrow more work on the truck to reinforce the floor of a storage compartment and to install the other scare light LED's ....
Attachments
190731 001 New LED 005.jpg
190731 001 New LED 005.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
190731 001 New LED 003.jpg
190731 001 New LED 003.jpg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
190731 001 New LED 002.jpg
190731 001 New LED 002.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:03 am

another beautiful day, happily, another productive day .... finished installing replacement LED bulbs in the camper's scare lights .... picture below shows my wife inspecting her new bright lights .... recaulked front end cap ... tire pressure monitor working fine .... activated it and found that the off door side front camper tire is low ..Frown :(.. will have to pull it tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it ....
Attachments
190801 001 Maureen New LED 001.jpg
190801 001 Maureen New LED 001.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
0 x