Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2019 Winter in Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: 2019 Winter in Texas

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Bummer. In hind sight, it seems like it might have been worth paying the extra ten bucks.

I have a good friend who's about to take to the road in an RV for an extended period. I'll be sure to tell him this story. Thanks.
JEBar wrote:ever have one of those days when after it is over, you look back and nothing makes sense ... will reorder in a couple of weeks when we get back to a town where we know the post office accepts packages addressed to General Delivery from both UPS or FedEx .... once again back at the camper, still can't make much sense of it all .. :roll:
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm

we've literally ordered items and had them shipped to us, General Delivery at the local post office while camped in towns all over the country .... never, and I do mean never had to put up with anything like what we've gone through today
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

yesterday needing assistance with a couple of issues we stopped at Boerne RV .... their primary focus is repair and service, NOT sales .... I want to give them a positive endorsement as being a good place to do business .... as noted, we needed help with 2 issues .... first, the driver's side running light (which also serves as a parking light and turn signal) on our Sportchassis had gone out .... having a new one in the truck, I replaced the bulb ... it still didn't work .... as can be seen below, the bulb plugs into what I'm going to call an adapter socket, the plugs into the truck's wiring harness .... second, I needed a bottle of rubber seal treatment .... when we walked through the door a fellow called to us to come on in .... I told him what we needed ....he took us into there small store which happened to have exactly what I needed and was pressed $2 less than Amazon .... we then walked outside for him to take a look at our truck .... based on past experience, I sure didn't want to have to find a Freightliner facility .... my hope was he might know a local repair shop where I could take the truck to have it fixed .... as can be seen below, the bulb plugs into the adapter which plugs into the wiring harness .... I opened the hood, he removed the fitting shown below and then removed the bulb .... I heard him say, that's not where it should be ....he walked back into his shop and came back with a small, flat blade screwdriver .... he used it to move a metal contact and plugged the bulb back in ... I'm most happy to say, ALL'S WELL .... he wouldn't take any pay for fixing the socket .... neither the lady in the office and the fellow who did the work could have been any nicer .... we were literally in and out in less than 15 minutes .... we were impressed and pleased

today was our first windy one since coming to Medina Lake .... after a few days with temps in the 70's, the latest forecast for tonight's low to fall to 34 and it to only get up to 41 tomorrow .... looks like the shorts need to go back into the closet and jeans will once again become the order of the day .... further, after tomorrow we are in for a four day rainy/cold spell .... oh well, they also say 80 degree temps are on the way for the last of next week .... the outside of our truck is absolutely filthy .... misty mornings have soaked our campgrounds dirt roads .... driving over them has coated the truck with a serious layer of grime .... other than for looks, there is really no reason to clean it up .... no matter what we do now, she'll still be dirty when we get home .... can't help but wonder what gremlin will pop up next
Attachments
190206 001 bad running light plug 001.jpg
190206 001 bad running light plug 001.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
190206 001 bad running light plug 002.jpg
190206 001 bad running light plug 002.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
190206 001 bad running light plug 003.jpg
190206 001 bad running light plug 003.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Your next gremlin? Looks like that running light runs hot. Discolored plastic socket looks heat damaged (brown). Could also explain the dislocated electrical contact in the socket your fellow found. Might want to see if there is an LED equivalent replacement. Lower power - less heat. Similar brightness.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:26 pm

I was thinking pretty much the same thing .... those fittings with the same number bulbs have been there since the truck was built in '07 .... they have fogged up to where both sides need to be replaced .... my hope is they will last till we get home in April where I'll make a decision on replacing the bulbs, the plugs or the whole headlight fixtures
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm

JEBar wrote:can't help but wonder what gremlin will pop up next
well now I know .. :? .. went out to get into the truck last night so as to drive over a meet George (wiredgeorge) .... truck wouldn't crank .... turned the key, it would go through its prestart protocols, turned key to crank position and nothing .... no sound whatsoever .... as things stand right now, Goodsam has been contacted and will tow the truck over to a place in highly recommended place in Boerne .... no clue what's wrong with the truck .... do plan to rent a vehicle to drive while its in the shop
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Hope it's nothing major. On my JohnDeere the starter relay is wired on the ground side through the oil pressure sensor. So when the sensor goes out or the electrical connection there is dirty - no crank. I've also forgot and left it in gear instead of park and again - no crank. Anyway, best of luck to you.
JEBar wrote:
JEBar wrote:can't help but wonder what gremlin will pop up next
well now I know .. :? .. went out to get into the truck last night so as to drive over a meet George (wiredgeorge) .... truck wouldn't crank .... turned the key, it would go through its prestart protocols, turned key to crank position and nothing .... no sound whatsoever .... as things stand right now, Goodsam has been contacted and will tow the truck over to a place in highly recommended place in Boerne .... no clue what's wrong with the truck .... do plan to rent a vehicle to drive while its in the shop
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm

JEBar wrote: .... truck wouldn't crank .... turned the key, it would go through its prestart protocols, turned key to crank position and nothing .... no sound whatsoever .... as things stand right now, Goodsam has been contacted and will tow the truck over to a place in highly recommended place in Boerne .... no clue what's wrong with the truck .... do plan to rent a vehicle to drive while its in the shop
Bummer, Jim. I hope it's something simple and will be quick to fix. Good luck.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm

good wishes appreciated .... I could be wrong but don't believe it to be a problem with the battery .... my hope is its something like a relay or at worst a starter .... I haven't ever rented a car but looks like I'll be doing so tomorrow
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 am

update :

you know the old saying : if it can go wrong, it will go wrong ..!.. well, its true around here right now .... the wrecker was supposed to be here at 9AM .... got a call saying it was running behind, should be here around 10AM ..... shortly after 10 got another call, at orders from the Highway Patrol their wrecker had to be diverted to help clear a wreck on I-10 .... should get to us in around 3 hrs .... thankfully the shop where we plan to have the repairs made continues to work with these changes .... did some records checking and found out that the batteries in the truck have been there since Oct 2012 .... that could easily be the problem .... in fact, my hope is that is the case
2 x