Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Mini Trip {part two}

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
PT7
Drover
United States of America

A Mini Trip {part two}

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:34 pm

ADDED COMMENT BY PT7 ON 8/4/18:

While at the Eisenhower Complex, I purchased a book compiled by Mr. Don Ramsey in 1972. It was published under the copyright of HallMark Cards here in KCMO. Many of the photos are from the Eisenhower Presidential Library, and the compilation contains many selected statements & accomplishments shared by Ike himself. There is a beautiful and moving introduction written by Ike's wife, Mamie Doud Eisenhower.

As presented in this book, I had never heard about a speech Ike made at Guildhall in London, England, on June 12, 1945. This address was given to the people of London after they held a celebration in honor of Eisenhower after WWII ended.
https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/all ... ldhall.mp3
{This is an mp3 recording replete with the typical "scratching" from recordings made in the 1940s}.

It is an 11-minute, magnificent speech given at the point in time of Ike's life when he was identified as a "World Citizen." This appellation placed him in between being the Supreme Allied Commander of WWII forces and the President of the United States.

You can easily tell "I Like Ike," as he is one of my favorite U.S. Presidents. :D

A Mini Trip {part two}
I took a northern route home to stop and visit the Eisenhower Complex in Abilene, KS. The last visit I made there was in 1990 with my wife, and that was well before she was diagnosed with PD. In a sense, it was a walk down memory lane, remembering our very enjoyable time together walking throughout the complex that day. We visited there for the celebration of Ike's 100th birthday. It comprised a Sunday morning service by Billy Graham, and many KS government officials spoke, as well as Gen. Colin Powell. There was a WWII "fly-by" which was magnificent. One of my favorite "museum" artifacts I saw that day was the train engine and cars Ike traveled in while serving as our 5-Star General in Britain during WWII. It is housed in a museum in MN, and they brought it for this special celebration, and rolled it onto the Abilene tracks. I took one of my photos of the signage on that train station.

So to end my travelogue, here are some photos of the Eisenhower Complex. I've only visited two presidential libraries, and would sure like to see more some day. Been to Ike's Complex, of course, and also the Truman Presidential Museum and Library nearby in Independence, MO. Really enjoy visiting these places, and highly recommend them if ever here in the Midwest.

Trust you'll enjoy my "mini-travelogue." :D
Have a good day!
PT7
DSCN2620.JPG
DSCN2620.JPG (284.45 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2619.JPG
DSCN2619.JPG (212.18 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
The building where Ike, his wife Mamie, and their baby son, Doud, are interred.
DSCN2587.JPG
DSCN2587.JPG (273.89 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2597.JPG
DSCN2597.JPG (237.25 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2596.JPG
DSCN2596.JPG (146.46 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2618.JPG
DSCN2618.JPG (157.5 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2599.JPG
DSCN2599.JPG (294.89 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2601.JPG
DSCN2601.JPG (229.76 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2609.JPG
DSCN2609.JPG (222.23 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
"Champion of Peace"
DSCN2613.JPG
DSCN2613.JPG (241.09 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
Salute to the Armed Services Branches
DSCN2612.JPG
DSCN2612.JPG (209.09 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2605.JPG
DSCN2605.JPG (289.16 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2598.JPG
DSCN2598.JPG (236.61 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
DSCN2608.JPG
DSCN2608.JPG (202.69 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
2 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: A Mini Trip {part two}

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 pm

"Bumping" this post today because I added some new-to-me & interesting historical information I found about Eisenhower.
So please start at beginning of thread.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Very enlightening! Thanks for sharing.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 am

PT7 wrote:...an 11-minute, magnificent speech given at the point in time of Ike's life when he was identified as a "World Citizen." This appellation placed him in between being the Supreme Allied Commander of WWII forces and the President of the United States.
Thanks for sharing this with us. Eisenhower was a true patriot and respected American statesman.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote:In London, my associates and I planned two great expeditions--that to invade the Mediterranean and later that to cross the Channel...No man could alone have brought about this result. Had I possessed the military skill of a Marlborough, the wisdom of Solomon, the understanding of Lincoln, I still would have been helpless without the loyalty, vision, and generosity of thousands upon thousands of British and Americans.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Not much about Ike anymore. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:58 pm

When young kids ask me how old I am I respond by telling them I was born during the Eisenhower Administration. They ask "Who?" and that is my way of initiating a conversation about our 34th President and that perhaps maybe they should take the time to learn some history. I've been to Ike's birthplace here in Denison, TX. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Sure glad you got to take your trip and see your friend from by gone days. Sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Appreciate the history on Ike. A great man from the greatest generation.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Cool 8-) chats with young kids, Chef.
I was born before Ike's administration, and get to tell people I watched him on tv when I was a kid. ;) My folks usually watched him when they could. Interesting that this President was the first one I knew about, and interesting that he is my favorite one.

Glad you liked the post.
PT7
ChefDuane wrote:When young kids ask me how old I am I respond by telling them I was born during the Eisenhower Administration. They ask "Who?" and that is my way of initiating a conversation about our 34th President and that perhaps maybe they should take the time to learn some history. I've been to Ike's birthplace here in Denison, TX. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!
1 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes, Ozark, it was a good trip with a lot of catching up to do since I last saw my friend over three decades ago. But we managed nicely. We both have, of course, obtained gray hair and some aches along the way. Thankfully, not enough of those bumps to dominate our chats. :lol: Glad I had the chance to visit.

No argument about "the greatest generation," and Ike being an important part of it. Only thing that is so very sad -- the history of those folk was played out through such a devastating world war. :( As ChefDuane mentioned, it's good for people to know more of our country's history.
PT7
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Sure glad you got to take your trip and see your friend from by gone days. Sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Appreciate the history on Ike. A great man from the greatest generation.
0 x

~Пока~

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:00 pm

PT7 wrote:Yes, Ozark, it was a good trip with a lot of catching up to do since I last saw my friend over three decades ago. But we managed nicely. We both have, of course, obtained gray hair and some aches along the way. Thankfully, not enough of those bumps to dominate our chats. :lol: Glad I had the chance to visit.

No argument about "the greatest generation," and Ike being an important part of it. Only thing that is so very sad -- the history of those folk was played out through such a devastating world war. :( As ChefDuane mentioned, it's good for people to know more of our country's history.
PT7
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Sure glad you got to take your trip and see your friend from by gone days. Sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Appreciate the history on Ike. A great man from the greatest generation.
Yes sir I definitely agree. It was a very sad and sobering time those folks lived through. Spot on for the need in our current society for especially the younger folks to really have a greater appreciation for and understanding of our country's history.
1 x