Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Underground Travel

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Underground Travel

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 am

I like the travel posts, which JEBar has made recently. They are a fun challenge. And they also reminded of some trips I took years ago, but I won't make you try to find out where I was! ;) Here's my mini-travelogue.

Whenever I "wake up" my computer from the sleep mode, there are rotating images that appear behind the log in windows. They change every few days. This week one photo reminded me of travel I did in the 1980s, even though it's now almost ancient history for me. :lol:

I've traveled three times through different regions of the former Soviet Union. It's been quite a while since I've looked at photos of the Moscow or St. Petersburg or Kiev subway (Metro) systems. During my trips, I used all three systems quite often when in each of these cities. This week a photo of the Moscow Mayakovskaya Metro appeared on my computer screen, and I searched for it on the net. These metro stations are so beautiful, they are considered to be works of art by many folk.

Somewhere in my stored plastic tubs of photographs, I have my own picture of the Moscow Metro (taken many times) and developed from Fuji 35mm film way back then (ancient, yes!!). The main difference between my "snapshot" and the internet image, is that mine had many travelers walking the metro platform. The Moscow photo, sans the travelers, really shows the exquisite artistry of many of these stations. Just for fun, I'm also posting some current internet photos from St. Petersburg and Kiev metros. If you like to view beautiful art, go underground!

Still remember what amazement I felt after riding the metro escalator deep down under the city streets, and facing such a beautiful "hall of artwork!" The first time was especially exciting. It was a cool 8-) travel experience!
PT7 :D

Mayakovskaya Metro in Moscow
Метро Mayakovskaya в Москве.jpg
Метро Mayakovskaya в Москве.jpg (209.49 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Admiralty Metro in St. Petersburg
Санкт-Петербург1.jpg
Санкт-Петербург1.jpg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Kiev Metro
Метро Киев1.jpg
Метро Киев1.jpg (108.92 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
3 x

~Пока~

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Underground Travel

Post by Bugs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:39 am

Wow that's impressive. I had no idea they had that in their subways. If that was here in the US it would be destroyed with graffiti.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:13 am

I would say there probably is some graffiti floating around in these metros. But generally, Russian people love their art & artists, literature & writers, poetry & poets. It's a great part of their history, and many are quite proud of it.

Talking about the artwork in Moscow, it definitely is on display above ground also. Although the Moscow Kremlin is the seat of the government, most of the structures within and nearby its walls are impressive museums housed in fantastic architecture. Here is my very favorite one located on Red Square just opposite the Kremlin Wall...seeing this in person during my visits was a great experience, too. (I wish I had my own photos to post, but none are in an electronic format; only on 4" X 3" fading-away paper stored in a plastic tub). I'm certain this is the most photographed cathedral in the entire country!! Could also be neat competition in a photo contest against Disney World's Kingdom castle. ;)

So here are some follow-up photos to add to my mini-travelogue.

St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Russia
Собор1 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg
Собор1 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg (149.54 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Собор2 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg
Собор2 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg (141.84 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Собор3 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg
Собор3 Св. Бэзилса в Московском Кремле.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 2533 times

Bugs wrote:Wow that's impressive. I had no idea they had that in their subways. If that was here in the US it would be destroyed with graffiti.
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:26 am

Those are extraordinary pics. Thanks for sharing.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am

Extraordinary indeed.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:46 pm

oooooh, my favorite your Метро Mayakovskaya в Москве.jpg
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234