Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2018 Summer Trip West

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: 2018 Summer Trip West

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Sounds like you been having a good time making memories with friends and all that goes with it. Grilled Molasses-Mustard pork chops, wish I'd been there.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Sounds like an enjoyable day in good 'ole hot MO! That it is, as have been many, many, too many previous days this summer. This summer heat/humidity have kept me mostly using indoor shooting ranges. I applaud your fortitude spending range time outside! ;)

The friends sharing is always special, and everyone got treated to a grilled dinner, which sounds very tasty! Glad most of all for the "good evening, one we will remember" shared with friends. Always the best.

Continued safe travels!
PT7
JEBar wrote:8-4-18 .... hot, actually a Missouri HOT day .... we spent the morning with friends on a Trap range at Jay Henges State Park located just west of St Louis .... by the time we were approaching the 100 round mark dehydration was setting in .... may go back over in the morning but then again, may not .... ... in spite of the temp reaching the mid 90's it has been very comfortable in the camper all day .... tonight we grilled Molasses-Mustard pork chops for the guys who went to Jay Henges and their wives .... in short a good evening, one we will remember
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm

the meal went well .... just emailed one of the guys the recipes, all of the wives wanted a copy .... unfortunately, the rifle/pistol range at Jay Henges is still closed and won't be open any time soon .... the staff says they aren't looking forward to the reaction when word gets out that it won't be open prior to this fall's hunting season .... large numbers of hunters come there prior to the season for practice and sighting in their rifles and they aren't going to be happy .... I'm debating going back for a couple of hours in the morning, much depends on the temperature .... I haven't cleaned my 11-87 in the last few weeks and during that time she's sent 700 loads of 7 1/8 shot after clay pigeons .... if I go back, another hundred will be added to that total .... its going to require a complete disassembly and a good bit of time to get her cleaned up
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:04 am

I can just imagine all the unhappy campers unable to sight in rifles and practice before hunting begins. That would surely happen here also. Both MDC ranges, Lake City & Parma Woods, are absolutely packed, with long lines to wait for an open booth. I'm grateful that I can get up to my son's-in-law outdoor range up north....always have a guaranteed spot on his range at that time of year. He is most generous with especially family, and close friends, too. :)

You're not just a-woofin' about a s/g mega cleaning facing you after 700 loads. I don't think I'd look forward to it either. The most shooting I've done before cleaning my 12-ga was around 100 rounds. Those shotshells (and slugs, too) sure do a number on the barrel! As you do the clean, just take heart knowing you'll see that shiny, mirror-like bore once again! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am

agree on small game shotshells being dirty .... once we fire a few boxes, it seems to reach a point where dirty is dirty .... our 11-87's barrel always cleans up quickly .... I then remove the trigger mechanism (for lack of a better term) and thoroughly coat it with Ballistol .... after a few minutes its pretty easy to brush or use compressed air to get rid of the grit .... still haven't decided if I'm going back to Jay Henges today
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:22 am

If you do hit Jay Henges, take your largest water bottle with you.
Here in northwestern MO we're predicted to reach +97* & sunny; sure ain't fun for me.
I'd bet your eastern-edge MO area will be close to the same.
Have a good day, no matter if you shoot or not. :)
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 am

good wishes appreciated .... right now I'm leaning toward a sit out in the shade and clean a shotgun morning .. ;)
1 x