Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2018 Summer Trip West

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: 2018 Summer Trip West

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Yes, there were some strong storms nearby, but missed my Northland area and was focused just north of KCMO. Here there was lightning, thunder, rain & wind, but not heavy-duty stuff. Actually wish I had a little more water in my rain gauge. My friend who lives about 15 miles northeast of me (toward you guys way up north) had over 3 inches of rain, and stronger winds. The weather can be pretty wild at moments during tornado season.

BTW, the blown-away semi trucks you mentioned were reported on ABC new tonight. Glad you missed all that stuff!

So thanks. All is well. Enjoy that nice weather now.
Take care.
PT7

JEBar wrote:the first 4 pictures show the storm as it rolled in last night at Victorian Acres .... pictures 5 & 6 were taken this morning .... they show the bath house where we all took shelter .... Victorian Acres is about 5 miles due west of I29 ... this morning a couple of miles north of where we got back on I29 we came upon 5 semi trucks laying on their side that had been literally blown off of the road by the storm .... best guess, the 5 trucks were spread over about 200 yards long .... a few miles up the road we came upon a 6th semi on its side that had been blown off 29 and down an embankment .... along the way we saw several building with blown off roofs and what appeared to be some campers flipped in a campground we passed .... it quickly became very clear that we were very lucky .... 5 hr 5 min / 317.6 miles after leaving Victorian Acres we are in Estelline .... the weather is wonderful ... this is the first time we can remember that we've completed our full setup on the day we arrived here, pictures 7 & 8 .... after going "uptown" to eat with one of my wife's brothers and his wife, we are settled in for the evening .... they are calling for it to get down to 48 tonight .. :D

PT .... we understand that KC had some rough weather as well .... hope you guys are OK
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm

good to know that you folks are OK .... I suspect that we were very lucky to get through the area of the toppled big rigs when we did .... big wreckers where just arriving .... I suspect that once they were able to go to work, lanes would have to be closed and traffic backups would quickly grow
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Stay safe everyone.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm

6-13-18 .... the sun came up on a truly beautiful morning in the neighborhood .. :D .. pictures of our site where we are scheduled to be parked until early August are shown below ....normally our first day would include completing our setup but that's all been taken care of .... after breakfast we made a 40 some mile round trip shopping run to Brookings .... both of our sons are bringing their families out here this week .... we just got word that our oldest son and his family just landed in Sioux Falls .... it will take them something over an hour and a half to get to where we are .... our youngest son and his family are slated to leave home driving around noon tomorrow ..... they are both coming to visit relatives and attend the town's Rodeo .... our whole family is really looking forward to the next week ....
Attachments
180612 001 setup in Estelline 003.jpg
180612 001 setup in Estelline 003.jpg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
180612 002 setup in Estelline 002.jpg
180612 002 setup in Estelline 002.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 am

6-15-18 ---- hot and humid pretty well sums it up .... the highlight of our day was or youngest son and his family rolling in .... all of us attended the local Rodeo---- very proud of our 8 and 5 year old granddaughters who took 3rd and 4th place in the Mutton Bustin' event .. 8-) .. 15 kids participated and our granddaughters were the highest finishing girls .... tomorrow promises to be a busy one

6-16-18 ---- with one of our sons and his family due to fly back home tomorrow, we tried to pack as much as possible in today .... following the morning 5K run and the rodeo parade, the guys went to a local sporting clays range and the ladies took the kids to the pool .... a mid afternoon visit to the town's Veterans' Memorial Park really had a positive impact .... rain showers blew through during tonight's rodeo performance .... excellent competition, Marueen's 10 year old great nephew took second place in the miniature bull riding event .... as wast the case last night when our granddaughters took 2nd & 3rd in the mutton busting, a solid section of family was there to cheer them on .... I didn't attend tonight's rodeo because we invited her family to come to the camper "for breakfast for dinner" .... 23 showed up for Western Omelets, pancakes, biscuits, and bacon .... very little leftovers and very positive comments .... we are now settled in for the evening ... heavy rain and thunderstorms are supposed to move in tomorrow .... that's pretty much the norm when we arrive .. :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm

6-17-18 .... the forecasted 100% of rain at 4PM has moved in with gusto a few hours late .. :roll: .. those who have followed some of our prior trips know that we tend to bring rain with us .... this trip is no exception .. :? .. we've been here 6 days and it has rained on 3 of them .... this area was suffering from a drought; at least for now, that seems to have been relieved .... unfortunately, the flight home for our oldest son and his family has proven to be far more problematic than their smooth flight out here .... a snafu in fueling their flight in Sioux Falls delayed their departure for Chicago sufficiently to miss their connecting flight .... consequently instead of flying from Chicago to Raleigh, they had to fly to Philadelphia so as to be able to catch a flight from there to Raleigh .... instead of arriving at 6 something PM they are now scheduled to get to there well after midnight .... long day indeed, specially with one of our granddaughters due to be back in school tomorrow morning and our for our son who has to be back at work ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 pm

6-19-18 .... another good/very busy day .... 50+ mile round trip to take defective 3 burner stove to FedEx and for some shopping .... Maureen took our son and his family on a mini tour of South Dakota State University ...while in the area we ate at Nicks (http://nickshamburgers.com/index.htm) ....talk about a history, its been in operation at the same location since 1929 .... my wife first ate there when she was 7 years old and she says the taste of the burgers remains the same .... reasonably priced, limited menu (http://nickshamburgers.com/menu.htm).... inside and outside seating .... very popular with the local folks and students at South Dakota State University .... on the way home we drove over to Minnesota where our grandson could get an up close look at a windmill farm .... later one of our sisters-in-law had arranged for our grandson to ride a horse for the first time .... that experience will be one he talks about for a long time to come .... later another 50+ mile round trip to watch a great nephew play baseball ... fun to see him play but his team was on the short end of the score .... we are now settled in for the evening with another busy day on tap for tomorrow
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 pm

6-20-18 .... another full day .... we ate lunch at a niece's home .... her husband and she farm over 2,000 acres .... our North Carolina born and bred grandson was fascinated by their size and variety of large farm equipment .... after lunch we returned to the camper and our son took his family west to visit with other cousins .... tonight we grilled South Dakota sirloins for 10 relatives, that's a lot of steak to cook on a Holland Companion ..Wink ;).. the Honey Mustard Steaks ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 593#p61593 were a big hit, copies of the recipe were requested .... its rained off and on all day, we had to put out the awning for cooking and move a picnic table into the dry where we could eat .... thankfully, another good day
Attachments
180620 001 SD Honey Mustard Sirloin 001.jpg
180620 001 SD Honey Mustard Sirloin 001.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 pm

6-22-18 .... our youngest son and his family pulled out for home around 8:30 this morning .... last report we had they were 27 miles from Nashville .... if they continue to make good time they should be home by 9 or 10 in the morning .... that's much time than my wife and I have ever made that drive .... after they were gone and we took a 2,500 step walk, since then things have really slowed down .... with the forecast for heavy rain tomorrow and continuing each day through Monday, we decided to replenish our grocery supplies .... a trip 45 or so mile round trip to Hy-Vee in Brookings took care of things .... tomorrow is the first day since way before we left home that we have absolutely nothing planned ..Smile :).. next projected outing should come on Monday when we need to return to Brooking but this to to Walmart to fill some prescriptions ....
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:53 am

Be careful, tornado's possible according to the Weather Channel, in your area.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856