Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2018 Summer Trip West

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 2018 Summer Trip West

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 pm

7-25-18 .... one heck of a day .... for us, it started early because we had to be on the road early to take our truck over to Marshall, MN (about 70 miles east) to have it worked on at Harrison Freightliner .... the ABS warning light has been on since shortly after we left home and an ABS 136 code has shown up on the small info screen in the dash .... the good news has been, while there has been something wrong with the antilock brake system, the regular truck brakes work well .... with us due to leave for home next week, we decided to have the truck's computer scanned to determine the nature of the problem and by doing so would know for sure that its safe to drive .... thankfully, the trouble seems to be a defective brake sensor on the rear driver's side .... one has been ordered, if it arrives as projected we will head back over there on Monday to have it installed .... from there we took the long way home to return through Brookings to pick up some groceries and on west to Volga to take on fuel .... the list time we added any fuel since the day after we arrived .... the fuel at Valley Mart in Volga is pure #2 diesel, no bio whatsoever .... its the type of fuel our truck was designed to use ..... my wife handled the math, during the 773 miles we covered, we averaged 12 MPG .. 8-) .. that's OUTSTANDING .... we have gotten 12 at times in the past but never over such a long fuel run .... all of the above was accomplished well before noon .... in addition to spending the afternoon visiting with relatives and neighbors we also took care of a small leak in the camper's black tank flusher hose .... the connection that connects the hose to the hose fitting had worked loose, thankfully nothing major .... lastly, we found the driver's side windshield wiper has gone bad, hope to replace them both in the morning .... in short, we are in the process of getting our rig ready to head home
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 am

Although "one heck of a day," gotta prep for the return trip home. BTW, you're driving your summer home home. Definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Your gas mileage heading west was excellent. I can say that because of my cross-country driving experience back in the late 1990s. I owned a wonderfully comfortable and great-riding 1975 Chrysler Newport. Traveled the OR Trail from the Midwest to Portland, loaded with three people, and as many belongings as I could take to start a new job there. The car ran excellently, but I think I only got around 10-11 mpg on that trip. I didn't mind it because I enjoyed the car very much. But I also got to see a lot of gas stations along the OR Trail, too! :lol:

Hope your mileage will even improve on this return trip heading east, JEBar.
Be safe as you travel home, and enjoy the scenic views of the countryside once again.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 am

we have been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit all of the lower 48 states .... our country is blessed with beautiful areas from ocean to ocean and we thoroughly enjoy visiting them .... history has taught us to build fuel expenses into our travel budget at a fuel burn rate of 9 mpg .... when we get back home and run the numbers we usually average a bit over 9 .... our truck wasn't built for biofuel ... at a 5% level I can't tell much, if any, difference .... as the mix rises to 10%, 15%, 20% the truck's mileage drops from 9 to 7.5 +/- mpg .... at various times we have gotten around 12 but averaging 12 (it actually figured out to 11.9555..) for over 770 miles hasn't happened before .... I attribute the mileage to burning pure #2 diesel and to traveling the flat roads out here .... once we hookup and start dealing with stop and go traffic, the mileage will most certainly drop back .... if things go as planned, one week from today, at about this time, we should be hooking up and very close to heading home
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:58 am

And approximately 4 weeks after that I will be heading out your way to be your new neighbor. Antsy.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:54 pm

that'll be great .. 8-) .. we continue to take care things that need to be dealt with prior to heading home .... when the fellows that replaced the truck's windshield following a hail storm reinstalled the wiper blades, they didn't get them properly oriented .... during yesterday's drive to Marshall, MN in a heavy rain, it quickly became clear that the wiper blades needed to be replaced .... to replace them required driving a little over 20 miles to Brookings .... I must commend the fellows at the Advance auto parts for replacing the blades and adjusting the wiper orientation .... very nice folks, if/when we should need auto type parts, we will most certainly go back down there .... with our luck, now that we have new wiper blades, we probably won't drive through rain again for who knows how many months .... we also filled the washer fluid reservoir, it took a full gallon of washer fluid .... the water softener tank we have been using was removed, back flushed, recharged, and packed away .... per history, the next time it will be needed is January when we are setup in Texas .... our second water softener tank is now in use where it will be serve until next Wednesday when it will undergo the same process and placed back in storage .... in short, we are in no rush and don't want to get to where we need to get into one .... just plugging away
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 pm

7-31-18 .... another beautiful day in the neighborhood .... the type that we won't see back home until much later this fall ... we made considerable progress in breaking camp and storing things for travel .... among them were our Holland Companion Grill, portable stove, cooking table, camp oven, flag, dusk to dawn controller and cords, Masterbuilt smoker, TV trays, outside recliner, 3-step stool .... in addition, after finding a caulked seam over the off door side 110 outlets, other seams were checked .... none looked bad but, out of an abundance of caution, we touched up several places .... we are allowing the level of ice in our Yeti cooler to go down .... with us scheduled to pick up large load of South Dakota steaks before we pull out Thursday morning, we need to make sure the inside of the cooler is kept cold while having little to no ice in it at that time .... once the steaks are loaded, we will cover them with ice .... we are scheduled to arrive home a week after leaving SD and need to maintain a covering of ice throughout that time .... tomorrow morning we plan to go shopping for trip groceries and to top off the truck's tanks with fuel .... after lunch we need to take the water softener out of service, backflush, then recharge it, and then pack it away in the camper's basement .... later in the afternoon we need to wash the truck's windows .... we also need to clean the black tank, drain and partly refill the fresh water tank .... lastly, before we call it a day we need to pack our camping chairs and our 5 step stool .... in short, nothing special .... just things that need to be done
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 pm

Wew! I am exhausted just reading what you have done and will be done yet.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 pm

understood .... we take all of the items in our full setup on all outings but we don't put it all out unless we are going to be somewhere for a few weeks or more .... we do plan to spend 3 weeks in October at Chesapeake so that will be the next time most of it sees the light of day .... after that it will be in early January in Texas
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm

with the exception of taking down our portable satellite dish and airing up a couple of tires in the morning, all that remains for us to get ready to roll is disconnecting the utilities and hooking up .... usually breaking down and storing our VuQube along with its stand only takes a few minutes .... tomorrow it will take a bit longer due to the need to clean a two month accumulation of cottonwood seeds off of and out of every nook and cranny .... we hope to be able to leave our site before 9AM .... from there we have to tow uptown where we will load a couple of thousand dollars of South Dakota steaks .... it would be nice to be able to pull out of town before 10AM .... tomorrow's drive should be a relatively simple one, almost all interstate highways and no major city traffic to deal with .... per Google Maps it will cover about 300 miles and take about 4 1/2 hours .... no fuel stops, one or two short breaks
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:48 pm

8-4-18 .... hot, actually a Missouri HOT day .... we spent the morning with friends on a Trap range at Jay Henges State Park located just west of St Louis .... by the time we were approaching the 100 round mark dehydration was setting in .... may go back over in the morning but then again, may not .... one of our friends who lives not far from the West St Louis KOA .... he works for Boeing in St Louis building fighter jets and on the side works on residential AC's .... after leaving Jay Henges we returned to our camper where he cleaned both of its roof mounted AC's .... my concern was that after sitting in Estelline for a couple of months with cottonwood seeds floating through the air, they would be stopped up .... the front (bedroom) AC proved to be cleaner than he expected so it was pretty easy to take care of .... the rear was a much different story .... he said it looked some someone had sheared a large collie in it .... thankfully, he had the vacuum, spray, tools and knowledge to take care of it .... I can say for sure that the cleanings helped .... in spite of the temp reaching the mid 90's it has been very comfortable in the camper all day .... tonight we grilled Molasses-Mustard pork chops for the guys who went to Jay Henges and their wives .... in short a good evening, one we will remember
Attachments
180804 001 Kevin Jung Cleanng Front AC 001.jpg
180804 001 Kevin Jung Cleanng Front AC 001.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
180804 001 Kevin Jung Cleaning Rear AC 002.jpg
180804 001 Kevin Jung Cleaning Rear AC 002.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
0 x